Review: Canon EOS R6 by DPReview

Colorado

Canon R5
Dec 16, 2013
would people move downmarket from a 1DX2 to R5?
I can't speak to 1DX2 users but my current situation is that I am one of those amateur photographers that has a 1DX. I have no monetary justification for having bought 1 series cameras. If I am being honest real life pressures have had me drift away from photography as a hobby. The jump from a 1DX (Mark Zero) to a 5D is not really downmarket for me. I get a lot more and can still use my EF lenses and pick up RF lenses when I can. And some new toys might re-spark interest in the hobby.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

addola

Sold my soul for a flippy screen
Nov 16, 2015
So to summarise -

The R6 is just as good as the specs suggest and the footage from the pre-productin R5 is WHOOOOOOOOOAh good. And the IBIS is Olympus level on a FF

Yeah, the footage from the R5 is awesome, with lots of dynamic range given the time of day they shot it (harsh sunlight). They might have shot in CLOG and graded it, but it looks amazing!

Upvote 0
I agree the R system seems to have a fantastic foundation, but the questions are how much Canon is going to charge for it, and what the competition is offering. Would be great if Sigma and Tamron start offering RF mount lenses, and if Samyang keep releasing lenses like their RF 85mm f/1.4 AF, but we will have to see what happens.

As for an EOS R being a solid upgrade for me over my 6D II, I'm far from convinced about that. Yes it would give me a newer sensor, but I'd get lesser battery life, lower FPS when tracking and, most importantly to me, have to deal with an EVF introducing latency into what I'm seeing (not to mention I spend too much time looking at screens as it is!). Plus the current asking price for an EOS R plus control ring adapter is around A$3000, which is almost 50% more than I paid for my 6D II. And as I alluded to in my earlier post, there is the price of the RF lenses too consider too. All in all, I'm not at all sure I'd be happy if I spent money on an R.
It’s too bad they can’t give them away, with any new technology there’s always going to be that premium tag, it’s just not canon that has that, Any sony gmaster lens cost just as much as the RF lens, they just release a new 12-24f2.8 for $3k, so you might be better off just staying with the 6dII, and if you move up to the R you Can use all you’re lenses, so in reality you’re just looking at $1700 . I have the R and it’s way better than The 6d. I’m getting the R5 aswell, good times

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Here you go -- it's charted out here, from DPReview:

- A

It occurs to me that since you shoot Canon, and are known for wanting a 50mm IS, you might enjoy using the 50/1.2 on an R5 or R6, given that you'd get 7 stops of IS that way. Is this in the cards for you, or are you holding out for a 50/1.4?

Upvote 0
Not a mention of the huge deal breakers of the R6:
- R6 cannot record video to both SD card slots, photo proxies to second SD card only. They added a useless second SD card slot
- R6 has a 30min limit even though the EU 30min tax ended 19 months ago.
- R6 overheats 4K60 and it also overheats oversampled 4K30 at standard room temperature, in normal summer weather it probably burns up even much sooner.

The R6 looked great initially, but Canon needs to fix all those issues in an R6 mark2 before this camera can be considered.
If you need to do long sessions, A ninja V will give you unlimited recording and no heating issues, I think that’s what a lot people do anyways with these cameras when they film a lot

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
It’s too bad they can’t give them away, with any new technology there’s always going to be that premium tag, it’s just not canon that has that, Any sony gmaster lens cost just as much as the RF lens, they just release a new 12-24f2.8 for $3k, so you might be better off just staying with the 6dII, and if you move up to the R you Can use all you’re lenses, so in reality you’re just looking at $1700 . I have the R and it’s way better than The 6d. I’m getting the R5 aswell, good times
Yeah, there is some reason to stick with Canon so I can keep using existing lenses, but then again if I'm going to end up with a mirrorless camera I'd like to be in a system which has lenses like a 24-70 2.8 (eg the Sigma one for Sony) and a relatively compact and light weight (Tamron) 70-180 (if not 70-200) which I might consider buying. With the RF lenses at current prices, I'm not going to be buying the RF 24-70 2.8 IS or RF 70-200 2.8 IS any time in the foreseeable future, least of all when there are much cheaper alternatives available if I switched to Sony. The Canon lenses might be awesome, but if I'm not going to buy them they are not any good to me! And as for getting an EOS R for $1,700, I assume you are talking about US$1,700. EOS R prices have gone up here in Australia even just in the last couple of weeks. Leaving aside grey market, stores are now selling them for about A$3,000, and that does not even include an RF/EF adapter. Even grey market is at least A$2400.

I'm not sure what I will do, but probably I will just keep using what I have for now. Still, a bit paradoxically, the R5 and R6 have pushed me closer to chaning to Sony than I've evr been before. It seems like Canon really will focus on the R system going forwards, so even though I expect the EF system will be around for a while yet the question is whether there will be any new development of it. Give me a camera with an OVF (so presumably a DSLR) and the AF accuracy of the R system and the ability to put an AF point anywhere, and I would be interested! Doesn't seem like that is going to happen though (if it is even possible). Anyway, my current gear may not be the latest and greatest, but it's still good gear so no reason I can't be happy with it for some time to come.

EDIT: And yes, I know they cannot give them a way. My point though is just that I can get comparable gear for my uses in the Sony system (albeit perhaps using Sigma and Tamron lenses) which seem to me to offer much better value than the R system gear.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
I can't speak to 1DX2 users but my current situation is that I am one of those amateur photographers that has a 1DX. I have no monetary justification for having bought 1 series cameras. If I am being honest real life pressures have had me drift away from photography as a hobby. The jump from a 1DX (Mark Zero) to a 5D is not really downmarket for me. I get a lot more and can still use my EF lenses and pick up RF lenses when I can. And some new toys might re-spark interest in the hobby.
I am delighted I cancelled my 1dx2 pre-order the moment pandemic started

Upvote 0
So nice to hear him say Canon has finally caught up on areas they had traditionally been behind on (DR, IBIS, Eye focus) and is blowing others away in many other areas (focus tracking, FPS, color science, etc.). This is going to be a fun camera to get my hands on when it finally arrives. I ordered the R5 and a few RF lenses, a 1.4x extender, a grip and a few batteries. Really looking forward to upgrading from my 5DSR for wildlife! Will also use this for astro since it is likely going to be much cleaner at high ISO than the 5DSR. Can't wait.

Bob

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
It occurs to me that since you shoot Canon, and are known for wanting a 50mm IS, you might enjoy using the 50/1.2 on an R5 or R6, given that you'd get 7 stops of IS that way. Is this in the cards for you, or are you holding out for a 50/1.4?

IBIS is huge, but it doesn't make big/heavy glass any lighter. So when I get an R5 (likely next year I'd guess), I'll still want a small modern 50 but will likely adapt my trusty old EF 50 f/1.4 on it until I get one.

That said, I have shot the RF 50L with a CPS Loaner and I was in love with everything about it other than size/weight. Stellar lens I'd be glad to own, but I wouldn't bring it everywhere because of the aforementioned heft.

So getting the R5 doesn't solve my small 50 prime problem, but it opens a few more doors for me. It's possible I finally accept a third party lens with untrustworthy AF if I have the MF assist tools through the viewfinder. Mirrorless has a nice added appeal there.

- A

Upvote 0
I expect the gray market prices in the A7R4 with the discounts to be very close to the R6 launch price here, so it is not too dissimilar.
I'd still choose the R6, on the basis that it is a better all-round camera, while the A7R4 is strong if one really needs 61MP (a 26MP crop mode for instance), but not that necessary otherwise.
They are different cameras, I am just not that surprised that the pricing is not that different, because the Canon offers many things that are better, despite being the cheap version of the two new models. It's practically one generation newer camera, and it shows. Sony still has some things to fix in the inevitable A7R5 while Canon is pretty good to go for some years, maybe they will shorten their usual 4-year product cycles with the RF, I am not sure about that.

Some may mock the 20MP on the R6, but apart from that, not only everything works that's useful, but they also work very well.

Oh yeah, I'm not knocking the r6, and for most cases, it'll be a better option overall.
From a cost perspective here though, the cheaper Canon option here is pretty much 5dmk4 release price, so the bargain moniker might not apply as widely down under. In USD here (with tax applied) its just over $3,200

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
I watched this, but it still feels very much like a preview. I want to see inside the viewfinder and get at look at the AF performance. I want to see images out of the camera. I do not care one little bit how they perform in video.
Jared Polin was unboxing his R5/R6 today and his reviews are usually pretty thorough. He said it would probably take 2 weeks to do a thorough review. I don’t think you can expect more than high level at this point since most of the reviewers have only had the cameras a short time.

Upvote 0
Jun 24, 2019
Great points you have there, I guess that is why it was difficult deciding which one to go with. I however decided to go with the R5 despite the price increase because I want a more durable body and the higher megapixel count. I also want the 8K, so that I can create still grabs from hard to catch situations.
8k and storm stills sounds a good fit, lightening is a difficult catch

Upvote 0
Jun 24, 2019
I don't agree that these cameras are different only in resolution for $1400 or that they are both an R6 with only one major feature difference (resolution). I would agree the $1400 might be slightly much for all that you do get, but it is not just resolution on the list.

Just talking resolution, when it is needed, 45 vs. 20 MP allows over a third of the frame to be cropped in either dimension and have the same quality, or it can be down sampled uncropped to eliminate noise. It also allows for larger prints, and I did see my large print quality improve when I went from 20-30MP as it obviously should. I could never go back to my 6D @ 20 MP for many types of shooting I do (timelapse, astro photography, severe weather, landscape) without a significant loss in quality and post processing options. For some people, 20MP might be fine as it was for me for many years, but I push right to the edge of even the 5D4 capabilities currently at 30MP, and that extra 1/4 of cropping I can do is used all the time. 45MP will be even better.

If you consider all the difference between these cameras, the $1400 starts to make more sense and they appear very similarly priced and spec'd to the mirrorless updated equivalents of the 5D4 and 6D:
  1. 8K (debatable how many of us will actually use it)
  2. 4K DCI vs UHD (essential if that is your project format)
  3. +25 MP (significant for many types of photo and video work, and if you need it, you need it.)
  4. Better weather sealing
  5. Better LPF
  6. Higher resolution viewfinder
  7. Larger rear screen (slightly) with higher resolution
  8. Faster Wifi and newer bluetooth.
  9. For 4K video the R5 is full frame vs. a slight crop on the R6 (not a big deal).
  10. Top screen (RF control ring might make this less needed but still nice to have)
  11. Several more video modes such as shutter and aperture priority
  12. More resolutions and codecs
  13. 3 pin remote shutter release port vs 2.5mm
  14. Nearly all metal vs part plastic body
  15. Dual pixel raw (it isn't that amazing in the past, but some new features and DSP are promising)
  16. R5 ships earlier :D
For myself, its a bit much and obviously marketing separation, but when considering my needs the 1400 seems worth it in the end and it is hard to regard these as simply two R6 with one having more resolution. I shoot in bad weather, I push resolution, and the better EVF and screen will be welcome for someone used to non articulating DSLR (5D4 and 6D).
the cropping might not work out as the resolution of the lens may not match the 45mp of the sensor, you would really have to see dxo and do the math, many older lenses suffer with the 20mp

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
IBIS is huge, but it doesn't make big/heavy glass any lighter. So when I get an R5 (likely next year I'd guess), I'll still want a small modern 50 but will likely adapt my trusty old EF 50 f/1.4 on it until I get one.

That said, I have shot the RF 50L with a CPS Loaner and I was in love with everything about it other than size/weight. Stellar lens I'd be glad to own, but I wouldn't bring it everywhere because of the aforementioned heft.

So getting the R5 doesn't solve my small 50 prime problem, but it opens a few more doors for me. It's possible I finally accept a third party lens with untrustworthy AF if I have the MF assist tools through the viewfinder. Mirrorless has a nice added appeal there.

- A
Maybe Samyang will give you one. Their RF 85 f/1.4 AF is only a touch heavier than Canon's RF 85 f/2 IS, and seems to get good reviews, eg

I think Samyang already makes a 50m f1/.4 lens (with AF) for Sony.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Maybe Samyang will give you one. Their RF 85 f/1.4 AF is only a touch heavier than Canon's RF 85 f/2 IS, and seems to get good reviews, eg

I think Samyang already makes a 50m f1/.4 lens (with AF) for Sony.

Christopher Frost, my favorite lens reviewer on YouTube :love:

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
would people move downmarket from a 1DX2 to R5?
I loved my 1dx II, but don’t need the robust and heavy body. Good weather sealing and performance is all I need. TheR5 / R6 specs seem to indicate they will meet or exceed the 1dx II. The only unanswered question on both cameras is the EVF lag for fast action. The battery issue I can solve with extra batteries or a grip. I sold my 5dIV last year and the 1dx II was shipped off last week. I am keeping my 70-200 f4 L IS II and 100-400 II until I verify the performance of bodies and comparable RF lenses. The R5 will get used for landscape and wildlife when he light is good, the R6 will be the go to camera when the light fades. I don't really see this as moving downstream as long as both cameras meet their spec an the bodies are reasonably sealed. I can alway return the RF gear and buy a 1dx III if I am not happy, but I have a feeling I am really going to like the new bodies and lenses.

David

Last edited:
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Jared Polin was unboxing his R5/R6 today and his reviews are usually pretty thorough. He said it would probably take 2 weeks to do a thorough review. I don’t think you can expect more than high level at this point since most of the reviewers have only had the cameras a short time.

I’ll likely wait for another reviewer. I just seen one on the R5 posted in this thread that was good. What I am after now is a proper written review and not another YouTube personality. Jared Polin can be entertaining, but he can also be a lot of work to watch as he uses a lot of tone shifts and he is dreadfully excitable.

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
I’ll likely wait for another reviewer. I just seen one on the R5 posted in this thread that was good. What I am after now is a proper written review and not another YouTube personality. Jared Polin can be entertaining, but he can also be a lot of work to watch as he uses a lot of tone shifts and he is dreadfully excitable.
If you want a really in depth review, he may be worth tolerating. His review of the 1dx III was thorough and he spent a lot of time breaking down the + / - of the camera. He went the extra step and kludged together a solution to actually shoot the 1dx III as a mirrorless so he could understand the full capability. If he does a thorough review, I can look past the personality. I know he is not for everyone and I can only tolerate in small doses.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0