Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
Apr 30, 2017
Nice captures indeed!

One from today ...

Great - it has a family! I wonder if you can track it to it's nest: leucism is heritable and I would like to see the color of the offspring. Some, if not all of the chicks could be black if they get a dominant (and not mutated gene) from the other parent...

Reactions: luka567

HenryL

EOS R5
Apr 1, 2020
I rented the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary this weekend. Started with a walk around the park with the M6II...

M62_5461_C1.jpg

Yesterday I put it on the 7DII and took it out on the water. This beauty landed on a low branch and I was able to basically float around the tree for a while looking for her best side.

7D2_8033_C1.jpg

7D2_8038_C1.jpg

AlanF

Stay alert, control the camera, save photos
Aug 16, 2012
I rented the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary this weekend. Started with a walk around the park with the M6II...

View attachment 191168

Yesterday I put it on the 7DII and took it out on the water. This beauty landed on a low branch and I was able to basically float around the tree for a while looking for her best side.

View attachment 191170

View attachment 191171
It’s an underrated lens. It will be interesting to see how it stacks up vs the 100-500mm.

ISv

Apr 30, 2017
I hope Canon is not going to make the same not very smart move like Nikon: 200-500 with better AF engine and at least slightly better quality control (I have no idea how much it will increase the price but at least the engine shouldn't be that much expensive. The quality control is expensive!) would be really something. I have good copy (as an IQ) but it's slow!
Did I say SLOW? I understand that such a lens will compete with it's more expensive sisters but there is also another stuff that is going into considerations when one compares them... And when buying them! 200-500 f5.6 is readily available 24/7! The 2.5x more expensive 500 PF is still in back-order - despite at least in the center it's not much better (but even the corners are not that much better and when you are taking photos of wild life the corners not always matter...).
OK - but what about the resolution when you shoot longer distances? What about AF speed and tracking abilities? What about the weight? Off-course the zoom has the advantage to be zoom but I found myself shooting mostly at 500mm... And what about working with converters?
I really hope Canon will make it the right way (and still money effective!) - just look at the 100-400 last generation, they have a tradition there!

Reactions: Jack Douglas

AlanF

Aug 16, 2012
I hope Canon is not going to make the same not very smart move like Nikon: 200-500 with better AF engine and at least slightly better quality control (I have no idea how much it will increase the price but at least the engine shouldn't be that much expensive. The quality control is expensive!) would be really something. I have good copy (as an IQ) but it's slow!
Did I say SLOW? I understand that such a lens will compete with it's more expensive sisters but there is also another stuff that is going into considerations when one compares them... And when buying them! 200-500 f5.6 is readily available 24/7! The 2.5x more expensive 500 PF is still in back-order - despite at least in the center it's not much better (but even the corners are not that much better and when you are taking photos of wild life the corners not always matter...).
OK - but what about the resolution when you shoot longer distances? What about AF speed and tracking abilities? What about the weight? Off-course the zoom has the advantage to be zoom but I found myself shooting mostly at 500mm... And what about working with converters?
I really hope Canon will make it the right way (and still money effective!) - just look at the 100-400 last generation, they have a tradition there!
Noone can complain about the sharpness of your images, your copy of the 200-500mm is really tops! I do quite a lot of BIF and I do need sharpness at the edge of the frame as fast birds are often difficult to keep in the centre of the frame, as well as lightning fast AF. The 100-400mm II does fulfil my needs in. spades. The new f/11 lenses will not be good for BIF as not only are they too long and slow for my liking but they have STM which is slower focussing. I would love Canon to bring out a rival to the Nikon 500mm f/5.6 PF. My copy is as sharp as my former 400mm DO II from centre to edge, just as fast AF and weighs only 200g more than the new 800mm f/11, and 800g in practice less than the DO II. I have full confidence (= desperately hope) that Canon's 100-500mm RF will be as good. If it is and the R5 is able to cope with birds, I'll probably sell off my Canon DSLRs, reluctantly, and get the pair. At the moment, the 5DSR/100-400mm II and the Nikon 500PF keep me very happy. It's still difficult for a mirrorless to beat a DSLR for birds - not even the Sony A7IV does and the A9 has too low resolution for my purposes.

Click

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 29, 2012
Canada

Beautiful shots, Henry. Well done.

AlanF

Aug 16, 2012
The price of the 100-500mm has just been revealed, £2899. That's high enough for me to wait for a serious while.

AlanF

Aug 16, 2012
Another through my crappy double glazing. I was in a zoom meeting and had to grab my camera, which was set up incorrectly for 1/4000s and iso 640 for BIF, and I fired off a shot that required 4 stops pushing in post. For those who say you should never need to push through 4 stops, well I got my best shot of a Sparrowhawk. Too much speculation on R5 and not enough images being posted.

DSC_4023-DxO_Sparrowhawk-lsss_small.jpg

HenryL

EOS R5
Apr 1, 2020
Looking good man, looking good! If shooting through your crappy double glazing gets you pics like that, then I want some installed at my place. :LOL:

ISv

Apr 30, 2017
Another through my crappy double glazing. I was in a zoom meeting and had to grab my camera, which was set up incorrectly for 1/4000s and iso 640 for BIF, and I fired off a shot that required 4 stops pushing in post. For those who say you should never need to push through 4 stops, well I got my best shot of a Sparrowhawk. Too much speculation on R5 and not enough images being posted.

View attachment 191178
I like this one much better than the previous! It looks like you got a frequent visitor to your garden!

ISv

Apr 30, 2017
Looking good man, looking good! If shooting through your crappy double glazing gets you pics like that, then I want some installed at my place. :LOL:
I would skip the double glazing but I want the bird "installed" around:p!

Reactions: HenryL

ISv

Apr 30, 2017
A week later the White Tern chick is at least 2X bigger. Still needs some protection at high wind.
I was outside when noticed a parent coming with a prey. Rushed inside to get the camera but missed the moment of feeding...
~6:30 pm against the west, very strong gusts of the wind. I thing the last was the reason for the parent to stay and protect. At one of the strong gusts I got probably my favorite photo of White Tern. ISO 1000, f.9 and 1/60s. EV -0.67 (just to gain some tiny bit of speed and to protect the highlights. Not really sharp but I like the effects of the high wind blowing from behind - compared to this one all my older photos of the adult bird look kind of boring. No idea what is that thing on the bill of the parent (for sure part of the prey but what part? - they feed the chick with small fish and squid). No fish scales anyway!

BTW - congratulation to all Canon community for these really impressive announcements from Canon! I may rent one day the R5 with the 100-500 and RF 1.4 to see what they are doing in practice. For complete change of the system it's to expensive for me (I have very little doubts that the system will work very good to excellent!).

DSC_9499_DxO.jpg
DSC_9554_DxO-1.jpg

Bert63

EOS RP
Dec 3, 2017
Such fantastic photos.. Been gone awhile - health reasons - but have really enjoyed all the great photos. Hopefully I'l be able to get out in yard and get a few shots - babies everywhere.