Canon updates EOS R5 8K and autofocus information

I like the way you think. I'm hoping you're close.

Unfortunately this time it's been a long enough wait that my poor mental resistance has feebly crumbled into dust and I'll and I'll buy it no matter what it costs. If my track record holds true I'm fated to be an early adopter - warts and all.
Sad lack of self control. :p

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I never learned to use GPS in a camera. How does this help? Honest question!
I was the same, until I got it. Absolutely love the feature as it is yet another way of searching for images, the Map panel in Lightroom makes it a very useful addition and I wouldn't be interested in a main camera that doesn't have it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Y

You might want to read Bryan Carnathan at TDP.
Thanks for your suggestion! I just went to digitalPicture.com and read the very detailed review of the RF 70-200 2.8. That, and the tear down at lensRentals (previously seen), are the best I've seen for this lens so far. It's going to be hard to decide whether to get this or the upcoming RF 70-135 f2 lens, as there are very big advantages & disadvantages of each relative to the other. And one could consider their RF 85mm f1.2 DS for the ultimate in smooth background portraits. Man, how nice is it to have those kinds of choices! :cool:

Upvote 0
Completely agree, I thought it would be around the £/$3500 area but I'm not sure now as this a pretty hefty step up from the R and the 5D and close to the 1DX MKlll specs

guessing $4495 with initial package that includes a 64gb card and grip; or a kit lens package for $4995.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020

The interesting part
I do enjoy everyone willing a $3.5k price into existence with confidence: "Oh, Canon must keep it around that mark if they want the 5D crowd".

Thought experiment: They have just teased an unreal warhorse of a camera. Everyone (including them, it seems) is very excited about it. If it lives up to the hype on launch in reviews, what's the price you leave the conversation at? It sure as hell isn't 3.5k. I'd say if they launch this anywhere under 5k it will fly off the shelves. Canon have never knowingly underpriced themselves. I'm expecting this to come in around 4-4.5k, which would be much closer to Canon's traditional "ouch, that's expensive but I really want it, so screw it" price.

Likely fact is that Canon has not decided the price yet. They will explore various scenarios from high volume at relatively low price tag to rather low volume with quite high price tag. And then they will calculate which of such scenario will bring the best ROI (its even likely the will follow discussion in forums like this to see what potential buyers think and where their limit is).
My guess is that many potential buyers are in even with a high price tag given all the new features ...
And for those who dont want to spend that much: R and RP will further drop in price. As already the case, the entrance to FF is at levels never seen before (which is a smart move from Canon as all manufacturers building on APS-C or MFT will be in trouble).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
I always read the product release statement to see if there are any other clues as to future products. One thing that I got out of the Canon Australia news release is that it seems more than ever to me that the R5 is indeed the replacement to the 5D, not just the mirrorless version. Here is the quote, talking about the 5 series rather than 5D...

"Our EOS 5-Series was developed fifteen years ago to make full-frame cameras accessible to consumers, not just professional shooters. Today, that purpose remains steadfast as we continue achieving the ‘impossible’ to deliver the hybrid needs of content creators who are demanding uncompromised performance to generate more still and motion visual content than ever before."

I may be reading too much into the statement (only time, or Canon, will tell) but that's what these forums are for!

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020
I was the same, until I got it. Absolutely love the feature as it is yet another way of searching for images, the Map panel in Lightroom makes it a very useful addition and I wouldn't be interested in a main camera that doesn't have it.

The problem with GPS modules is the power consumption i.e. it drains the battery. With low CIPA rating of DSLMs wirh GPS it would get worse. A smarter way is via BlueTooth (newest BT is low power) of a phone with GPS.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I always read the product release statement to see if there are any other clues as to future products. One thing that I got out of the Canon Australia news release is that it seems more than ever to me that the R5 is indeed the replacement to the 5D, not just the mirrorless version. Here is the quote, talking about the 5 series rather than 5D...

"Our EOS 5-Series was developed fifteen years ago to make full-frame cameras accessible to consumers, not just professional shooters. Today, that purpose remains steadfast as we continue achieving the ‘impossible’ to deliver the hybrid needs of content creators who are demanding uncompromised performance to generate more still and motion visual content than ever before."

I may be reading too much into the statement (only time, or Canon, will tell) but that's what these forums are for!
You definitely are.

Upvote 0

If the 5DIV isn't the last in the lineup, the 5DV certainly will be.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Since this was announced and now... my exchange rate has dropped 25%... So this is going to be prohibited for me :(
It looks so awesome. I was going to change my entire 5d3 system to this.
See my above post. The best time to act would have been last summer. Now I'm resigned to my 5D3 being a backup/alternative body for when optimal IQ isn't needed i.e. Lensbaby, ICM, extra long exposures....

That is unless I don't buy an R5. That is the easiest proposal. My gear is fine. (Except I'm jonesing for a travel cam like a X100V)

Upvote 0

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012
A few statements from Canon officials puts this camera in the 5d segment, “not just for working professionals”, so it will for sure be priced below $3999. My guess is 3899.

I can imagine the internal debate at Canon now - one side of the table is saying that for each month of delay, they can charge a little more since people have more time to save, and the other side of the table is saying that due to the adverse effect of the Wuhan virus on the economy, each month delay means they have to charge a little less since people haven't been earning.

Who's correct?

And remember, the camera is priced in Yen, so the exchange rate instability has to be considered.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
And remember, the camera is priced in Yen, so the exchange rate instability has to be considered.

And this is what worries me, our currency has plummeted to a record low, the last time it was so low was in 1981... and the 1dx3 was nearly $2500 more expensive than the 1dx2 event though in USD they were the same...

Upvote 0

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012
See my above post. The best time to act would have been last summer. Now I'm resigned to my 5D3 being a backup/alternative body for when optimal IQ isn't needed i.e. Lensbaby, ICM, extra long exposures....

That is unless I don't buy an R5. That is the easiest proposal. My gear is fine. (Except I'm jonesing for a travel cam like a X100V)

I've concluded I will be making my 5D3 into a full spectrum camera, since the trade-in value is looking to be too low to be worthwhile.

And I've always wanted to experiment in that area.

Upvote 0