Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
Apr 30, 2017
Few more of the same: Japanese White Eye (showing it's acrobatics in the second photo and feeding on Erythrina sp.) and juvenile Red-crested Cardinal. The adult is there for comparing, looks different.

DSC_8447_DxO.jpg
DSC_8469_DxO.jpg
DSC_8750_DxO.jpg
DSC_8763_DxO.jpg
DSC_8716_DxO.jpg

ERHP

EOS RP
May 9, 2013
San Diego
erhp.smugmug.com
Babou, my Yellow Crowned Night Heron buddy from last year, is back for another crab crunching season. Was a bit worried as last year 'he' had a large lump on one leg and seemed to favor it while walking but over time the swelling went down and now it isn't immediately noticeable unless you are looking for it. Babou likes long walks down the river, crabs on the half or full shell, and the occasional underbill scratch.

1DX MK III w/600 f/4L II 1/1250 : f/14 : ISO 1000

1DX MK III w/600 f/4L II 1/2500 : f/9 : ISO 1000

AlanF

Stay alert, control the camera, save photos
Aug 16, 2012
My wife shouted there's a strange bird in the garden. I rushed into the room with camera and saw it was a Sparrowhawk devouring its prey. Got off a few shots through the horrible double glazing - as I have often said, I have never got a sharp shot through double glazing,and this was at iso 4000 on a high resolution sensor.
DSC_4731-DxO_sparrow_hawk-lsss.jpg

HenryL

EOS R5
Apr 1, 2020
Nice one, AlanF. Never seen one of those. Around here lately it seems the crows have chased off everything except red-winged blackbirds. And grackles. Lots of grackles. Haven't seen a red or yellow bird in weeks, so thanks for adding some variety to my day. :)

Reactions: AlanF

ISv

Apr 30, 2017
Just bird life...

Bridled Tern!!! (Onychoprion anaethetus) - at least the birds on the first two photos and the bird on the left side on the third photo. The middle and the right birds on the last photo are may be Sooty Tern (I'm not very sure, could be the light).
I'm so exited because we have here thousands Sooty terns but the Bridled is very rare vagrant.
Note the grey-brown upperparts (black in the Sooty) and the narrow and getting behind the eyes white forehead patch.
Below is a Sooty Tern from here...

DSC_6811_DxO.jpg

Cog

EOS RP
Dec 6, 2013
Qatar
Bridled Tern!!! (Onychoprion anaethetus) - at least the birds on the first two photos and the bird on the left side on the third photo. The middle and the right birds on the last photo are may be Sooty Tern (I'm not very sure, could be the light).
I'm so exited because we have here thousands Sooty terns but the Bridled is very rare vagrant.
Note the grey-brown upperparts (black in the Sooty) and the narrow and getting behind the eyes white forehead patch.
Below is a Sooty Tern from here...

View attachment 191111
Thanks, ISv! These are the same kind on all photos. It's the light that made the one on the right look darker. But thanks for a hint. I'll start looking for sooty terns.

ISv

Apr 30, 2017
Thanks, ISv! These are the same kind on all photos. It's the light that made the one on the right look darker. But thanks for a hint. I'll start looking for sooty terns.
Agree! The right one has slightly shorter white patch but it's form match the Bridled (I have no idea if they interbreed). I think this white patch is the easiest way to separate these two species. The color of the back and the upper wings could be very tricky but in proper lighting is like "bingo"!
Otherwise I think they have overlapping presence in your area and you may find the Sooty rather fast (not the same with the Bridled here - I may spend years looking for it:()!