Canon announces development of the EOS R5 full-frame mirrorless camera

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
Wow....Thom Hogan was spot on with his article earlier today: http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/2020-mirrorless-camera/lenses-let-through-less.html

This trend to slower and slower apertures is disturbing. I've managed to sort of adapt to my Sony 200-600 at f/6.3 but now "only" 500mm and another 1/3 stop loss of light? Enough already

is the RF 100-500 f4.5-7.1 filling the slot of the EF 100-400 for the RF lens lineup?, if the new RF is f5.6@ 400mm, it is areplacement for the 100-400 with an extra 100mm of f reach. Hopefully,Canon would only make this move if they can match or exceed the IQ of the 100-400.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
My (not joking this time) guess -- in no particular order:
  • A non-L 50 prime of some sort (nifty fifty, weird pancake, mid-ish-level like the 35 f/1.8 STM 1:2 Macro, etc.)
  • Some small non-L primes like the 35 f/1.8
  • A cheaper/slower UWA lens (f/4 or f/5.6 would have been my guess, but some super slow f/9 -14 is probably coming now. :p
  • Another L prime, perhaps the 24, 35 or 135
  • A 1:1 macro, surely (90-100 or so)
- A

35 1.2. Come on, baby!

Upvote 0
Exactly - look at some 1DX III videos. New AF-ON with the sensor looks to be much faster in moving the focus points, than the manual joystick is. Wonder why Canon did it to us, to not include it, as the R5 is going to be a top line R body, and it came even sooner with the 1DX III. Seems to be another marketing trickery aka crippling on the Canon's side.

sigh. #$()*&#$ I hate that ___ word

No it's not the top camera ..is the 5D the top camera on the EF line?

The 1 series RF camera is coming in 2021. do you really truly think they'd shove absolutely everything into the R5 when the R1 is coming out next year? what would be the point of the R1 (likely name now for it)?

you want 1 series ergos.. then wait for the 1 series camera.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
OK. here is a question. If you didn't know the name for this camera and someone gave you the specs(as we know them) and told you it was the flagship(1dx) equivalent. Would you be impressed or disappointed? And as such. What do you think this will mean for a future R1?I mean crap!!!!!!!!!!!!! How could they possibly improve enough over this to release an actual R1.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
OK. here is a question. If you didn't know the name for this camera and someone gave you the specs(as we know them) and told you it was the flagship(1dx) equivalent. Would you be impressed or disappointed? And as such. What do you think this will mean for a future R1?I mean crap!!!!!!!!!!!!! How could they possibly improve enough over this to release an actual R1.

Purely my speculation:

1. it will have 1 series designed ergonomics and look, feel, smell, and taste like a 1 series camera. Pros used of 1 series EF cameras will be right at home with the R1.
2. lower MPix. Probably around the 20mp, but faster fps than even the 20 - maybe with even a faster readout speed so that mechanical shutter isn't necessary (think A9). No 8K video. 4K RAW, 5.5K RAW,etc like the 1DX Mark III. 30fps sounds about right, but only with RF lenses, speed will drop down with EF lenses.
3. probably better AF than the R5.
4. better weather sealing
5. better build quality
6. larger EVF, better magnification
7. better battery life

they'll roll this out in 2021 with the release of the 300,400,500 and 600mm RF super telephotos and Sony will cease to be relevant.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
I think alot of stills shooters might prefer the normal flip up/down instead of articulating. For me the articulating is a huge draw

I don’t like flip screens, but if you are going to have one I prefer fully articulating. You can flip the screen in to protect the screen during transport.

Upvote 0
- DR better at least 1/3 - 2/3 of a stop

Actually, right now in the R line, the R itself is the flagship. When R5 has been released, it'll be the new flagship. With R1 - I don't know what they can put in it. Even higher fps? low-lag EVF? super accurate autofocus?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
My EF 85 1.8 has been letting me down on my EOS R, but I'm not in the financial position to replace it with the RF 85 1.2, so bring on a sharper RF version (preferably with IS).
how's it been letting you down? (off topic) for that lens you really need to use DPP's DLO function against it.. especially to combat the PF that it exhibits.

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
(...) and Sony will cease to be relevant.

I bet that a lot of the folks who kept their EF lenses and went
the MC-11 route are coming back in hordes.

After all, Sony never got the user interface and ergonomics
right, and returning is just one body away for those folks.

By the end of the year Canon will have crossed the 50% market
share again. This beast easily rivals the Nikon D6 - at likely a
much smaller price tag!

Upvote 0