Canon updates EOS R5 8K and autofocus information

I'd like to see where I sore black and blue about it.
Do I need to link to the threads?
However, it really depends on the codec of the 8K30p. 5.5k60p is 12 bit data from my recollection. From my recollection as well, h.265 or h.264 does not require 12 bit data, but more like 8 or 10 bit data from the sensor. If that's the case the sensor is running far faster on the R5 which could have something to do with it. 4 to 8 times faster. So alot less sensor heat doing 8k h.265 or h.264 data.

This is very confusing. When did the 1Dx3 gain 5.5k @60fps?

As posted above:
In reality the 1Dx3 will create much better video than the R5, which is part of why Canon was willing to 'give away cheaply' high spec DPAF in the R5, but not in the 1Dx3.
Enthusiasts want lots of pixels, pros want good pixels. The camera with the best video pixels was video crippled.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Firstly, since when does the 1Dx3 offer 5.5k @60p???
It does so since it was released. I may misinterpret your tone, but it sounds as if you are saying me or Canonnews are ill informed. To prevail yourself from the same fate, I attached the 1DX III video specs, also found here :)

Mr Canon News claimed it was due to technical limitations, that it wasn't possible.

Those of us more familiar with Canon pro products (including Cinema cameras) knew the truth. Now it's plain for all to see.
Enlighten me please, as I am not sure what exactly is plain to see.

Currently, we do not know all the details about the R5 video specs. And neither do we know if the 1DX III will gain more features with firmware updates later on.

What we do know seems to suggest the R5 could have a capability the 1DX III lacks. Emphasis on could.

So could you please tell me what it is that's plain to see?

In reality the 1Dx3 will create much better video than the R5, which is part of why Canon was willing to 'give away cheaply' high spec DPAF in the R5, but not in the 1Dx3.
Enthusiasts want lots of pixels, pros want good pixels. The camera with the best video pixels was video crippled.
We have no sound information to claim the 1DX III will have better video quality. If the R5 8K turns out to also be 12-bit RAW, downsampling that to the 1DX III 5.5K or 4K should yield a higher quality.

It is also possible it won't be RAW, or won't be 12-bit. In which case your statement is correct. I'm not saying you're wrong, but you write as if you have some facts at hand. And in terms of facts we really won't have enough to make a judgment about which camera is better until Canon releases more. Am I missing something?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200314-123358~2.png
    Screenshot_20200314-123358~2.png
    208.8 KB · Views: 201
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Wonder how Canon is addressing overheating?
What overheating? This is a new camera, with new sensor and processor. There have been no reports of anyone actually even powering an R5 up, much less recording anything with one. Yet you are assuming there will be a problem with overheating.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

Canon Rumors Premium
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
The fact is that the 1DX III does not have DPAF available in 5.5K 60p. Pointing that out is not the same as saying it can't be done. But it seemed so.

5.5K at 60p is a tiny bit less data than 8K at 30p. So if the flagship DSLR can't handle AF when dealing with such loads, why would anybody assume a slightly lower mirrorless body (cheaper, less space to dissipate heat, ...) can handle it?
[..]

I don't think the restriction is pure bandwidth, but more a latency type of thing. The 1dx3 has DPAF in full sensor RAW modes up to 30Hz, it can't do it at 60Hz. The R5 also has DPAF up to 30Hz in full sensor mode.
That leads me to believe that a full sensor readout with 12 bits or more per pixel can't support DPAF at 60Hz. The 1dx3 can do 4k60 using the full sensor with DPAF because that's only 10-bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

Canon Rumors Premium
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..]
However, it really depends on the codec of the 8K30p. 5.5k60p is 12 bit data from my recollection. From my recollection as well, h.265 or h.264 does not require 12 bit data, but more like 8 or 10 bit data from the sensor. If that's the case the sensor is running far faster on the R5 which could have something to do with it. 4 to 8 times faster. So alot less sensor heat doing 8k h.265 or h.264 data.[..]

I don't think sensor heat is the bottleneck for 8k compression, it's more likely the Digic X. For RAW video the Digic doesn't really have to do anything, the sensor can basically dump the data straight to the card, no processing needed. The h.26x family trades file size for complexity, so you'll need a lot of processing to encode it. The Digic likely has dedicated hardware for all codecs, but even with that, I predict it will generate quite some heat for high resolution h.265.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
Canon Rumors Premium
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I never learned to use GPS in a camera. How does this help? Honest question!
The main thing I want GPS to do is mark (in Exif data) the location where the camera was when the picture was taken, so that later I can look it up and find a name for the place, etc. If the camera was able to tell me where I was in real-time then that would be even better (but I don't expect this).

If it also had a compass (even with crude resolution) then I'd know in what direction the picture was taken (but I don't expect this, either).

I know the Olympus EM1X could do this, but I am focused on Canon FF mirrorless with their top level lenses now.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

Canon Rumors Premium
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
The main thing I want GPS to do is mark (in Exif data) the location where the camera was when the picture was taken, so that later I can look it up and find a name for the place, etc. If the camera was able to tell me where I was in real-time then that would be even better (but I don't expect this).

If it also had a compass (even with crude resolution) then I'd know in what direction the picture was taken (but I don't expect this, either).
[..]

The GP-E2 has a built-in electronic compass, but Canon explicitly doesn't use it on the R and RP :( I'm having decent success with using Camera Connect on my phone and having my RP and M6II use that over bluetooth. I still keep a separate tracklog in case something doesn't work.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
Canon Rumors Premium
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
The GP-E2 has a built-in electronic compass, but Canon explicitly doesn't use it on the R and RP :( I'm having decent success with using Camera Connect on my phone and having my RP and M6II use that over bluetooth. I still keep a separate tracklog in case something doesn't work.
I could use my phone navigation and make notes somehow to align to photo #s, but I find that too much trouble to do (that's just me). To date, I've never had any phone to camera wireless connection work robustly so I've given up on that. If Canon could make it work robustly with the R5 at a reasonable distance then I'd probably be very happy using it.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
What overheating? This is a new camera, with new sensor and processor. There have been no reports of anyone actually even powering an R5 up, much less recording anything with one. Yet you are assuming there will be a problem with overheating.

Perhaps the problem of potential overheating has been overcome with a stacked sensor. Here is a link to an article outlining Canon's patent for a stacked sensor back in 2017 and how it will reduce overheating.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
Canon Rumors Premium
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Just watched the Tony Northrup response. He's now on the "well, it'll be a terrible codec like motion JPG or something". He has such a hateboner for Canon. If it turns out to be 10bit H265, can we do a public shaming?
I've never found Tony to hate Canon, or any other brand. He calls things as he sees them like most of us do. We all make predictions and who can totally accurately predict the future? His praise of Canon RF lenses is one of the reasons I became interested in their system and am eagerly awaiting a better mirrorless body to match their great lenses. Of all the reviewers I see online, I'd have to say Tony & Chelsea are among the best there are.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Y
I've never found Tony to hate Canon, or any other brand. He calls things as he sees them like most of us do. We all make predictions and who can totally accurately predict the future? His praise of Canon RF lenses is one of the reasons I became interested in their system and am eagerly awaiting a better mirrorless body to match their great lenses. Of all the reviewers I see online, I'd have to say Tony & Chelsea are among the best there are.
You might want to read Bryan Carnathan at TDP.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 3, 2017
I'll step out on a limb, guessing closer to $3500.00

Reason being, I think Canon can make up the difference through the RF lens sales if they don't discount that glass.

I like the way you think. I'm hoping you're close.

Unfortunately this time it's been a long enough wait that my poor mental resistance has feebly crumbled into dust and I'll and I'll buy it no matter what it costs. If my track record holds true I'm fated to be an early adopter - warts and all.

Upvote 0