R5 formally confirmed as 45 MP?

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
万 = 10,000
4500万画素 = 45,000,000 pixels
45 megapixels

OK, that makes sense! Thanks for clarification. (I figured the only way it could be is with a 10,000 multiplier in there, I just didn't know/recognize the Japanese symbol. And it's interesting to me that there IS a simple symbol that means 10,000 (and apparently not one that means 100,000 or 1,000,000 or those would have been used instead). I so used to powers of a thousand this is an interesting feature.

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
OK, that makes sense! Thanks for clarification. (I figured the only way it could be is with a 10,000 multiplier in there, I just didn't know/recognize the Japanese symbol. And it's interesting to me that there IS a simple symbol that means 10,000 (and apparently not one that means 100,000 or 1,000,000 or those would have been used instead). I so used to powers of a thousand this is an interesting feature.
Same here. I'm a foreigner living in Japan for over a decade, and still the numbers here confuse me and take me a while to figure out.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Same here. I'm a foreigner living in Japan for over a decade, and still the numbers here confuse me and take me a while to figure out.

You're ahead of me. The numerals are legible, the occasional romaji is legible--nothing else is.

The Japanese writing system, being a blend of several different systems, is probably the hardest one in the world. Anyone who can read it while remembering to breathe must be a genius.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I just hit translate on the tweet. It's an option if you click on the tweet itself (takes you to Twitter) and then click on it's text a second time (will pull up a dedicated page for that thread). It's not perfect but it gets the point across.

- A
To make a comment on the subject rather than the intricacies of the Japanese written language:

Odd that they didn't come out of the closet with the resolution when they did the development announcement. 45 MP is very much exciting, but since they kept that of all things secret for so long I still feel a bit disappointed they didn't have something special left up their sleeves. I mean, the R5 throughput already puts all other cameras to shame, seemingly ignoring the common sense that told us Canon sensors just aren't that fast in the past, so why not go all out insane and have the 83 MP sensor run at 20 FPS :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
Translated incorrectly due to lack of sleep, lack of coffee, lack of other substances and other excuses. Nothing to see here. It says 45Mpix full size sensor.

Ok, devil's advocate about the "what surprise is left", based on that tweet.

It actually says "45 Mpix file size sensor".
フル file
サイズ size
センサー sensor

Why file size? why not 45 mpix sensor.

You know many movie projectors do fake 4k by moving the sensor, while the actual sensor is 1080p then project it 4 times to create actual 4k image (most do only 2 spots though, so they have half the real 4k pixels)

Maybe the actual sensor is 22.5Mpix, and they do 2 positions fast enough to create 45Mpix for 8k shooting. Then they could also do no-crop 4k easily just without moving the sensor.

Problem would be still shooting, especially when shooting fast there's no way the sensor can move fast enough to not create problems, but the 8k/30 would be easy.

So I'm pretty sure that's not correct guess, but interesting idea based on that choice of words on that tweet. 22.5Mpix R5 to replace 5D4 (and compete against Nikon/Sony) would be disaster, so I'm 99% sure the 45Mpix (~45...48 somewhere there) is the actual size.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Ok, devil's advocate about the "what surprise is left", based on that tweet.

It actually says "45 Mpix file size sensor".
フル file
サイズ size
センサー sensor

Why file size? why not 45 mpix sensor.

You know many movie projectors do fake 4k by moving the sensor, while the actual sensor is 1080p then project it 4 times to create actual 4k image (most do only 2 spots though, so they have half the real 4k pixels)

Maybe the actual sensor is 22.5Mpix, and they do 2 positions fast enough to create 45Mpix for 8k shooting. Then they could also do no-crop 4k easily just without moving the sensor.

Problem would be still shooting, especially when shooting fast there's no way the sensor can move fast enough to not create problems, but the 8k/30 would be easy.

So I'm pretty sure that's not correct guess, but interesting idea based on that choice of words on that tweet. 22.5Mpix R5 to replace 5D4 (and compete against Nikon/Sony) would be disaster, so I'm 99% sure the 45Mpix (~45...48 somewhere there) is the actual size.
Likely it is just an idiomatic part of the Japanese language.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
The translation according to Google is:
Titles currently registered on overseas news sites. "Sample image of Leica's high resolution model "M10-R"" "45 million pixel full size sensor mirrorless camera "EOS R5" compatible with 8KDCI cinematic video capable of capturing 35.4 million pixel still images"

Now I'm reading it after some coffee, I think it does say 35.4 still and 45 movie. (not taking any responsibility for my translation)

現時点で海外のニュースサイトに登録されているタイトル = registered at foreign news site

「ライカの高解像度モデル『M10-R』のサンプル画像」= Sample image of high resolution leica M10-R

「3540万画素の静止画をチャプチャーできる = capable of capturing 35.4Mpix still images

8KDCIシネマティック動画に対応した4500万画素フルサイズセンサーミラーレスカメラ『EOS R5』 = to respond for 8kDCI cinematic moving picture, 45MPix full size sensor mirrorless camera - eos R5

That does leave me with some questions, like why it says 35.4 for stills? I think we'll know tomorrow more.

Upvote 0