Canon officially announces the EOS R5 and EOS R6 along with 4 new lenses and two teleconverters

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
https://www.parkcameras.com/p/12421...anon-rf-800mm-f11-is-stm-super-telephoto-lens the sample images are all ISO 1600, but they look pretty good. I still don't think it is for me, but it is wildlife to the masses. It isn't £13,000.
It is difficult to judge it given small size of JPG file. I would wait. What impresses me is the " 1120mm. 1/40th sec. ISO 1600. f/11 ". That shutter speed is insane for the focal length.
The lenses may not be for nature photog, but for photojournalists it might be the right gear given the size, weight and IBIS.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
So as interesting as these announcements are, their price here in South Africa is completely insane.

When i purchased my 1Dx Mk2 new in 2016 I paid around R75000 (it was on special at the time normal price has around R80000). The EOS R5 is listed here for pre-order at R81595. I can still get a brand new 1Dx mk2 from the same store for R89000 (mk3 is R133000). I can also get myself a Canon EF 400 f2.8 mk2 for around the same price as a EOS R5.

Now this is not entirely Canon's fault, the exchange rate has has gone from R14.10/$1 to R16.88/$1 (so a 20% increase) but as you can see Canon pricing in South Africa has gone crazy, we used to pay roughly the equivalent price here in R that you would pay in the US (sometimes even a bit less with salaries being much lower here in general).

The lens prices are equally insane.

It will probably be quite a long time before I consider any of the newer Canon gear for these reasons alone - luckily I can still pick up lots of awesome used gear at not so insane prices.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

It is difficult to judge it given small size of JPG file. I would wait. What impresses me is the " 1120mm. 1/40th sec. ISO 1600. f/11 ". That shutter speed is insane for the focal length.
The lenses may not be for nature photog, but for photojournalists it might be the right gear given the size, weight and IBIS.

This really depends on your goal. I think most photos from the 800mm f/11 will end up on someones Facebook or passed around on a iPad. The person buying it isn't paying £40 per photo to print these images for a gallery or even for their house. Now that isn't to say put in the hands of a pro you won't be able to get pro results, the OOF area in the images certainly show you can get good separation in much the same way you can get bad separation on a f/4 lens if there is a lot of twigs behind your bird subject. But till now there was no FF 800mm lens under £10,000.

Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
Aye there are a few lenses like that. Like computer hard drives are always a wee bit less. But still the 100-400 is a great lens and I think the 100-500 will be just as good. I just need to choose if I want the 100-500 or if I'll get the Nikon 500mm f/5.6. I look forward to the reviews.
Those are two options for getting to 500mm. However, these lenses are very different. The 100-500 is a far more flexible lens and likely has noticeably worst IQ (excellent IQ, but not at the same level as the Nikon prime). I have the Nikon 500mm, and the IQ is superb, but I find it limiting. I always have a second camera with a zoom attached, because 500 is too long if a bird or animal moves in too close or you just don't have enough room for 500mm. I've put in an order for the 100-500--I haven't decided whether I'm keeping the Nikon prime; three different systems is just too many--because the flexibility (both in size and FL range) is highly desirable.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
This really depends on your goal. I think most photos from the 800mm f/11 will end up on someones Facebook or passed around on a iPad. The person buying it isn't paying £40 per photo to print these images for a gallery or even for their house. Now that isn't to say put in the hands of a pro you won't be able to get pro results, the OOF area in the images certainly show you can get good separation in much the same way you can get bad separation on a f/4 lens if there is a lot of twigs behind your bird subject. But till now there was no FF 800mm lens under £10,000.

If the IQ is good those lenses will be very usable in many situations. Seen many award winning shots made at F11 and F13.
The 1DX sensor with the new IBIS in the R6 cab make these lenses very useful.

Upvote 0
Some thoughts as I go through the various spec's:

Disappointed that the R6 didn't get the same high resolution EVF as the R5. That seemed to good to be true. I guess that's why they are called rumors. It does run at the higher refresh rate so that's a good thing. Maybe the lower pixel count reduces lag.

E3 Remote port on the 6R?

6D level weather sealing. I guess that's fine.

R6 allows 2X the max ISO setting of the R5. Don't know if actually means anything. Doubt I'll be shooting at ISO 204800.

The telephotos have fixed apertures at f11. Or no physical aperture at all I suppose. As G Liang says, very much like a spotting scope. I guess that saves money. Scopers love that deep look. Makes sense. Why woiuld you want to stop down an f11 lens? Duh..Video shooters where you have a defined shutter speed Not sure what a VND that big is going to cost but it wont be cheap

Looks like the tele-prime foot just take a 1/4" thread from a mounting plate. hopefuly it has some kind of anti-twist. I guess you can directly screw in a BR button for carrying on a BR strap. It doesn't rotate. Hood comes with!

No DCI on the R6

Last edited:
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Those are two options for getting to 500mm. However, these lenses are very different. The 100-500 is a far more flexible lens and likely has noticeably worst IQ (excellent IQ, but not at the same level as the Nikon prime). I have the Nikon 500mm, and the IQ is superb, but I find it limiting. I always have a second camera with a zoom attached, because 500 is too long if a bird or animal moves in too close or you just don't have enough room for 500mm. I've put in an order for the 100-500--I haven't decided whether I'm keeping the Nikon prime; three different systems is just too many--because the flexibility (both in size and FL range) is highly desirable.

Aye, the main selling point for me on that prime is it is small and optically excellent. My main wildlife lens till now has been a 300mm f/2.8 form 1988 which is really sharp and produces lovely images. But now I want more reach and the best IQ I can get from that reach. But I also want to be able to get up a hill. ATM I always have my Canon with the 300mm and my Nikon Z6 with the 50 or 85mm on it. So my fill the gap plan with the prime would be perhaps the R5 with the 70-200. I'll need to try out a few combos but the R5 and 100-500 is certainly way up there.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

freejay

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2015
I think it means that you have to extend the lens to 300mm before you can mount the extender. If that's true it is actually a hindrance because you won't have
100-300mm available and also cannot pack the lens with the extender on.
I guess you just can't get a sharp image below 300. You can put it on: See Gordon Laing's (?) video:

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
I guess you just can't get a sharp image below 300. You can put it on: See Gordon Laing's (?) video:

Was just watching one of his reviews on the R5 and one of the battery grips comes with a gigabit wired network port! hardcore :) and so far liking his reviews, they seem less drama, more info.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I realize we all still need to get these cameras in our hands to be certain, but it suuuuure seems like both of these are nothing short of amazing. Well done, Canon. Well done.
I agree with you there. I'm in the camp of holding out for a 5DmkV, and have been a bit 'meh' about mirrorless - nothing against it, just happy where I am - but I have to admit that having seen the launch event today, and the AF capabilities in particular, I'm now feeling an itchy wallet o_Oo_O

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

You may be right, but I'm not convinced that is such a 'surprise for stills shooters' as touted, and like nighthawk82, I'm wondering where the surprise is...

DPAF 2 and the 120Hz EVF are bigger changes for stills than anything else I could imagine. You are looking though that EVF all day and that is a class leading one.

Also of note the R6 and R have 6 series weather sealing and the 5 has 5 series weather sealing. Honestly I like that they share a grip and the like but I would have liked to really go more to the Nikon Z route with the only difference being the sensor. If I want a high MP monster or need a low light pro, why should I have to pick between a weaker build to get the low light. Unless the R5 also has class leading high ISO.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Unfortunately the 122FPS mode drains the battery even faster...

Grip and the 6 batteries I have just now plus 2 new ones. We'll EVF's being the major selling point of the next 2 R1 series bodies then it'll just be expected to be 300fps 0ms latency, like we had with start up time being a selling point until instant on was the expectation.

Upvote 0