Canon updates EOS R5 8K and autofocus information

telemaque

Before Sunset
CR Pro
Nov 30, 2019
Actually MJPEG is a horrendous codec from a storage standpoint and is the sole reason why I consider my 5DIV's 4K to be completely unusable. You can't film a 4hr fashion show using MJPEG or pretty much anything of importance with it. If they put that codec in the R5 it will be the sole reason I do not get it.

The 8K codec needs to be H.264 or H.265 and stored in an MOV (preferred) or MP4 container. MJPEG is long dead. To edit something beyond your computer's capabilities simply get a faster computer or use proxy files. I am a 100% hybrid shooter (50% video and 50% photography) and even with all of the fantastic specs I still worry this will not be a sufficient B cam due to the following reasons:

Dual card recording - just because it has dual card slots does not mean it will write video to both slots. This is a critical requirement for me or the camera is a no go as a b cam for the work I do. I will even settle for dual card recording up to 4K and CFAST only for 8K.

XLR Audio Module - For run and gun scenarios where I need XLR audio, Canon has not said anything about offering an XLR module for this camera. I currently use a GH5 for those scenarios and it does both (dual card video recording and has an XLR module)

Recording Limit - No word yet on if this is still a problem. In 2020 the EOS R still has a recording limit which is completely logic defying to me.

I would love to come back to the Canon family for video; my dream setup is a C200 Mark II A camera and an R5 hybrid run and gun b cam for gimbal and photography work. I would even get the R6 as a C camera (timelapses, 3rd POV, handheld POV, etc) if Canon finally puts away their cripple hammer.

I absolutely love Canon's color science and would love to consolidate my entire setup around them, but if this is another disappointing year I'll probably go all in on the S1, S1H and EVA1 instead. It's ironic...Panasonic can already do everything I want for video but my Canon lenses, Canon color science, and Canon auto focus is the only reason I have kept waiting for 3yrs on Canon to add the missing pieces.

If XLR entry is a must for you, there are other options that you can use with any other DSLR or Mirroless body.
TASCAM DR-70D is the one I own and it is a very good quality option. Less expensive than the Lumix add-on for microphone.

In Tascam brandname you have cheaper and more expensive options, depending your budget and your needs.
Tascam DR60D is cheaper, and Tascam DR 701 is more expensive with 6 XLR entries.

I do also own ZOOM H4N PRO, that is a fabulous tool, that can be used for recording concerts, conferences etc.
It is a professional tool, that can also be used with a DSLR with 2 XLR Entries.
Zoom is also offering a bunch of other options depending your budget and needs. Up to 8 XLR entries...

Both Tascam and Zoom tools can be used for pure audio projects without a camera.
The Lumix add-on can not.

Let's not forget that many brandnames have developped excellent microphones with a 3.5mm jack dedicated to DSLR camera that are producing excellent quality of sound.
I own the Audiotechnica AT8024 producing an impressive good quality of sound.
Equivalent or even better than my XLR RODE NTG2... incredible but real.

Other 3.5mm jack microphones I do not own but their reputation is very good: Sennheiser MKE400, Rode VideoMic Pro+ etc.

Like you I am looking at the R5 with a videographer angle. However, for me the presence of XLR entry is not important.
Because of all the options I have just listed.
What will be key for me is the image quality of the video.
I hope much sharper than what Canon had produced up to now.

I will not buy an R5 for stills images. I am very pleased with my 6D and 60D on stills.

Let's wait for the first official footages...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
The fact is that the 1DX III does not have DPAF available in 5.5K 60p. Pointing that out is not the same as saying it can't be done. But it seemed so.

5.5K at 60p is a tiny bit less data than 8K at 30p. So if the flagship DSLR can't handle AF when dealing with such loads, why would anybody assume a slightly lower mirrorless body (cheaper, less space to dissipate heat, ...) can handle it?
Who said it’s cheaper? I’m pretty certain the price has not been disclosed.

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
guessing $4495 with initial package that includes a 64gb card and grip; or a kit lens package for $4995.
I've given up trying to guess as there are so many guesses out there ranging from £3000 / $3000 to £6000 / $6000. If we ignore that this may be a 5d mkIV replacement along with the 5D MKIV price and look at it just on the specs alone, the price could be up to £/$ 6000 as it's similar spec to the 1DX mklll.

However, although Tony & Chelsea Northrop are sometimes a little annoying, their video from 2018 was interesting about canon playing the waiting game, made a lot of sense, allowing Sony etc to develop the tech from scratch, which is hugely expensive and then reverse engineering it with new elements to take a giant leap forward without the massive initial development costs. Could this mean the price is a little more reasonable?? Who knows?

We will find out in due course I suppose, just frustrating they don't just come out with it with a caveat on potential delivery dates, instead of drip feeding and creating hype but then thats what marketing is all about.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Will Canon update the R and RP autofocus too for animal AF?

That's a great question. I'm going to guess "no," and that they will claim that it's a hardware issue. I'm not complaining, mind you, since I think the R and RP's autofocus is already pretty great, but something tells me we won't see their AF updated to match the R5's.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Rolling shutter doesn't care if you are shooting video or still with EFCS.
If EFCS with your camera delivers satisfactory results, it will be the
same for those frame grabs.
"Electronic first curtain" is just rolling reset, a very lightweight operation that can definitely be done with the speed of the mechanical shutter.

In order to see "frame grabs" magnitude of rolling shutter in stills, one should use fully-electronic shutter.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Actually it looks like this thread is wearing off. It's time to talk about the dynamic range, is anyone up to a good DR talk?
But you like to talk about Pixel DR, don't you? And we don't even know the exact resolution yet ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Who said it’s cheaper? I’m pretty certain the price has not been disclosed.
Canon's statement mentioned that the 5 series is aimed at a broader audience and not just professionals. If that is not meant to say it is cheaper than a 1DX III, I don't know what it means.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I've concluded I will be making my 5D3 into a full spectrum camera, since the trade-in value is looking to be too low to be worthwhile.

And I've always wanted to experiment in that area.
I had an infrared conversion on my old 5D2 after upgrading to the 5D3. Love the IR effect and false color that can be achieved.

Upvote 0
Well I guess with Canon confirming major details of the R5 - and even in someways going beyond the leaks like confirming the 8K 30fps and bird AF - that pretty much says that the big CR3 that set this all off is indeed almost completely correct.

Pretty staggering Canon have leapfrogged everyone

Upvote 0
Well I guess with Canon confirming major details of the R5 - and even in someways going beyond the leaks like confirming the 8K 30fps and bird AF - that pretty much says that the big CR3 that set this all off is indeed almost completely correct.

Pretty staggering Canon have leapfrogged everyone
Indeed! It would be entirely fitting for the official Canon R5 announcement to occur in Calaveras County.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I agree
Things are changing
Remember the L glass doesn’t have a bright future. I’m going to start selling my big whites this spring

It also looks like a recession is coming
I’ve got a bunch of trips that may get cancelled this year. Service jobs are also drying up. I suspect that demand for many things will decrease

Used Canon gear is not getting what it used to.

11/2019- Mint 5D3, $1230 from Keh.com.
2/2020- Same camera, $770

Glass is a little different, especially the L series, holds it's own pretty well. However not like in the 00's.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I've given up trying to guess as there are so many guesses out there ranging from £3000 / $3000 to £6000 / $6000. If we ignore that this may be a 5d mkIV replacement along with the 5D MKIV price and look at it just on the specs alone, the price could be up to £/$ 6000 as it's similar spec to the 1DX mklll.

However, although Tony & Chelsea Northrop are sometimes a little annoying, their video from 2018 was interesting about canon playing the waiting game, made a lot of sense, allowing Sony etc to develop the tech from scratch, which is hugely expensive and then reverse engineering it with new elements to take a giant leap forward without the massive initial development costs. Could this mean the price is a little more reasonable?? Who knows?

We will find out in due course I suppose, just frustrating they don't just come out with it with a caveat on potential delivery dates, instead of drip feeding and creating hype but then thats what marketing is all about.
It's the drip feeding that you don't like that keeps the hype going. ;)

Jack

• Haha
Upvote 0