Canon updates EOS R5 8K and autofocus information

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Wonder how Canon is addressing overheating?
If their hardware is efficient enough, there is nothing that will overheat.

The 1DX III does 5.5K only in RAW, skipping the processing that would be required to compress the video. That's the same trick Magic Lantern used way back when.

I think there's a good chance the R5 will also only do 8K RAW.

Upvote 0
If their hardware is efficient enough, there is nothing that will overheat.

The 1DX III does 5.5K only in RAW, skipping the processing that would be required to compress the video. That's the same trick Magic Lantern used way back when.

I think there's a good chance the R5 will also only do 8K RAW.

h.265,etc allows canon to use a reduced bit depth read from the sensor moreso than RAW - so it depends on where they are having the issues with performance and heat.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2014
If this camera is anywhere near as good as Canon would have us believe, I could see it working well for high end video, semi-professional - forget YouTube, that would be a waste of the specs. The only real downside to the R system is it’s relative newness and lack of RF cine lenses. RF photography lenses might be optically superb but there’s always a compromise using photography lenses with video (other than the advantage of autofocus for the times autofocus might be more practical). The Xeen lenses from Samyang/Rokinon would be a great set of ‘budget’ cine lenses to pair with this camera. I hope someone does an adapted EF cine lens test as and when this gets released.

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
So now I am only concerned about price. Looks very similar to 1DX mark III, but it is not the R1. Sure the full specs may tell a different story. I hope it is priced at the 5D level or it is going to be very expensive as the Canadian dollar keeps sliding on health and market concerns :(
Completely agree, I thought it would be around the £/$3500 area but I'm not sure now as this a pretty hefty step up from the R and the 5D and close to the 1DX MKlll specs

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2014
So does it alter the strategy now of competitors who release dedicated cameras focused on video and photography such as Sony with the A7S and A7R? Or are there video features that the R5 would potentially be lacking against dedicated video-focused cameras like the A7R?
All I can think of, if Sony release an A7SIII with stunning 4K video that’s more than good enough for the majority of potential buyers, people are bound to complain and say 4K isn’t good enough because Canon offers 8K. It could very easily turn into an unnecessary spec war also with Panasonic also joining the ‘fight’. I personally don’t see anything above 4K as essential right now because 2.5K is still the majority standard on the internet and streaming services. I suppose Canon jumping ahead is a good thing rather than their poor, playing catch-up 4K offering on the 5DIV.

Upvote 0
Actually MJPEG is a horrendous codec from a storage standpoint and is the sole reason why I consider my 5DIV's 4K to be completely unusable. You can't film a 4hr fashion show using MJPEG or pretty much anything of importance with it. If they put that codec in the R5 it will be the sole reason I do not get it.

The 8K codec needs to be H.264 or H.265 and stored in an MOV (preferred) or MP4 container. MJPEG is long dead. To edit something beyond your computer's capabilities simply get a faster computer or use proxy files. I am a 100% hybrid shooter (50% video and 50% photography) and even with all of the fantastic specs I still worry this will not be a sufficient B cam due to the following reasons:

Dual card recording - just because it has dual card slots does not mean it will write video to both slots. This is a critical requirement for me or the camera is a no go as a b cam for the work I do. I will even settle for dual card recording up to 4K and CFAST only for 8K.

XLR Audio Module - For run and gun scenarios where I need XLR audio, Canon has not said anything about offering an XLR module for this camera. I currently use a GH5 for those scenarios and it does both (dual card video recording and has an XLR module)

Recording Limit - No word yet on if this is still a problem. In 2020 the EOS R still has a recording limit which is completely logic defying to me.

I would love to come back to the Canon family for video; my dream setup is a C200 Mark II A camera and an R5 hybrid run and gun b cam for gimbal and photography work. I would even get the R6 as a C camera (timelapses, 3rd POV, handheld POV, etc) if Canon finally puts away their cripple hammer.

I absolutely love Canon's color science and would love to consolidate my entire setup around them, but if this is another disappointing year I'll probably go all in on the S1, S1H and EVA1 instead. It's ironic...Panasonic can already do everything I want for video but my Canon lenses, Canon color science, and Canon auto focus is the only reason I have kept waiting for 3yrs on Canon to add the missing pieces.
I think you can safely anticipate that the quality of the video will be excellent. As good or better than anything in the hybrid space.
I don’t think you should anticipate that it will be a practical production camera for video. It’s still just a compact mirror less and that is just not how Canon does things. As least they never have. I expect that they’ll still say production should be done on their cinema cameras.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2018
That’s exactly the way to do it. I expect Canon also will bring no less than 10 bit 422 with this 8K beast. Add to that 4K 10 bit 422 @ 120fps with AF and you have the full package.
The only way that would be doable is with external recording unless it is dual CFexpress slots which I think has already been ruled out. But I don't think there is a HDMI standard that supports 8K 10 422 currently. I could be wrong.

Now please give us a proper raw based histogram. And 4K120.
It is way past time for wave forms. I agree 4K 120 would be very, very welcome.

If it is motion jpeg you will be able to edit but if it is a h.265 it might melt and die. It’s funny how people bitched about motion jpeg because it actuality is a awesome codec and far easier on your system compared to all these high efficiency codecs

MJpeg is beyond dead. It wasn't particularly good when we were shooting 8bit HD and is hopeless where the world is now. The key to h.265 is having the encoding/decoding done on the graphics card rather than the CPU. Most modern laptops with GPUs will support that. What you will save in storage alone will pay for upgrading your laptop. If you have a desktop it may be a case of just updating your graphics card.

Bottom line. This is a declaration of war.

Upvote 0
I would absolutely use 8K. Not very often, but shooting in 8K and delivering in 1080P would provide some incredible pan, crop, recomposition options. You could add dolly, slider, and gimbal motion to your footage without ever leaving a tripod.
I will use 8k.

Glad I wrote "almost nobody!" :D :D

Yes of course, if we have the tools we will use it! I just wrote that because i really don´t know how many PC´s will take over that 8k footage and i am almost certain that we will need to wait some time to get proper support from Final cut or Premiere. Before that it will be painfull to use 8k like the 5.5k from1dx3 is being. After that yes, if its more easy to use it...we will use it for sure!!! :D.

Also the file sizes. You will definitely have to consider really good if you use 8k or 4k. I assume those 8k files are going to be....massive!!! If in 5.5k you can record 3 minutes in 64gb card...i guess in 8k you will record 1 minute! If you have a long project thats insane and you might well record in 4k and only some special scenes in 8k. I record in external record so it is a bit more easy cause I use 1tb ssd´s but even so....you will need huge data storage.

Saying this....I DO believe I will record also in 8k at least some shots! And like I said it before, it´s a HUGE step from Canon witch I praise a lot! But there are a lot things to consider before hitting that record button in 8k and that´s why i wrote that! I don´t believe that most of filmmakers with long term or even medium term projects will embrace 8k. For some few shots....maybe...for hole project...I will not for sure! :D

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
So now I am only concerned about price. Looks very similar to 1DX mark III, but it is not the R1. Sure the full specs may tell a different story. I hope it is priced at the 5D level or it is going to be very expensive as the Canadian dollar keeps sliding on health and market concerns :(
Don't worry. You will be able to pick a slightly used one up from a brand hopper as soon as Sony or Nikon intro a body with a rumored spec infinitesimally better than the R5.;)
As for performance, on paper it seems to be all one might need for sports at anything less than 10/10 jobs. Even then it is miles better than what we had three years ago.

Upvote 0