5Ghz wifi capabilities confirmed for the Canon EOS R5

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Do you get a light sabre with that, that can be charged via the hot Shue? That has to be an essential accessory for the intrepid photographer.
All the little leaks have now gone beyond marketing, just announce the camera lol!!

That light saber had better not ever power on while being charged. Depending on design orientation it will either take out the photographer or the subject.

You've got it backwards. A lightsaber has almost unlimited power and would be used to charge the camera, not the other way around.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
It's the red button on the top of the camera, in the same place as the EOS R.

No, definitely not. I quote again the rumor:

Liveview/Movie toggle like previous EOS DSLRs

(emphasis mine). It seems pretty clear that whoever came up with that piece of info meant the DSLR-type switch and not the quick record button already found on the R. The quick record button is not for doing primarily video, it's for taking quick clips while otherwise shooting stills. Movie mode is for when your primary goal is to shoot video and you want to actually adjust video settings and use video-related menus. On the R you enter movie mode via the MODE+INFO combination and can then select PAvTvM etc specifically for video use independent of which exposure mode is selected in stills mode.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
No, definitely not. I quote again the rumor:

(emphasis mine). It seems pretty clear that whoever came up with that piece of info meant the DSLR-type switch and not the quick record button already found on the R. The quick record button is not for doing primarily video, it's for taking quick clips while otherwise shooting stills. Movie mode is for when your primary goal is to shoot video and you want to actually adjust video settings and use video-related menus. On the R you enter movie mode via the MODE+INFO combination and can then select PAvTvM etc specifically for video use independent of which exposure mode is selected in stills mode.

And if you already have video settings saved to C3 [video], then those settings, including exposure mode, are instantly applied when the "record" button is pushed, no matter what settings were being used in still mode when you pushed the button.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2019
As well as bit depths. The 1D X Mark III is only 12-bit with electronic shutter (at any frame rate, even in non-continuous mode) as well as at 20 fps with mechanical shutter IIRC. It's 14-bit in all other mechanical shutter frame rates.
I just read 5D4 has Dual Pixel RAW which is 14bit color. Does the 5D4 RAW mode have 12 or 14 bit?

• Wow
Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
Except Super 35 sounds way too much like 35 Super, which is basically APS-C. It's what you got when you ran 135 film through a movie camera vertically with the 24mm long edge going across the film (instead of running 135 film horizontally through the camera with the 24mm short edge crossing the film).

I’m not suggesting an official name for it, just saying what it actually is in terms of image area. To me, its an intermediate format, but that isn’t catchy, or sexy sounding.

Upvote 0
Is anyone else wondering how the layout of the controls on the back of the R5 seems to be slightly different than the 5DIV (and others)?
This will seem different to normal Canon users, but will it be better?
Is it because the overall size of the body is smaller perhaps? Along with a larger screen.
At first glance, I'm not sure it's an improvement? If there's one thing that I've come to appreciate with Canon bodies, it's there ergonomics.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Is anyone else wondering how the layout of the controls on the back of the R5 seems to be slightly different than the 5DIV (and others)?
Is it because the overall size of the body is smaller perhaps? Along with a larger screen.
At first glance, I'm not sure it's an improvement? If there's one thing that I've come to appreciate with Canon bodies, it's there ergonomics.
I think you're right about it being because of the size of the R5's body. The ergonomics of the R5 look acceptable to me and should be at least a slight improvement over the R

Upvote 0

WriteLight

Landscape and Architecture, R5
CR Pro
Mar 15, 2020
Des Moines, IA
Notice they "expect" the Cinema products and "are hoping" for the R5 announcement.
Yep, I quoted that one specifically for that reason. Not every site was so cautious, like below. Regardless, it's not exclusive of the possibility of an announcement.
Canon issued a new press release that they will have the new product announcements on Monday, April 20, 2020, at 1:00 PM EDT/10:00 AM PT. And we will see the highly anticipated Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6, Canon Cinema EOS C300 Mark II Camcorder and a fresh Cinema lens on that day.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017

There is nothing in the new press release that suggests an imminent R5/R6 announcement on that day... yes, these are a very challenging times for Canon. However, announcing R5/R6 with a pro cinema product along would be a major mistake. Marketing 101. Canon is waaaay smarter than this.

p.s. Speaking of challenging times. And we ain't seen nothing yet :(

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2019
I prefer the design to be a fixed screen, minimalist and robust. This will be the first for canon at this level camera.

I think the delete button below scroll wheel can be a carpal tunnel promoter for the right thumb. To delete photo on 5Div (and 1Dx), it’s two thumbs action. I wonder how the R and RP like the layout.

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
I prefer the design to be a fixed screen, minimalist and robust. This will be the first for canon at this level camera.

I think the delete button below scroll wheel can be a carpal tunnel promoter for the right thumb. To delete photo on 5Div (and 1Dx), it’s two thumbs action. I wonder how the R and RP like the layout.
The delete and play buttons are not an ergonomic issue in my experience with the R. However I'm not a Pro so don't shoot massive numbers of images to sort and delete. The flippy screen is the 1st I have used coming from a fixed screen and I was at 1st dubious of it being delicate but after a years use, its not delicate at all and does provide great flexibility for low down or weird angle shots I struggled with via a fixed screen. it also allows the screen to be face in when not in use which helps prevent damage when carrying.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2019
Not an issue in my experience with the R. However I'm not a Pro so dont shoot massive numbers of images to sort and delete.
If you’re a pro, you should capture less photo with at least 70% retention and delete less.

These days wedding photog will shoot up to 10k/wk of photos and retain less than 10%

Upvote 0