Preorder: Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and new lenses

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Thank you!!

I saw this on the page at B&H and wondered about it but decided not to worry about it.

I'm already climbing the walls wanting this thing to get here so no sense getting myself even more would up over nothing.

I keep telling myself 'it will be here when it gets here' but that doesn't seem to be working very well.

I own several cameras. Some could say I have a problem. I wouldn't argue with them. I will say that I haven't been this excited to get a camera in my hands since I stepped up from my 40D to my 7D2.

I couldn't wait.

This is worse.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I like your mature and sensible approach to the limitations. Unfortunately some people (prematurely) assumed the R5 would be unlimited recording and were talking about downsampled to 4K videos with the ability to crop/pan/zoom. It’s worth remembering high end hybrid stills/video cameras aren’t substitutes for cine cameras (assuming there’s a budget for such cameras) as they will be limited in one way or another in comparison. It’s not too bad though as long as you don’t need long recording times for, say, live event recording or long interviews. I still think Canon should have been more upfront about the limitations because many people got their hopes up when the specs were first leaked and it was never like we wouldn’t find out eventually.

One of the main problem I have with this is that Canon have always been stating that they do not want to put out unreliable products. They'd rather have lower specs that always worked. I recall them once stating this in regards to overheating.

The other main concern is that they should not have some unpredictable situation occur. They say if the temp is higher than 73, it will overheat and shut down faster. Instead, there should be a minimum time limit before it shuts down, no matter what the temp is. How is one to figure out when it will shut down when they are outside filming in the summer (or any day if you are in warmer climate areas)? But I understand that if you are in the snow, that limit would be higher, so having a limiter would not be good. So how about a way to turn that limiter on off through a setting. I would not want to have it just shut down on me and I lose footage! So why not have a warning (beep/flash) with a countdown timer to give you some idea when it's time to wrap it up?

I mentioned months ago that Canon could have create a little opening (that can be removed when you know you don't need the weather sealing) to allow the heat to escape. It wouldn't have been difficult to do.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
One of the main problem I have with this is that Canon have always been stating that they do not want to put out unreliable products. They'd rather have lower specs that always worked. I recall them once stating this in regards to overheating.

Overheating that craters the camera is what I would call unreliable, a system the warns the user that it system is reaching its heat threshold and shuts itself down if ignored to prevent damage is not unreliable in my books. I test Camera's max heat tolerances all the time and if a camera fails to protect itself that is considered a failure.

I was a bit surprised that they released a camera that has a built in fail-over point but after thinking about it I think it is brilliant. They get all the hype of 8K and pretty much no locked out features and they still protect their Cinema line of cameras.

For me the R5 is perfect as I take video clip of 5 mins max at the extreme end, most of my clips are 30sec. I will be a bit disappointed if at 4K 24P it cannot hit the 29:59 limit, but again it will not impact my work at all.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
I mentioned months ago that Canon could have create a little opening (that can be removed when you know you don't need the weather sealing) to allow the heat to escape. It wouldn't have been difficult to do.

Easy solution : just open up all the existing doors/seals while shooting to activate self-cooling mode. Your battery might fall out eventually, but at least it will be cool.

Upvote 0

StevenA

CR Pro
Jul 8, 2020
Everyone is freaking out about the R5 heat issues when recording 4k and 8k vids. Nobody is talking about the fact that most users are going to run out of card space LONG BEFORE the heating issues become issues.

Unless you are a professional and you've got 3 or 4 one Terabyte CFExpress cards to shove into the camera so you can keep recording this isn't likely to affect too many people. Not to mention the hard drives you'd have to start buying. And if you are a professional and you can afford 3 or 4 one Terabyte CFExpress cards then you probably should have saved that cash and bought a REAL cinema camera to begin with.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
I think its unreasonable to expect 8K or 4K 120p to have unlimited recording and no heating issues. Who wants to take 30 minute 8K videos. Its great for small clips or even proper movies with multiple shots. Not made for 2 hour interviews.

What if I want the option of zooming in on my interviewee's nose hairs in post? :giggle:

I am beginning to think that I will need a new computer as an add on accessory to my R5 to process the huge files!

Upvote 0
Is IPB on the R6 a big deal? I’m on a T3i (I know, sorry). I’m a woodworker, so I focus primarily on stills for my online store and social media, but I’ve recently started making some income on YouTube since I started posting videos of my builds. I don’t know much about All-I compared to IPB, or if it’s even worth thinking about. I would like that “cinematic” look, and wonder about color grading IPB, etc. Thanks for any advice or information. I got up at 4:50am to watch the release. Woo.
Hey mate, not sure if anyone has answered this for you (couldn't be bothered scrolling through haha). Basically All-I and IPB are two different ways of compressing the frames in the video file. Putting it very simply, All-i will be a higher quality file with more data and less compression. I always shoot All-i for anything that needs to be quality, unless I'm filming something long-form where I'm mindful of memory capacity such as wedding speeches, then I'll briefly swap over to IPB.

Upvote 0
Everyone is freaking out about the R5 heat issues when recording 4k and 8k vids. Nobody is talking about the fact that most users are going to run out of card space LONG BEFORE the heating issues become issues.

Unless you are a professional and you've got 3 or 4 one Terabyte CFExpress cards to shove into the camera so you can keep recording this isn't likely to affect too many people. Not to mention the hard drives you'd have to start buying. And if you are a professional and you can afford 3 or 4 one Terabyte CFExpress cards then you probably should have saved that cash and bought a REAL cinema camera to begin with.
Very well said!!

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
Hey mate, not sure if anyone has answered this for you (couldn't be bothered scrolling through haha). Basically All-I and IPB are two different ways of compressing the frames in the video file. Putting it very simply, All-i will be a higher quality file with more data and less compression. I always shoot All-i for anything that needs to be quality, unless I'm filming something long-form where I'm mindful of memory capacity such as wedding speeches, then I'll briefly swap over to IPB.
So do you use 24p or a higher rate?

Upvote 0
So what does everyone think about the most recent rumoured specs of the Sony A7sII after seeing the limitations / issues with the R5?

And to be clear if my username didn't alrady make it so, I am a canon user and have no interest in going to Sony.

Purely curious of the opinions of others also considering or getting the R5.

Sonyalpharumours is just about the worst rumour site I have ever had the misfortune of reading and have next to zero insight into the inner workings of Sony's camera division. They claim anything and everything with the wild hope that at least some of the rubbish the site spouts out actually comes true. The only time to get any solid info about a camera release or spec list from that site is normally 24hrs before an actual announcement when the rest of the web knows it too.

The fact S now stands for supreme rather than sensitivity is a sign that what ever Sony do, it will cost a lot more and be a solid 4k video camera and little else, unlike the way Canon see's the R5.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

So Wrong.

8K overheats at 20 mins - Capacity up to 1hr 12mins w/256GB card
4K overheats at 30-35 mins - Capacity up to 2hr 27 mins w/256 GB card

Those overheating times are at 73F/23C with best case scenarios
Good luck in the summer time (for me, that is all year long)
Good luck on your next tropical vacation
Good luck after it overheats and you need to wait 10-20 minutes just to have the limit reduced down to only 3-10 minutes (at MOST).

The era where Canon says that they won't put out camera that is unreliable is over. If you can't beat Sony, join them.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
So what does everyone think about the most recent rumoured specs of the Sony A7sII after seeing the limitations / issues with the R5?

And to be clear if my username didn't alrady make it so, I am a canon user and have no interest in going to Sony.

Purely curious of the opinions of others also considering or getting the R5.

We really won't know what actual limitations or issues are until we actually get the actual camera in the hands of actual users and let them actually use them in the actual manner that they will be used before we can determine what is actually going on.

:p

But seriously - let the camera get out and get used and then we'll see what the real deal is and whether or not there is anything to be concerned about.

I'm of the mindset that if you're planning on using the R5 for professional video productions that might put you in a situation where heat might, possibly, maybe, but we won't really know until we actually get to use the camera, cause a problem, then maybe a stills/video camera wasn't the right choice.

Personally not caring about Sony whatsoever regardless of what they introduce and/or purpose. I'm so deep in my Canon investment (see signature) that I'm in for the long haul. I don't use my DSLRs or mirrorless cameras as video cameras, I use them to shoot clips. If I wanted a primary video camera, I'd buy one that is purpose suited.

That's just me. If the camera even has a heat problem I doubt I could afford the memory cards to run it that long.

Upvote 0