Here are more images of the Canon EOS R5

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I hate the fixed screen on the 5d series, so difficult to take very low level wildlife shots witout destroying your clothes and laying on the ground. I dont see a problem with failure, things today are well designed, plus if youre worried just leave it in its original position and don't articulate it. problem solved.
Also, most of us are pretty careful with our gear. It's expensive, hard earned and we want it to last. I personally take further care when in certain situations, i.e. screen out, on rails with dual flash. You get the point. I can't keep it safe from all freak accidents but that shouldn't be a reason to be against flippy screens. Things will happen, do what you can to lessen them.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
...features/paying for things you don't use....all of that. Expand please.

My business is mostly architecture and interiors (examples HERE). While I do have to capture occupants using the spaces (lots of school kids lately) most of my 'subjects' are buildings, just standing there. So blazing speeds and fast processing is wasted on me. And IBIS is not required--5 stops is plenty for what I do. I could use higher resolution. Most the images I produce are two images spliced together--it would save me a lot of time if I could crop a view out of a single exposure. But I'm not in a hurry there either, because the current 17mm TSE isn't really sharp enough to leverage 75 MP. (before my cyber buddies flame me mercilessly: Yes it's a wonderful lens, but it really does smear the corners and sides where I need detail). Sure it would be nice, but my 30 MP 5Div and R are plenty for 19" wide images at 360 ppi.

As to "paying for" I just mean, there's that monster processor and shutter, and that IBIS thing just laying around costing battery charge and waiting to break. That is probably not really a concern, I've already got a spare battery or two, and Canon will make a really dependable IBIS no doubt. But the camera is plenty complex already, and we've all seen the technical drawings of IBIS units. I would rather live without. Yes it's all wonderful stuff and yes we don't want to live in the past and yada yada. In the end, I know there's a lot of economy to be had by giving the wildly divergent masses everything possible in a single camera instead of many.

For me, I would appreciate it if--like my Civic--I didn't HAVE to buy the turbo engine if the regular one is all I need.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
My business is mostly architecture and interiors (examples HERE). While I do have to capture occupants using the spaces (lots of school kids lately) most of my 'subjects' are buildings, just standing there. So blazing speeds and fast processing is wasted on me. And IBIS is not required--5 stops is plenty for what I do. I could use higher resolution. [..]

Most recent cameras with IBIS have some form of 'super resolution', where IBIS will shift the sensor a tiny bit for a couple of shots and combine them into a higher res picture. I hope Canon cameras with IBIS will have a similar feature.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Oct 3, 2015
I hate the fixed screen on the 5d series, so difficult to take very low level wildlife shots witout destroying your clothes and laying on the ground. I dont see a problem with failure, things today are well designed, plus if youre worried just leave it in its original position and don't articulate it. problem solved.
If anything I've found they protect against the kind of damage I'm likely to inflict more than fixed. Hits to the rear screen are my most likely accidental damage and I can rotate full articulating screen 180 in stowed position so I don't need a screen protector. When the screen is flipped out horizontally it is either in my hands on shoulder or hand strap, or it is on a sturdy tripod or would be screwed to some kind of grip gear such as convi clamp installed onto railing/fence/door frame etc if travelling without tripod and utilising environment instead (eg. not precariously balanced on something). I imagine most other folks are in similar scenarios thus most the accidents I've had is one of my kitbags falling/striking something or when the camera is slung and climbing and there is risk taking strikes to screen.

I'm yet to break a screen but I had had minor scratching from things getting jostled in kit bag in rough transport or accidents and imho the rotatability (is that a word?) of the rear screen gives me more not less peace of mind thus I prefer them. With common sense like folding before stowing loose in kit bag or not leaving stowed position in high liability shooting conditons (ie. common sense bit) where it may take a forceful hit I doubt you could seriously damage one accidentally. Of cours there may be something obvious that I'm not thinking of that doesn't apply to my shooting style but I think sometimes folks protesting durability dislike the idea rather than actual common proven issues.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Oh, Lord, what a joy: there's a joystick again :love: I only wonder how you can quickly change from stills to video (sorry, I am no R/RP/M user). I really like the video lever with the start/stop button of the 7D/5D series DLSRs. Overall the R5 looks really nicely compact, given its monster specs that require a quite massive processing power. I wouldn't hesitate to call it a little beauty, based on those images.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Oh, Lord, what a joy: there's a joystick again :love: I only wonder how you can quickly change from stills to video (sorry, I am no R/RP/M user). I really like the video lever with the start/stop button of the 7D/5D series DLSRs. Overall the R5 looks really nicely compact, given its monster specs that require a quite massive processing power. I wouldn't hesitate to call it a little beauty, based on those images.
That red button puts you in video mode, the lever was a mirror related switch no need any longer right?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jazzytune

EOS 80D looking to buy EOS R soon...
Sep 6, 2019
I prefer the screen is fixed because I don't like moving parts, risk to failure.
I've had an articulated screen on the 700D (T5i) and 80D, and really, your fear of screen failure due to a moving part is greatly exaggerated! I never had a problem whatsoever with the articulated screen of my cameras. Besides, you don't have to move it if you don't want to. However, if you do, it will very likely be for a short while, to take a picture from a low angle or above your head for example (I assume you don't vlog if you don't see a use for an articulated screen). Then you move it back in place when you're done and continue to use it as a fix screen. Believe me, it's sturdier than you might think! ;-)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I shoot in all climates and outdoors situations. Snow, ice, water, sand, worms eye view, brush, rocky mountaintops etc. A flippy screen does not worry me one iota. Now...snakes, dogs off leash, bears, hunters, poor footing, boulders, avalanches, falling ice, moose....those worry me.

Might as well stay home and shoot studio macro with the fear of your screen getting bumped.Order a pizza.Save money on sunscreen. Now that's living.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
Do you feel comfortable with the the placement of "AF-ON" and "*" buttons on R?
Good point. I find I accidentally press the AF-on button more than on my 5DsR - I have this set to toggle One shot / Servo AF. The * is fine, but did take a bit of learning. I would be more concerned about the position of the Q button in the R5 as this is where my thumb naturally rests.

I really enjoy shooting with my R. Shot an event last night and the R now feels more at home than my 5DsR. Just back from two weeks backcountry hiking. Normally would have taken my M3, but happy I took the R, in spite of the increased weight.

My comment was about the strength of the comments, given the evolution (rather than revolution) of ergos with the R5. The R took a while to love, but now I do. Simple things like the hold-lock on the touch bar make a difference.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
I shoot in all climates and outdoors situations. Snow, ice, water, sand, worms eye view, brush, rocky mountaintops etc. A flippy screen does not worry me one iota. .

Indeed, I have the screen reversed for protection. On my very first hiking trip with my 5DsR, I cracked the rear screen. No chance of that with the R.

Upvote 0
Thank you for continuing w/ the conversation. But, bro, you only read (ie quoted) like 1% of the content. If you wanted a conversation, you could’ve asked my intent.

I made a suggestion that the two built-in 1D grips are significantly much more alike in terms of handling than others (e.g. 5D or 7D), and that should be good aim for the R5. If you have first hand experience w/ the R grip, please articulate....

Don't bro me, bro, lol. Anyway, I have no response to your statement. You quoted me, and I was just saying your response to my quote had nothing to do with what I said. I'm sure a 1D-class grip is awesome compared to the R and all other add-on grips.

My experience using the R grip on the R has been great – why would I say it was "perfect" if I didn't own it and use it? To me, it feels much more integrated once attached than the battery grips I'd used on the original 5D and 5DsR. The R with battery grip probably feels better to me because the overall size is smaller, and the ergonomics are just spot-on. As for integrated grips, I've never used a 1D-class camera to know anything about that.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I've had an articulated screen on the 700D (T5i) and 80D, and really, your fear of screen failure due to a moving part is greatly exaggerated! I never had a problem whatsoever with the articulated screen of my cameras. Besides, you don't have to move it if you don't want to. However, if you do, it will very likely be for a short while, to take a picture from a low angle or above your head for example (I assume you don't vlog if you don't see a use for an articulated screen). Then you move it back in place when you're done and continue to use it as a fix screen. Believe me, it's sturdier than you might think! ;-)

Does the screen stay locked in place by some mechanism...and you have to click something to unlock it to swing it out?

Just curious...I'm a bit rough on my cameras, especially when shooting concerts, etc...its hanging down and hoping that it won't snag on my belt or bag or something, and have the screen flip out when I don't want it to....

I've not used articulating screens before, so wondering if they "lock in" and stay there unless you purposefully unlock it to swing it out?

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

Upvote 0

AdmiralFwiffo

Terrible photographer
Feb 17, 2020
It is not fragile. I've dropped my rebel (t3i) with the screen open, and it did not break. I've also clumsily smacked it several times without breaking it. I've broken other parts of the camera, but I've never broken the articulating screen.

They also don't swing out easily by accident. If you have it folded back on the camera, it will stay there.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0