Canon releases an official statement about the EOS R5 and EOS R6 heat concerns

reefroamer

CR Pro
Jun 21, 2014
Small steps, people. A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. Canon has taken that step. Progress is progress. The Wright brothers' first powered flight at Kitty Hawk, NC, in 1902, was limited to ONLY 852 feet, lasted JUST 59 seconds and would easily have been captured in 8k on the R5. Fortunately, the poor brothers didn’t have to endure hours of YouTube video and endless Internet forum bashing for their huge FAIL.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Respinder

5D Mark III
Mar 4, 2012
For sure 4K 24 doesn't. And this is really the primary setting a lot of video shooters will likely use for a brunt of their work. Me included.

I'm honestly surprised that I am surprised people are still talking about this. I'm a primary video shooter, and it really truly is a non-issue that the specialized codecs/settings have an upper limit for heat. Going to keep shaking my head all the way until my R5 arrives and I can go back to quietly enjoying making things. Hahaha
If this is the case then this is amazing news. I’m not sure why people (eg EOSHD) are getting so butthurt over this. Almost all my shooting is at 24p so this would work out perfectly for me!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2016
Oh my lord. Anyone watching this should have no doubts left that Tony is being paid to be negative about Canon:

Honestly - poo-pooed 8K said it wouldn't happen. Then said it would be timelapse, then promoted doubt around it, then focused on the overheat.

And now this - comparing these leaked specs in every way, even using coded language, to make the Sony sound superior. This is the definition of paid shilling.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
before the official release canon broadly communicated that there wasn’t a crop or any catch to their video specs. We were all shocked because 8k just seemed almost impossible without a catch

I didn’t suggest the overheating is on purpose and didn’t connect this camera to the cinema line. I wouldn’t but a cinema camera. I believe video and stills will merge over time but stills are the mostimportant to me
thank you but you have not answered my question. please be specific.:

++++ canon even made clear that the video specs were not limited in anyway before the official release.

A.M.: Could you please please advise the source of this intel? I do not believe that Canon ever stated that the video specs were not limited in anyway.

further to you recent statement:

++++ We were all shocked because 8k just seemed almost impossible without a catch.....

A.M.: We? who we?

++++The thermal issues seem to be the rate limiting step
and
++++I didn’t suggest the overheating is on purpose

A.M.: so was it a rate limiting step (as in on purpose) or not on purpose? A Cripple hummer or a technolgical limitation?

Upvote 0
Jun 9, 2020
Oh my lord. Anyone watching this should have no doubts left that Tony is being paid to be negative about Canon:

Honestly - poo-pooed 8K said it wouldn't happen. Then said it would be timelapse, then promoted doubt around it, then focused on the overheat.

And now this - comparing these leaked specs in every way, even using coded language, to make the Sony sound superior. This is the definition of paid shilling.

Tony makes a living by being wrong, this is what he said about the R5 when it what rumoured

IMG_20200714_200334.jpg

• Haha
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
If this is the case then this is amazing news. I’m not sure why people (eg EOSHD) are getting so butthurt over this. Almost all my shooting is at 24p so this would work out perfectly for me!
Cause they were truly and rightfully shafted by the mighty Canon. obviously their butt is hurting now. picture that :D

Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
so buy an R5 and have it work for 20 minutes before it bakes itself into submission...

That's the point, it doesn't do that at 4k 30p non-HQ. Only 4k 30p HQ, 4k 60p, 4k 120p, and 8k 30p have those limitations. And as previously mentioned, video is secondary to stills for me anyway...I will probably film some concerts lasting in upwards of 2 hrs, but 4k 30p is more than sufficient for the job as I will set on a tripod and frame properly.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Tony makes a living by being wrong, this is what he said about the R5 when it what rumoured

View attachment 191357
Duh? He is saying how great it is to use a 12 Mpixel sensor? If you only shoot video, that may work, but still shooters are going to reject this approach! Yes, Tony is Sony Blind to the obvious.

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
With the creative cloud, you can install a trial version of Premiere, it'll work for a month or so. Each new yearly version will give you another trial.

I like your logic. :ROFLMAO: I can have Premiere Rush which is probably a downgraded version of Pro but I'm not sure if this will do it.That's me sorted for a few hours messing with this. Cheers

I need to stop getting ahead of myself and overexcited as although I pre ordered the R5 and am told I am 5th on the list, I'm not that lucky and I probably won't get a unit in the 1st delivery. :cry:

Whatever you do, do not touch Premier, it is an endless unstable resource hog that will drain your bank account dry in a slow death by subscription and lock you into an endless cycle of hardware upgrades that still don't fix it's inherent inability to properly process LongGOP footage. After a few years of paying for it, trying to keep it from crashing, and upgrading HW to try to make it work smoothly, and right when you have it somewhat stable Adobe forces another update onto your computer that renders your previous projects unreadable and starts the crashing and instability all over again; you will regret the day you ever discovered it.

Now with all of that first hand doom and gloom out of the way do you want to know the MUCH better alternative? It's called Davinci Resolve...completely free for life, amazing Hollywood grade color grading, NLE editing, compositing, special effects compositing, GPU accelerated rendering....the list goes on and on. And if you do reach the point in your video production career where you want to do more advanced things or if you need to process 10bit footage, then you can purchase it for a one time fee of $300 and you will get free upgrades for life.

Davinci Resolve does have a bit of a steeper learning curve...but only if you are trying to unlearn Premier Pro. It took me about a week 8hrs a day to unlearn all of my Premier Pro muscle memory and to reach equivalent efficicency in Davinci Resolve. But it was the best move I have ever made.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada

It's my definition of a jerk. ;) I no longer view anything of his.

Jack

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
thank you but you have not answered my question. please be specific.:

++++ canon even made clear that the video specs were not limited in anyway before the official release.

A.M.: Could you please please advise the source of this intel? I do not believe that Canon ever stated that the video specs were not limited in anyway.

further to you recent statement:

++++ We were all shocked because 8k just seemed almost impossible without a catch.....

A.M.: We? who we?

++++The thermal issues seem to be the rate limiting step
and
++++I didn’t suggest the overheating is on purpose

A.M.: so was it a rate limiting step (as in on purpose) or not on purpose? A Cripple hummer or a technolgical limitation?

Sorry I am never going to give Canon a pass on this one. They had press releases like this:

and I quote "EOS R5 holds its own as the lead camera in productions" no lead production camera in most productions would have such severe thermal constraints. I agree Canon never said specifically that 8K would be unlimited, and no one believed it would be, but so is 4K120, so is 4K60 which I use nearly all the time for gimbal work, and so is HQ 4K30. So after paying $6K for a new body and lenses the only reliable video frame rate and quality that you can get out of the R5 is the same thing you get out of the EOS R...4K 30 and written to a single card.

All Canon had to do was make an R6H version like Panasonic did, make it bigger, add a fan, give it backup video recording capabilities, and remove the recording time limit. That would have been the perfect camera.

Last edited:
Upvote 0