A little bit more about the upcoming Canon EOS R6 [CR2]

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Sounds like a true mirror less replacement for the original 6D, The EOS R, RP and 6D Mark II all just need to go away they really weren't great cameras .

The RP is actually great for what it does, which is

1) have a full frame sensor
2) be compact
3) produce nice images
4) be affordable

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

The RP is actually great for what it does, which is

1) have a full frame sensor
2) be compact
3) produce nice images
4) be affordable

Only thing the RP really misses is a wee collection of small lenses to go with it. A range of f/1.8 primes wouldn't go a miss on the high end for the RP.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

IcyBergs

I have a Sony...TV
May 31, 2016
- EOS R5 - The one that makes everything, from video to photo!
- EOS R6 - Great camera for video and photo (aimed to vloggers, wedding videographers and photographers, street photo)
- EOS R1 - Wildlife and sports oriented camera with less video specs. (maybe a bit increase in MP)
- EOS R3(??) - A HIGH MP camera with less video specs aimed to landscape, studio/portrait comercial photo.

Maybe this R6 (if the body is built a little better than rumored) is more of a 7D than a 6D - which in my opinion is the R.

An R full-frame version of a 7D makes sense given the rumored specs, and its the only xD body that doesn't have an equivalent R body that's out or rumored that fits its niche.

R = 6D
R5 = 5D
R(high mp) = 5DS
R(pro) = 1D
R6 = 7D

RP = xxD

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

jazzytune

EOS 80D looking to buy EOS R soon...
Sep 6, 2019
I am feeling already! I am about to loose around 5/6k in the next 2 months....I hope the works can be re-scheduled after this crisis...I hope in July things are much more calm, we expect the peak in May (I live in Portugal) and now we are with strong security measurements and everyone is at home...

Definitely not the best time in the world to launch....but yet...we hope this will be over soon. I do expect however that Canon sales will be lower in 2nd quarter eve if they launch this cameras in June and July and they will recover in the 4th quarter.

If I can sell some of my existing gear I will be able to replace it for the EOS R5 without need to invest...Unless the R5 will cost 7000€....I guess we just need to wait and see what future brings.... :(
For the same reason, the second hand market will also be slow... Unless you accept to sell your gear at a substantially reduced price as compared to its real value!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Except for the 20mp sensor, the R6's rumored specs seem to be at least a notch above the R: 12/20 fps, 4K 60fps, IBS, and dual card slots. One possibility is that there is something wrong with the rumored specs. Another is possibility is that Canon thinks that people don't care about mp as we think they do. A third possibility is that there is something special about the 20mp R6 sensor that we don't understand.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Except for the 20mp sensor, the R6's rumored specs seem to be at least a notch above the R: 12/20 fps, 4K 60fps, IBS, and dual card slots. One possibility is that there is something wrong with the rumored specs. Another is possibility is that Canon thinks that people don't care about mp as we think they do. A third possibility is that there is something special about the 20mp R6 sensor that we don't understand.

I suspect they don't wish to have a different sensor for each model they launch to cut down on R&D and inventory, so the R6 gets a sensor they already have: the one from the 1DX3.

If that's true, I wonder how that stock will get divided between the 1DX3 and the R6, seeing that the 1DX3 is a lot more popular than Canon estimated.

Upvote 0

YES! Maybe it has usable ISO 50k without any visible noise :-D

Upvote 0
This camera will be better performer than R and RP despite the lower mp. We have to see if it's gonna borrow the sensor from 1Dx Mark III. If it does this camera will sell tons of them... more even than R5 as it will cost much lower (sub 1000$). I wonder what is going to be with R and RP in the future... as the 5 and 6 ff series are introducing into milc world.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018

Yeah, I think we're missing a major part of the story right now. The specs are either wrong or are so incomplete that they make no sense.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
This camera will be better performer than R and RP despite the lower mp. We have to see if it's gonna borrow the sensor from 1Dx Mark III. If it does this camera will sell tons of them... more even than R5 as it will cost much lower (sub 1000$). I wonder what is going to be with R and RP in the future... as the 5 and 6 ff series are introducing into milc world.
My guess is the inititial price of th R6 will be about the initial price of the R, especially if it has the sensor from the 1DxIII

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2014
Atleast this time around Canon has decided to proactively destroy competition we might be pleasantly surprised.
Laughable. Canon won’t ‘destroy the competition’ and this is silly fanboyism. Canon will however give consumers some truly great cameras to chose from and it’s about time. All they need next is to expand the lens lineup to include options for people who can’t afford the high end RF L lenses and do t want to use an adapter. Existing Canon users will have lenses already of course.

Upvote 0

Andy Westwood

EOS R6
CR Pro
Dec 10, 2016
UK
Well I love my EOS-R especially since the big AF firmware update and the addition of the RF 24-70. Particularly using RF glass, Eye AF is very good most of the time even in confined places and low light as my battery powered Godox lights don’t have modelling lights so for me the days of missing focus are thankfully a thing of the past.

I can’t imagine going back to the days of every shot having to move my focus point with the joystick onto my subject’s face OMG that seams such a long time ago now with the introduction of Servo Eye AF. So now I can shoot so much quicker making it more comfortable for the model in front of the camera.

Most of my work is for web-based customers, so 20MP would be enough for me and coming from using 1D’s most of my time I’m used to this. If the senor used on the R6 is from the 1DX III that would be amazing even to good to be true some might say.

I hope the R6 has an EVF and a rear screen resolution as good as the original R, IBIS is great especially if it is enhanced using IS RF lenses and dual card slots would make me sleep easier at night knowing I’m always shooting with a backup. Improved FS, ISO and Video are also welcomed.

Personally, I think the R6 will be a top seller in the Canon line-up wherever it ends up sitting and I can’t wait to see the official spec.

Above all lets hope us and our loved ones can all keep healthy, stay safe everyone

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have a 6D which is dying and getting old. I will buy this camera if they can put pixel shift in it. 90% of the time I am fine with 20mp. But it would be nice to be able to get like 60mp files too. That would probably be my prefect camera, well my perfect camera would do pixel shift and high DR in a single file. That would save me a bunch of time, on my landscape photos.

Upvote 0

Rule556

I see no reason for recording the obvious. -Weston
Dec 19, 2019
Seattle
www.flickr.com
Maybe this R6 (if the body is built a little better than rumored) is more of a 7D than a 6D - which in my opinion is the R.

An R full-frame version of a 7D makes sense given the rumored specs, and its the only xD body that doesn't have an equivalent R body that's out or rumored that fits its niche.

R = 6D
R5 = 5D
R(high mp) = 5DS
R(pro) = 1D
R6 = 7D

RP = xxD

I completely agree with you here. The R6 seems like a full frame 7D. Basically an entry level full frame mirrorless sports/wildlife camera with great low light capability. I also see the R as the true successor to the original 6D (which is what I upgraded from).

Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020

"... there is something special about the 20mp R6 sensor that we don't understand"

Yes, that could be ... a monochrome sensor (like Leica M10) that we were all waiting for so long.

• Haha
Upvote 0

bitcars

5D mark II
Apr 24, 2019
I bet R6 is going to be very popular and successful. While R5 does have an eye grabbing spec sheet, it won't be in most people's pockets. R5 is brilliant, yet it generates 5DS-size files at the speed no slower than any 1DX, and pride with 8K video. But few have a workflow to handle that kind of throughput. To really make a R5 shine requires the investment of an array of high end gears: big "L" RF lens, large CF express, beefy computer for post processing, large storage, etc.. Without an ecosystem to support, R5 is either a waste of money, or a risk that hinders production efficiency.

For those with the budget, R5 sounds like the dream, but for average folks and many of the enthusiasts, R6 fits the bill much better.

R6 is practical. It isn't trying to win spec sheet credibility. It just focuses on doing what the majority needs, and manage those tasks really well. For video, it looks quite capable for HD and 4K. R6 might be a baby C500 mark II - if Canon shows mercy with its cripple hammer - and that's incredible. For stills, it seems like a 1DX mark III in Live View mode, which is superb. I am quite happy with the 20MP, which, though not big, hasn't been a problem for Canon's classics like 5D mark II, mark III, and the 6D. It's still much more than an iphoone 11 and DR and high ISO performances "should" be strong. Plus the smaller file size allows more flexible flow in post production. You don't need to build an ecosystem for this body, just put on an EF/RF lens and R6 will give you incredible results.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0