Two new EOS M camera bodies coming in the second half of 2020 [CR2]

the only products that currently sell by boatloads is : surgical masks and disinfectants. oh, toilet paper was also flying of the shelf in land Downunder up until now.

EOS R5 crop mode is the only real alternative at this stage. albeit not at $1500 price mark. I am sorry to disappoint you. M7, 7d or R7 is not happening anytime soon if ever. take my words to the bank.

EOS R5 will be so expensive it will not sell well. Especially now with so many pro's and enthusiasts with less or no income.

R5 also is a total overkill on video side (8k ffs) for majority of potential buyers. 5D audience is mainly stills photographers. And R6 specs sound "off track" as well. 20 MP meh. I dont need or want 50 MP, but will not accept less than 30-40 MP in a FF camera in 2020 and i am quite sure, many others will neither. Plus decent and affordable RF glass is a real requirement. not 8k. those who really need it shall buy a true video cam.

so, a fully competitive, sensibly priced EOS M7 as "hi end" option for M lineup would sell very well.

many many more people are able and willing to pay 1500 rather than 3500. especially for the next year(s).

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Any EOS M body sized like M50 or up (M5, M6) can easily accomodate dual SD UHS-II card slots that are more than fast enough even for very high fps and 4k video [see Fuji X-T4 with uncropped 4k60 and 20fps stills continuous].

Canon really could and should launch an "EOS M7" with 32 MP sensor (as in M6 II), only slightly bigger than M5 and with all features *at least on par* with Fuji X-T4. With state of the art AF, state of the art EVF, IBIS, full weathersealing and a "real" powerpack like the one in X-T4 for 500 shots CIPA. It would be better than any 7D III DSLR could have been.

Price it at €/USD 1499 MSRP (body) and sell it by the boatload. With nice profit.
I have to occasionally remind myself how happy I am with all the electronic mfgs, given the slew of new eqpt they keep developing in a falling camera sales market. Kudos to them all. I love them all, even though I will prob never purchase most of their wonderful products. I will now wipe the collective drool off my face, as I salivate over the coming Canon R5 and all the new lenses to go with the R series bodies. I see a lot of happy dances going on when one can finally put his hands on same. Stay safe out there, fellow CR posters. I cannot wait for the first hands on reviews of all the new gear and only hope that said gear is even half of what we're expecting it to be. If it's everything we're expecting, I'm not sure I'll be able to contain myself!!! Meanwhile, the anticipation builds. Bring it on Canon.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
None of those things are even on the shelves here, so hardly selling at all.

Oh, they're selling all right...straight off the back of the truck.

Or if they get further than that, they get pulled off the pallet before the pallet even makes it to the shelf. (I saw this happen with a pallet of TP about three weeks ago. Never got to the TP aisle.)

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Just don’t bet your house on it or you will end up living under the bridge, my friend. ;)

There sure do seem to be a lot of non-regulars coming on here to insist the price will be well north of 4,000 kwatloos. (Generic term for EUR/USD/GBP since prices seem to be the same number in all three.)

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
There sure do seem to be a lot of non-regulars coming on here to insist the price will be well north of 4,000 kwatloos. (Generic term for EUR/USD/GBP since prices seem to be the same number in all three.)
The price that is north of 4000 kwatloos is highly unlikely. Some people are just being silly. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 4, 2020
the only products that currently sell by boatloads is : surgical masks and disinfectants. oh, toilet paper was also flying of the shelf in land Downunder up until now.

EOS R5 crop mode is the only real alternative at this stage. albeit not at $1500 price mark. I am sorry to disappoint you. M7, 7d or R7 is not happening anytime soon if ever. take my words to the bank.

I agree we will not see another 7D. I also do not believe we will see a "R7" 7D replacement, at least anytime soon. However, the CR Guy just hinted on the video with the Ordinary Filmmaker that the other M series would be a "high end" version. IF you take the M6 and make a higher end version, that could be a great camera and similar to an "M7," but we don't know if it would be geared more toward sports/wildlife or just higher end including video specs, etc.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016

The price that is north of 4000 kwatloos is highly unlikely. Some people are just being silly. :)

It's all the spec sheet fanboys have left.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
I agree we will not see another 7D. I also do not believe we will see a "R7" 7D replacement, at least anytime soon. However, the CR Guy just hinted on the video with the Ordinary Filmmaker that the other M series would be a "high end" version. IF you take the M6 and make a higher end version, that could be a great camera and similar to an "M7," but we don't know if it would be geared more toward sports/wildlife or just higher end including video specs, etc.
An M5-II with the M6-II's hardware would be pretty close to being a 7D, other than build quality and ergonomics. R5 will be the FF version. Those are likely the choices for a 7DII replacement for at least a year or two...

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
It's all the spec sheet fanboys have left.

If you mean the people trying to exploit spec sheet fanboyism to strip away Canon customers, I agree. We have a camera whose spec sheets will beat their spec sheets hands down. So the only thing to do is claim it will be overpriced and still not as good a value as you-know-who.

Upvote 0

Andy Westwood

EOS R6
CR Pro
Dec 10, 2016
UK
How interesting the interview Craig did, particularly his comment re the 2 new EOS M bodies. The first he stated being the M50 II, but the second EOS M body Craig suggested this body may be the new standard setter in APS-C sized sensor cameras.

I really hope so! Go Canon! Go Canon! with the R5 and R6 and possibly a new standard setting crop senor body, is this the start of Canon taking back it’s supremacy of the Camera market!

Upvote 0
I really hope so! Go Canon! Go Canon! with the R5 and R6 and possibly a new standard setting crop senor body, is this the start of Canon taking back it’s supremacy of the Camera market!

well, i am less optimistic here. lets wait and see if Canon really comes up with a totally convincing "EOS M7", fully on par with or even better than Fuji X-T4.

R5 is of no interest to me, way too much video stuff i dont want and would have to pay a lot for. and R6 specs rumoured so far make no sense at all to me. 20 MP? no way. but we shall see. i'm not in a hurry.

Upvote 0
Mar 4, 2020
An M5-II with the M6-II's hardware would be pretty close to being a 7D, other than build quality and ergonomics. R5 will be the FF version. Those are likely the choices for a 7DII replacement for at least a year or two...
I agree. It may be an M5-ii. I would not expect 2 cards slots, but improved weather sealing for a "higher end" M series would be a good upgrade if they want to market it to sports/wildlife. Maybe market it with an EF adapter and offer a battery grip. That would help pull people used to the larger 7D style to use the M series for sports/wildlife.

Upvote 0
No, I really wanted an M like the original M, without EVF. I hate the EVF on the M50, good riddance! The solitary bees emerged this weekend and I did notice that I very much want the tilty-flippy screen back, the M6II screen articulation is only useful if you like photographing nose hair.

If I really need and EVF+flash I use the RP, which I do like. Same screen as the M50, but much better optics in front of it.

Most kits come with the EVF included with 15-45 and bonus 22mm with the M6ii. Well in Australia at least. I used Sony Nex for many years and the M6ii was perfect considering I was keen on the X100f. I use a small rig mainly but the m6ii is crazy small on its own.

Upvote 0