Canon updates EOS R5 8K and autofocus information

Dec 25, 2012
As someone who has been immediately impacted by work shortages due to the current health crisis and cancellation of events globally, I wonder how this new body's release will go over for some. Unless the section of the economy which affects us rebounds sooner than not, I'll continue looking forward to a late adopter stance if not refurb. Especially as these video specs roll in and as a stills only shooter, it looks to be higher priced initially than I first surmised.
This is a real issue for what comes after the current crisis. Pros in the event/wedding/corporate space are hurting with many that will go bust.
What will drive initial sales is the usual group of amateurs with good paying jobs and retirees. Pros will be wary of letting go of cash for the time being.
Near death experiences taught me long ago to buy only when necessary.
My bank will not take a camera in lieu of a mortgage payment

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Glad I wrote "almost nobody!" :D :D

Yes of course, if we have the tools we will use it! I just wrote that because i really don´t know how many PC´s will take over that 8k footage and i am almost certain that we will need to wait some time to get proper support from Final cut or Premiere. Before that it will be painfull to use 8k like the 5.5k from1dx3 is being. After that yes, if its more easy to use it...we will use it for sure!!! :D.

You can edit multiple streams of 8k today on a Mac Pro with a afterburner card Finalcut.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
If it is motion jpeg you will be able to edit but if it is a h.265 it might melt and die. It’s funny how people bitched about motion jpeg because it actuality is a awesome codec and far easier on your system compared to all these high efficiency codecs

This was not my experience. On my 2014 iMac, I can't play back 4K MJPEG smoothly. However, transcoded to ProRes or H265 was no problem. Really need to replace this iMac, though. 2020 is an expensive year.

Upvote 0
These features are beyond my requirements. I doubt I’ll use 8k anytime in the next few years. But, yay Canon! Release the beast!

When the market started shrinking and a sizeable group started using the word ‘doomed’ when describing Canon, I remember thinking ‘but they’re making solid business decisions’...

This is good solid business from Canon. I’ll be the first to admit, I’m sure it’s reactive, not proactive, but that’s okay with me. Bring on the camera!
I agree... I don't need 8K video, but the larger mp's and ibis make it very enticing, and hey, the enhanced video stuff is gravy.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
I think the same that this camera is a 4000$ camera. Excellent price for these specs!

I believe Canon needs to keep it at $3,500 USD. They can easily do that if they carry over to the R6 body and other internal features crippled, just a bit. And make the awesome non-8K R6 at about 36 mp and sell it for $2,000-$2,100 USD. and yes, 4K at all the speeds in demand at full sensor.
This will absolutely blow everybody's mind and both will sell very well.

Upvote 0
My MacBook Pro is going to melt into a little silver puddle trying to process that video. I doubt I’ll even be able to play it back. Let alone edit. Hopefully there are also some good 4K recording options.

Yeah, you're going to want a custom PC rig if you're going to work with 8k. Ryzen 9 3950x, PCIe M.2 SSD, probably 32GB RAM etc..

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2018
Actually MJPEG is a horrendous codec from a storage standpoint and is the sole reason why I consider my 5DIV's 4K to be completely unusable. You can't film a 4hr fashion show using MJPEG or pretty much anything of importance with it. If they put that codec in the R5 it will be the sole reason I do not get it.

The 8K codec needs to be H.264 or H.265 and stored in an MOV (preferred) or MP4 container. MJPEG is long dead. To edit something beyond your computer's capabilities simply get a faster computer or use proxy files. I am a 100% hybrid shooter (50% video and 50% photography) and even with all of the fantastic specs I still worry this will not be a sufficient B cam due to the following reasons:

Dual card recording - just because it has dual card slots does not mean it will write video to both slots. This is a critical requirement for me or the camera is a no go as a b cam for the work I do. I will even settle for dual card recording up to 4K and CFAST only for 8K.

XLR Audio Module - For run and gun scenarios where I need XLR audio, Canon has not said anything about offering an XLR module for this camera. I currently use a GH5 for those scenarios and it does both (dual card video recording and has an XLR module)

Recording Limit - No word yet on if this is still a problem. In 2020 the EOS R still has a recording limit which is completely logic defying to me.

I would love to come back to the Canon family for video; my dream setup is a C200 Mark II A camera and an R5 hybrid run and gun b cam for gimbal and photography work. I would even get the R6 as a C camera (timelapses, 3rd POV, handheld POV, etc) if Canon finally puts away their cripple hammer.

I absolutely love Canon's color science and would love to consolidate my entire setup around them, but if this is another disappointing year I'll probably go all in on the S1, S1H and EVA1 instead. It's ironic...Panasonic can already do everything I want for video but my Canon lenses, Canon color science, and Canon auto focus is the only reason I have kept waiting for 3yrs on Canon to add the missing pieces.

Not sure how many 4 hr fashion shows there are.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Yeah, you're going to want a custom PC rig if you're going to work with 8k. Ryzen 9 3950x, PCIe M.2 SSD, probably 32GB RAM etc..

That is way under spec. Right now it is the domain of the Mac pro or a workstation pc with some serious grunt behind it. I would be considering 300+ GB RAM and a something like a quadro or the Apple afterburner. Of course over the next 5 years, 8k will become something your phone can edit.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
That is way under spec. Right now it is the domain of the Mac pro or a workstation pc with some serious grunt behind it. I would be considering 300+ GB RAM and a something like a quadro or the Apple afterburner. Of course over the next 5 years, 8k will become something your phone can edit.
Can Premiere even use more than 32 Threads now? If not, a what even is out there that beats the 3950X? RAM is something you can easily get for a PC aswell. The Afterburner card only does decoding, right? If Canon's 8K is RAW, that won't help at all. And on the GPU side, it's not like Apple went with the best option anyway.

The base model Mac Pro is all but serious grunt. I haven't edited any 4K myself, let alone 8K. But is it reasonable to suggest a 3950X is not a suitable option?

Upvote 0