Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Another through my crappy double glazing. I was in a zoom meeting and had to grab my camera, which was set up incorrectly for 1/4000s and iso 640 for BIF, and I fired off a shot that required 4 stops pushing in post. For those who say you should never need to push through 4 stops, well I got my best shot of a Sparrowhawk. Too much speculation on R5 and not enough images being posted.

View attachment 191178
I like this one much better than the previous! It looks like you got a frequent visitor to your garden!

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
A week later the White Tern chick is at least 2X bigger. Still needs some protection at high wind.
I was outside when noticed a parent coming with a prey. Rushed inside to get the camera but missed the moment of feeding...
~6:30 pm against the west, very strong gusts of the wind. I thing the last was the reason for the parent to stay and protect. At one of the strong gusts I got probably my favorite photo of White Tern. ISO 1000, f.9 and 1/60s. EV -0.67 (just to gain some tiny bit of speed and to protect the highlights. Not really sharp but I like the effects of the high wind blowing from behind - compared to this one all my older photos of the adult bird look kind of boring. No idea what is that thing on the bill of the parent (for sure part of the prey but what part? - they feed the chick with small fish and squid). No fish scales anyway!

BTW - congratulation to all Canon community for these really impressive announcements from Canon! I may rent one day the R5 with the 100-500 and RF 1.4 to see what they are doing in practice. For complete change of the system it's to expensive for me (I have very little doubts that the system will work very good to excellent!).

DSC_9499_DxO.jpgDSC_9554_DxO-1.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Great - it has a family! I wonder if you can track it to it's nest: leucism is heritable and I would like to see the color of the offspring. Some, if not all of the chicks could be black if they get a dominant (and not mutated gene) from the other parent...

Blackbird by Luka Rifelj, on Flickr

Maybe this one? I am not sure...

Upvote 0