Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Just bird life...

Bridled Tern!!! (Onychoprion anaethetus) - at least the birds on the first two photos and the bird on the left side on the third photo. The middle and the right birds on the last photo are may be Sooty Tern (I'm not very sure, could be the light).
I'm so exited because we have here thousands Sooty terns but the Bridled is very rare vagrant.
Note the grey-brown upperparts (black in the Sooty) and the narrow and getting behind the eyes white forehead patch.
Below is a Sooty Tern from here...

DSC_6811_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Cog

Dec 6, 2013
Qatar
Bridled Tern!!! (Onychoprion anaethetus) - at least the birds on the first two photos and the bird on the left side on the third photo. The middle and the right birds on the last photo are may be Sooty Tern (I'm not very sure, could be the light).
I'm so exited because we have here thousands Sooty terns but the Bridled is very rare vagrant.
Note the grey-brown upperparts (black in the Sooty) and the narrow and getting behind the eyes white forehead patch.
Below is a Sooty Tern from here...

View attachment 191111
Thanks, ISv! These are the same kind on all photos. It's the light that made the one on the right look darker. But thanks for a hint. I'll start looking for sooty terns.

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Thanks, ISv! These are the same kind on all photos. It's the light that made the one on the right look darker. But thanks for a hint. I'll start looking for sooty terns.
Agree! The right one has slightly shorter white patch but it's form match the Bridled (I have no idea if they interbreed). I think this white patch is the easiest way to separate these two species. The color of the back and the upper wings could be very tricky but in proper lighting is like "bingo"!
Otherwise I think they have overlapping presence in your area and you may find the Sooty rather fast (not the same with the Bridled here - I may spend years looking for it:()!

Upvote 0

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I got stuck at home this morning - it was rainy. Later the rain stopped for 1-2 hours. Looking from the lanai I discovered a White Tern above the pool area. I have seen them many times there but didn't believe they are going to lay an egg there - the branch is rather narrow. But they did! And the chick is freshly hatched.

DSC_8784_DxO.jpgDSC_8790_DxO.jpgDSC_8813_DxO.jpgDSC_8836_DxO.jpgDSC_8905_DxO.jpg

Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
I got stuck at home this morning - it was rainy. Later the rain stopped for 1-2 hours. Looking from the lanai I discovered a White Tern above the pool area. I have seen them many times there but didn't believe they are going to lay an egg there - the branch is rather narrow. But they did! And the chick is freshly hatched.

Beautiful series, ISv.

Upvote 0