A little bit more about the upcoming Canon EOS R6 [CR2]

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020
I bet R6 is going to be very popular and successful. While R5 does have an eye grabbing spec sheet, it won't be in most people's pockets. R5 is brilliant, yet it generates 5DS-size files at the speed no slower than any 1DX, and pride with 8K video. But few have a workflow to handle that kind of throughput. To really make a R5 shine requires the investment of an array of high end gears: big "L" RF lens, large CF express, beefy computer for post processing, large storage, etc.. Without an ecosystem to support, R5 is either a waste of money, or a risk that hinders production efficiency.

For those with the budget, R5 sounds like the dream, but for average folks and many of the enthusiasts, R6 fits the bill much better.

R6 is practical. It isn't trying to win spec sheet credibility. It just focuses on doing what the majority needs, and manage those tasks really well. For video, it looks quite capable for HD and 4K. R6 might be a baby C500 mark II - if Canon shows mercy with its cripple hammer - and that's incredible. For stills, it seems like a 1DX mark III in Live View mode, which is superb. I am quite happy with the 20MP, which, though not big, hasn't been a problem for Canon's classics like 5D mark II, mark III, and the 6D. It's still much more than an iphoone 11 and DR and high ISO performances "should" be strong. Plus the smaller file size allows more flexible flow in post production. You don't need to build an ecosystem for this body, just put on an EF/RF lens and R6 will give you incredible results.

All well said ... but come on: 20MP? While M6II has 32? Yes, we were all happy with 20MP when this was top. But the "standard" is now ~30 ... (except you need a tank like 1DXIII). Either this R6 body has a not-yet-disclosed feature or it will be a flop ...

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I can totally see this
I just don’t think the R will be around for too long though
It was a rushed camera to hold us over
QUOTE="IcyBergs, post: 824598, member: 377810"]
Maybe this R6 (if the body is built a little better than rumored) is more of a 7D than a 6D - which in my opinion is the R.

An R full-frame version of a 7D makes sense given the rumored specs, and its the only xD body that doesn't have an equivalent R body that's out or rumored that fits its niche.

R = 6D
R5 = 5D
R(high mp) = 5DS
R(pro) = 1D
R6 = 7D

RP = xxD
[/QUOTE]

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
Is this seen as an RP replacement? If so it's a hard sell trying to push a lower megapixel sensor than the one the RP already has.

From my personal experience, I find the RP's low-light/high ISO performance to be a bit underwhelming by modern FF standards. Not so much in terms of amount of grain, but with color noise at 3200+. (Still a good camera for the price, don't get me wrong)

That's one area where this new R6 could improve, even at the cost of a little resolution. But judging by the rumored specs, it appears this camera will be in a different (i.e., higher) class altogether.

Not entirely sure the R6 will draw many purchasers away from the already available "R" that has 30mp unless their primary use is video. I see the faster shutter speed, the dual card slots, the 60fps 4K, all sound exciting... but to step down to 20mp... as a still shooter that would be a tough sell.

I'll cut Canon some slack for focusing on video features since these are mirrorless cameras. Seems MILC is geared more for these "hybrid" types of cameras that a good number of folks seem to want.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Not entirely sure the R6 will draw many purchasers away from the already available "R" that has 30mp unless their primary use is video. I see the faster shutter speed, the dual card slots, the 60fps 4K, all sound exciting... but to step down to 20mp... as a still shooter that would be a tough sell.
12fps with tracking at a minimum vs 2-3fps, IBIS, no doubt same sensor as 1DXIII so better DR and noise than R, 4K60, probably same EVF (R5 should get higher res EVF than R). I think once the next gen aere released no one will go near the R. The RP will stick around due to bargain price but R6 looks massively better alone than the R.

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
Mark my words, if this is a video oriented camera then every single spec makes sense;

Lower resolution EVF - videographers don't use EVF's I have never even looked through the EVF of my GH5, so why waste money on a good one?

No top display - My GH5 has no top display, a tilt/flip screen is way more important than a top display for video. Also with a video focused camera the first thing you are going to do is put it in a cage anyway; so even if it had a top display you would never see (or care that it is there) so why pay for it?

20MP sensor - this sounds perfect to me for low light and some occasional quick images while at the project site. When I am the videographer for weddings I need a few images here and there to use as thumbnails for the client's wedding video navigation menus. 20MP is plenty for that.

I still say the closest camera to this one is the S1 which is well received for video. If they are reusing the sensor from the 1DX that makes sense too and will let them keep the price close to the S1's price ($2,000) while possibly keeping a few tricks up their sleeve like RAW 4K output over HDMI, or 4K 4:2:2 120FPS over HDMI or some other crazy spec that no one sees coming.

If I had a camera like this in my bag combined with a 24-105 that would be my perfect travel setup. A great video camera that can also take excellent travel images. As it stands now I travel with a T6S and 24-105 F4 L so that I don't have to worry about my 5D workhorse getting stolen or lugging around a backpack full of lenses.

Right now if even half these specs are true for the R5 and R6 Canon is on an amazing trajectory and next year I will replace my entire kit with a C200, R6, and R5 along with lenses and I will probably start by replacing my GH5 with the R6. Letting go of my 5DIV will be much much harder.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Mark my words, if this is a video oriented camera then every single spec makes sense;

Lower resolution EVF - videographers don't use EVF's I have never even looked through the EVF of my GH5, so why waste money on a good one?
No top display - My GH5 has no top display, a tilt/flip screen is way more important than a top display for video
20MP sensor - this sounds perfect to me for lowlight and some occasional quick images while at the project site. When I am the videographer for weddings I need a few images here and there to use as thumbnails for the client's wedding video navigation menus. 20MP is plenty for that.

I still say the closest camera to this one is the S1 which is well received for video. If they are reusing the sensor from the 1DX that makes sense too and will let them keep the price close to the S1's price ($2,000) while possibly keeping a few tricks up their sleeve like RAW 4K output over HDMI, or 4K 4:2:2 120FPS over HDMI or some other crazy spec that no one sees coming.

If I had a camera like this in my bag combined with a 24-105 that would be my perfect travel setup. A great video camera that can also take excellent travel images. As it stands now I travel with a T6S and 24-105 F4 L so that I don't have to worry about my 5D workhorse getting stolen or lugging around a backpack full of lenses.

Right now if even half these specs are true for the R5 and R6 Canon is on an amazing trajectory and next year I will replace my entire kit with a C200, R6, and R5 along with lenses and I will probably start with replacing my GH5 with the R6. Letting go of my 5DIV will be much much harder.
Sounds good. What's funny is that when the idea of this body came out 99% of the comments were similar to the one above. Now all of a sudden there's a mass departure with most folks? I don't see what changed the mindset.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018

No top display - My GH5 has no top display, a tilt/flip screen is way more important than a top display for video. Also with a video focused camera the first thing you are going to do is put it in a cage anyway; so even if it had a top display you would never see (or care that it is there) so why pay for it?

20MP sensor - this sounds perfect to me for low light and some occasional quick images while at the project site. When I am the videographer for weddings I need a few images here and there to use as thumbnails for the client's wedding video navigation menus. 20MP is plenty for that.

Right now if even half these specs are true for the R5 and R6 Canon is on an amazing trajectory and next year I will replace my entire kit with a C200, R6, and R5 along with lenses and I will probably start by replacing my GH5 with the R6. Letting go of my 5DIV will be much much harder.

With the specs as reported, this is the only way the R6 makes any sense.

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
Sounds good. What's funny is that when the idea of this body came out 99% of the comments were similar to the one above. Now all of a sudden there's a mass departure with most folks? I don't see what changed the mindset.
I think people are getting hung up on specs again. All of their shock/disappointment are stuck on the 20MP sensor (if its even going to be 20MP) yet no one is looking at the fact that the C300, a $16,000 cinema camera only has 8MP.

People should stop looking at this from a photography viewpoint and start looking at it from a video standpoint and then everything makes sense. If the specs are true, it will be an excellent MILC video camera that can also take great pictures.

The GH5 is famous for its video capabilities and the GH5s is somewhat well regarded for it's low light abilities; I'm imagining a low light beast with Canon's DPAF and FF's DR. I also imagine 20MP will use less power than a larger sensor, be easier to keep cool, and have better battery life. As a reference point, the GH5 also has a 20MP sensor but in a MFT form factor. This could be the S1, GH5, GH5s, GH6, and A7S killer that no one saw coming.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Very excited for this camera! The specs look perfect for me and I'm totally fine with it.

I do hope they use the LP-E6 type batteries since I have a 6DII and have two of those batteries. I'm thinking of the ergonomics of the M5 since it doesn't have a top LCD and no joystick, but there are plenty of dials and it's fairly easy to customize. Can't wait for this!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
At the moment R6 specs are much more suited for me than R5, I hope they keep this and the body size the same as 5D series for R5 and R6.
Looks like they will reposition R6 and R5 higher, bringing the R5 at the same level of the price of (A7RIV and A9II), and R6 will compete with A7III.
I'm the guy who never wanted a higher megapixel camera, I used always medium RAW until 5DMKIV, and 20mp is a good option!!

Upvote 0

With the specs as reported, this is the only way the R6 makes any sense.

And this are also my thoughts, however i don´t think it can be a videocentric! For that, it should have less MP and more video features (witch we don´t know yet....). MY bet is an equilibrium...more like A7 III in Sony line. A great video camera with great photo capabilities!

I think there is one reason why sony didn´t launch any other A7s line....They have stopped in the A7sII...I think they realize they could make more money and more impact making cameras that could benefict photographers and videographers. A7 III was a spot on camera and sold quite well, and Sony most likely will launch an A7 IV before an A7s III. So....I think Canon will not make that mistake and stick with a all around camera great for photos and video!

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
And this are also my thoughts, however i don´t think it can be a videocentric! For that, it should have less MP and more video features (witch we don´t know yet....). MY bet is an equilibrium...more like A7 III in Sony line. A great video camera with great photo capabilities!

I think there is one reason why sony didn´t launch any other A7s line....They have stopped in the A7sII...I think they realize they could make more money and more impact making cameras that could benefict photographers and videographers. A7 III was a spot on camera and sold quite well, and Sony most likely will launch an A7 IV before an A7s III. So....I think Canon will not make that mistake and stick with a all around camera great for photos and video!
I also think part of this is that they have to consolidate camera lines. In a shrinking market the remaining camera bodies have to do more while not costing substantially more.

Can one of you experts PLEASE comment on this? :)
You can read all about the theory behind this here. Long story short, it is generally accepted that lower MP from a sensor the same size (FF in this case) as an identical sensor with higher MP and all else being equal will have less noise as the ISO is increased. Where the theory diverges a bit is if the decreased noise is due to larger pixels or due to the introduction of less gain (electronic) noise.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
I also think part of this is that they have to consolidate camera lines. In a shrinking market the remaining camera bodies have to do more while not costing substantially more.

You can read all about the theory behind this here. Long story short, it is generally accepted that lower MP from a sensor the same size (FF in this case) as an identical sensor with higher MP and all else being equal will have less noise as the ISO is increased. Where the theory diverges a bit is if the decreased noise is due to larger pixels or due to the introduction of less gain (electronic) noise.
thank you

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2016
I know that the rumored 20 MP sensor seems like a let down to some, but for years I used a 5DII and got some really nice 16x24 and 20x30 in prints out of its 21MP sensor. A new 20 MP sensor should produce even cleaner images than a 5DII. Even a 5DIII, which is still widely used today by many including NatGeo photographers has only, what a 22 MP sensor?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I also think part of this is that they have to consolidate camera lines. In a shrinking market the remaining camera bodies have to do more while not costing substantially more...

On the other hand, we don't know how the development/production costs vs. profits vary between fewer models serving general purposes and multiple models serving more narrow markets.

Examples: how much does it really cost Canon to produce a high megapixel camera that uses the same body and many of the same components of another model (5D III vs. 5D S) or something like the R and the R Astrophotography version.)

Canon apparently shut down the 7D in favor of consolidating the 7 series and the XXD line, so that's an argument for consolidating lines. But, if you count the rumored R bodies along with existing models, it's a pretty impressive number. I'm confident Canon does a thorough cost-benefit analysis and knows what any particular variation might likely return on their investment.

With the Rebel series they were masters of producing a wide range of bodies to fit every price point and I doubt if it was that expensive to do so. I wonder if the R series is going to look like the Rebel series in that respect -- different models at a wide range of price points targeted to exactly what the consumer can afford: $900, $1,400, $2,000, $2,800, $3,600, $5,800?

Upvote 0
As someone who isn't a pro and doesn't make huge prints, 20 MP would be OK for me. IBIS is what I want. However, while many are focusing on sensor size, AF, FPS and video performance I think they forget the importance of the electronic viewfinder. After all, unless you are a video photographer this is what you first SEE your potential image through. If it's blurry when you move the camera or when a subject moves it will be irritating because of low res or it isn't refreshing fast enough. Canon says the R6 viewfinder won't have the resolution of the R5. I haven;t found what the R5's will be. Presumably more than the R. For comparison remember the RP has a 2.36M dot OLED viewfinder, while the R has a 3.69M dot OLED viewfinder. If the R6 has the same EV as the RP and if you don't like the RP viewfinder, you won't be happy with the R6. Ditto the R viewfinder.

Upvote 0

jazzytune

EOS 80D looking to buy EOS R soon...
Sep 6, 2019
All well said ... but come on: 20MP? While M6II has 32? Yes, we were all happy with 20MP when this was top. But the "standard" is now ~30 ... (except you need a tank like 1DXIII). Either this R6 body has a not-yet-disclosed feature or it will be a flop ...
Even if only at 20MP, if it's a very good low light camera for stills and video, a great camera for video in general and a more than decent still camera, the R6 might be an interesting option! It might be a compromise in order to get such a fast fps count. But at 20 MP, it's still possible to produce 24" (61 cm) x 36" (91 cm) prints at 150 dpi, which is a pretty decent size.

Upvote 0