The Canon EOS R5 and EOS R6 will be announced in the first few days of July

Well, while it might be theoretically possible for it to have a panoramic stills sensor to match FoV (and pixel count) of a 8K video, practically that would be weird.

Or it was argued that 'DCI' only applies to '4K' part of '8K/4K DCI'. So it reads as '8K and 4K DCI', not '8K DCI and 4K DCI'.

Because of that, I'm still not 100% convinced the camera will have 45Mp. I really hope it will, I'll probably make a preorder in this case. 39Mp? meh, I don't know, will probably wait for R5s.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Or it was argued that 'DCI' only applies to '4K' part of '8K/4K DCI'. So it reads as '8K and 4K DCI', not '8K DCI and 4K DCI'.

Because of that, I'm still not 100% convinced the camera will have 45Mp. I really hope it will, I'll probably make a preorder in this case. 39Mp? meh, I don't know, will probably wait for R5s.
So if it is 4K DCI what does that equate to in terms of mp?

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
Can you please educate me on 'DCI'?
I am not a film maker so I am pretty hopeless on these things but I think that DCI is a wider format(basically what cinema film is usually done in?. So if it uses the full width of the sensor and and say 8k dci was 30mp(arbitrary number) then the FF sensor that the DCI was being taken from would actually be more mp on top of that

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
So if it is 4K DCI what does that equate to in terms of mp?

Standard 8K is 7680px on the longest side, which, given the 3:2 aspect ratio, makes the total resolution of at least 39.3mp.

8K DCI is an extended 8K with 8192px on the longest side, which translates to at least 44.7mp on a FF sensor.
So it's very important if R5 is just 8K or 8K DCI.

4K DCI as such puts a lower limit of 11.1mp so not really telling us much. Some people argue that in order to produce 4K DCI and use all uncropped sensor, it's more efficient to have 8192 pixels and then do pixel binning or pixel skipping so that it converts to 4096px. But it's a speculation that goes too far IMO and doesn't prove anything.

PS. There was also a promo video in German, which allegedly claims you can extract 39mp stills from 8K video. If that's true and accurate, it'll translate to 44.9mp of the whole sensor, because the video frame is narrower than 3:2.
Again a speculation based on indirect evidence.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
Standard 8K is 7680px on the longest side, which, given the 3:2 aspect ratio, makes the total resolution of at least 39.3mp.

8K DCI is an extended 8K with 8192px on the longest side, which translates to at least 44.7mp on a FF sensor.
So it's very important if R5 is just 8K or 8K DCI.

4K DCI as such puts a lower limit of 11.1mp so not really telling us much. Some people argue that in order to produce 4K DCI and use all uncropped sensor, it's more efficient to have 8192 pixels and then do pixel binning or pixel skipping so that it converts to 4096px. But it's a speculation that goes too far IMO and doesn't prove anything.
Cheers. Great answer. So the likelihood is if 8k DCI then 44.7mp and if only 4kDCI then likelihood is 39.3mp?
Oops. Nope. Correction. If only 4kDCI then 39.3 OR 44.7mp is equally possible depending on how they choose to work it?

Upvote 0
If only 4kDCI then 39.3 OR 44.7mp is equally possible depending on how they choose to work it?

My guess is, because Canon claims 4K DCI uses the full width of the sensor, it makes 44.7mp more probable :) but not certain. Due to Bayer filters used in Canon sensors, the easiest way (but not the best in terms of the image quality) to get both 8KDCI and 4K DCI will be to skip pixels by 2 over 2, like this:

0, 1, 4, 5, 8, 9, 12, 13, 16, 17...

There's also pixel binning technique where they would merge data from groups of pixels, it's also easier to do if the sensor has 8192px.

If that's the case, 4K DCI implies 8K DCI and therefore, 44.7mp pixel count.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
4 is a weekend day anyway, but I can see July 1 not being a suitable one then. 1DX III announcement was on a Monday, to be more precise: the 6th. So I'd say July 6.

On the other hand, a lot of Canon release announcements seem to happen on Thursdays. Maybe it's because Friday is "payday" in many places and folks living in those cultures are more inclined to spend on Friday, even if they don't personally get paid weekly or bi-weekly on Fridays. This includes the largest market, in terms of annual sales, in the world for ILCs. That puts July 2 right on the money.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Wait a min... so the R5 and R6 will be released about the same time as one another?

That has always been more or less the plan. The announcements seem to have been originally planned staggered in May and June, but with both available in late July.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
speculation, but it could make sense. Minimum is 33mpix, that's a given.

More than 33 MP. 8K DCI, which has been officially confirmed by Canon, is 8,192 pixels wide. Convert that to 3:2 and increase the width slightly so that both horizontal and vertical resolutions are divisible by 16 (for more efficient JPEG compression with fewer artifacts) and you get 8,208 x 5,472 = 44.9 MP. Plus the edge pixels needed for color interpolation on the edge of the output resolution and masked pixels.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Not really sure what we are waiting on at this point. Tomorrow is just as good as sometime in July to announce it unless they are holding off for the virus to come to an end(which could be another six months). Ether way it will be interesting to get a glimpse at what is coming up next, even if it wont matter until wildlife lenses come out.

You've never studied marketing strategy, have you?

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
It will more than that. Depending on the horizontal resolution of the 8K mode (I don't think this information has been released) you have two minimum resolutions the R5 could have:
8K UHD - 7680 pixels wide gives a minimum of 39.3MP
"DCI" 8K - 8192 pixels wide gives a minimum of 44.7MP

Canon confirmed 8K DCI in their March announcement that was originally planned to take place at the video-centric NAB trade show.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
It is surely going to be a bit bigger then the RP, as it uses the same LP-E6NH battery as the R5
And it also has the dual card slots (likely dual SD, maybe one is UHS-I and the other UHS-II), probably moved away from the battery as well.
But it won't have the full metal chassis, so I suspect, it may be slightly lighter than the R even with the IBIS, maybe around 600g CIPA rate.

It will be over 2000$, so it won't affect the RP's 1000$ pricing in any way.

If both slots are SD, they'll both run the same bus. Canon uses disparate card slots when they want to give users the choice of using their older legacy cards in a different form factor than the newer, faster cards. With UHS-II, both slots will be backwards compatible, at slower speeds of course, with UHS-I and even non-UHS cards. No need to put two different type slots in the same camera.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I have both the 1-DX Mark III and the EOS-R and the 1-DX files are no cleaner than the EOS-R ones, I can assure you. Plus, the resolution is 50% lower so...

It all depends upon your post processing skills.

I've seen high ISO output from the 1D X Mark III that looked pretty ho-hum because NR was crudely applied with a blunt instrument. I've also seen high ISO output from the 1D X Mark III that was mighty impressive because the user who post processed it knew what they were doing and got a cleaner file than anyone can get with a 5D Mark IV/EOS R at the same ISO in the same shooting conditions.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
They have comfirmed 8K RAW but not the specific resolution. There is no such thing as 8K DCI. The current DCI standards do not address 8K.

Technically, you are correct. But everyone in the industry refers to 8,196 wide as 8K DCI.

Canon would not be so stupid as to announce a camera can shoot at "8K DCI" and then release a camera that shoots video that is only 7,680 pixels wide!

Upvote 0