5Ghz wifi capabilities confirmed for the Canon EOS R5

Nov 2, 2016
I thought the GFX50 had a physically larger, Medium Format sensor....which would be different than this R5 FF sensor....differnt applications, no?

Please correct me if I"m wrong....

Myself am lusting after the R5, BUT...if I had the scratch...I'd like the GFX100 maybe to break into the MF digital world a bit.....beast of a camera!!

Anyway...

cayenne
I wish people would stop calling those cameras, along with the Leica and hassleblad, medium format. What they really is super 35mm format. the sensor area is closer to a 35 full frame than to a half frame medium format. how small does a sensor have to get before people stop calling it medium format? i call it an intermediate format, or super 35.

sorry, its just a bug of mine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Toglife_Anthony

Hit the G.A.S. & pump the brakes at the same time!
Apr 2, 2020
I wish people would stop calling those cameras, along with the Leica and hassleblad, medium format. What they really is super 35mm format. the sensor area is closer to a 35 full frame than to a half frame medium format. how small does a sensor have to get before people stop calling it medium format? i call it an intermediate format, or super 35.

People? The brands themselves reference them as such in their own marketing material and websites. Not arguing your point one way or the other, just saying. ;-)

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
I wish people would stop calling those cameras, along with the Leica and hassleblad, medium format. What they really is super 35mm format.

Unfortunately, "super 35" already refers to a movie film format which confusingly is smaller than 35mm stills format and actually quite close to APS-C but a bit wider. It is "super" because it's larger than regular 35mm movie frames (which are shot in the opposite orientation to stills and thus usually fit about two movie frames to one 36mm x 24mm stills frame).

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Do you get a light sabre with that, that can be charged via the hot Shue? That has to be an essential accessory for the intrepid photographer.
All the little leaks have now gone beyond marketing, just announce the camera lol!!

That light saber had better not ever power on while being charged. Depending on design orientation it will either take out the photographer or the subject.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I bought the R mainly as a B-cam for video production use and I'm still getting accustomed to it's many quirks. It's great in a lot of ways but one thing that really doesn't work is the two step mode, then info button press, to change between stills and video. I've missed so many shots fumbling around with this, so bring back the switch please although I agree, I don't see it on any of images of the R5, anyone know where it is?

Essentially, the R does a lot of things right but I'm afraid it fails in one key respect and that's terrible rolling shutter. A lot of my work is handheld and the jello, even with well stabilised lenses, renders 4k on this camera almost useless in many scenarios, so much so that I don't even bother using it anymore on my paid shoots, it's just too risky. Even on a tripod, subjects like branches moving in frame or an interview subject waving their hands etc, can turn the image into a liquid, wobbling mess. It shouldn't really have been released in this state to be honest, the sensor is just not up to it, so my concern with the R5 is purely to do with the speed of the sensor and processor and wether it can give us basic 4K video that is useable in real world shooting scenarios even at 25fps.

Oh and while I'm on my moan marathon, Canon stop it with the caveats. The Eos R menu continuously gives you disclaimers like the small print at the end of a commercial. If you do this, you will loose this, You can use this lens but uh oh, now you can't do this. Warning: shooting in this mode is subject to the following side effects. Always read the label before pressing record. There are regularly more greyed out items in the video menu than hairs on my weary head. So please canon just get the basics right with the R5 and I can go back to working with your awesome cameras rather than fighting them.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
Unfortunately, "super 35" already refers to a movie film format which confusingly is smaller than 35mm stills format and actually quite close to APS-C but a bit wider. It is "super" because it's larger than regular 35mm movie frames (which are shot in the opposite orientation to stills and thus usually fit about two movie frames to one 36mm x 24mm stills frame).
True. I was using the term when the Leica S1 first came out what seems like many years ago. I don’t remember when super 35 came out for film. I could look it up, but right now, I’m feeling too lazy to do it.

Upvote 0
DSLR captures video in a live view mode - mirror is up, focusing on the sensor. therefore there is a necessity for a dedicated switch that toggles between stills and video mode.
mirrorless cameras operate in live view mode for stills or video regardless. therefore, video recording can be initiated by a "start recording" button even in stills mode.

Actually on canon DSRLs there was a switch for stills and video. And the botton center of the switch was LV toggle.

If you wanted to shoot stills in LV mode you press the button and it flips the mirror up and you have live view. The switch to video would trigger LV immediately, but the point was that the shutter button becomes a start/end record rather than taking a stills image,

So I can see the value in a switch to go between stills and video quickly. While of course no LV button is needed, but they could have replaced it with something else like another custom button.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Actually on canon DSRLs there was a switch for stills and video. And the botton center of the switch was LV toggle.

If you wanted to shoot stills in LV mode you press the button and it flips the mirror up and you have live view. The switch to video would trigger LV immediately, but the point was that the shutter button becomes a start/end record rather than taking a stills image,

So I can see the value in a switch to go between stills and video quickly. While of course no LV button is needed, but they could have replaced it with something else like another custom button.

Canon DSLR user guide is a wonderfull reading. I cannot recommend highly enough.... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Upvote 0
Basically when you'll look through the EVF there will be a sensor touching your forehead and it will detect how much you actually know about photography.
No! Not that old '20s technology! Canon is doomed!

Surely, as you put your eye to the viewfinder, the 6G phone network will download into your brain everything you need to know to instantly become an expert user?

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
OVF vs Live View toggle is of course unnecessary, but I'm talking about the switch that toggles between stills and video mode in Canon DSLRs.

It's the button on top of the camera with the red dot in the middle, just like the EOS R:

Canon-EOS-R.jpg

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
It can, and that's why there's the "quick record" button, but video mode is not just about flipping up the mirror. The camera UI is modal. Available menu items change, exposure settings are recalled separately and so on. According to the manual, the R can be switched to movie mode by pressing the MODE button then the INFO button. If recording is started in stills mode using the record button, C3 mode setting are used. But most of the time you very likely don't want to just start recording without checking your settings first. Recent Canon cameras also store C settings separately for stills and video mode, btw.

Anyway, my point was that the rumor about the switch doesn't seem to be accurate even though it's unbolded which should mean "confirmed".

If you want to check the settings stored in C3, just hit the record button,paus it, and look in the VF. It will show Av, Tv, ISO, etc. Then stop and change them if you must. Or stop and restart recording at the time you want to start recording. You wouldn't wait until the action begins to switch into LV on a DSLR, would you?

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
The resolution(s) at those frame rate will be key info

As well as bit depths. The 1D X Mark III is only 12-bit with electronic shutter (at any frame rate, even in non-continuous mode) as well as at 20 fps with mechanical shutter IIRC. It's 14-bit in all other mechanical shutter frame rates.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016

Except Super 35 sounds way too much like 35 Super, which is basically APS-C. It's what you got when you ran 135 film through a movie camera vertically with the 24mm long edge going across the film (instead of running 135 film horizontally through the camera with the 24mm short edge crossing the film).

True. I was using the term when the Leica S1 first came out what seems like many years ago. I don’t remember when super 35 came out for film. I could look it up, but right now, I’m feeling too lazy to do it.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0