Canon releases 2nd Quarter 2020 Financial Results

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon Inc. has released its financial results for the 2nd quarter of 2020. The COVID-19 pandemic has obviously had a large impact on camera and lens sales, especially with the delays in launching the EOS R5 and EOS R6.
The bolded area at the end of the statement below shows Canon will be entering or developing new spaces for imaging.
From Canon Presentation Material in regards to imaging:
As for the second quarter, due to restrictions placed on people’s movement, there was fewer image capturing opportunities, such as travel and other events. As a result, the willingness of consumers to purchase cameras dropped significantly, leading to a large decline in our sales as well.
As for camera demand, despite the resumption of economic activity, initially in China, and now in the United States and Europe where we saw demand bottom out in April and start to improve from May, we believe it will take time for sales to recover as cameras...

Continue reading...

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...we will enhance our new concept camera initiative, which gives no regard to traditional camera concepts, as we prepare to launch the new models within this year.

What does that mean??? Are they launching new models of concept cameras? Or are they launching new models of production cameras based on past concept cameras?

I'm guessing it's the former. New concept cameras being previewed to grab attention but maybe nothing that will reach production.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

"We are positioning ourselves to capture new demand, for example, addressing the rapidly growing demand for video meetings, we released software that allows our EOS cameras to be used as web cameras"

Maybe they can make a web cam with a L series lens on it for the masses and finally get someone making non crap web conferencing possible.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

What does that mean??? Are they launching new models of concept cameras? Or are they launching new models of production cameras based on past concept cameras?

I'm guessing it's the former. New concept cameras being previewed to grab attention but maybe nothing that will reach production.

Development preview of the R1 would make a big splash along side the 300mm f/2.8 and 500mm f/4. Showing off mirrorless tech(ok probably DO but they'll market it as mirrorless) to make those lenses more handhold able than ever..... a nice wee dream.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019

Earnings aren't based on grabing attention.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Development preview of the R1 would make a big splash along side the 300mm f/2.8 and 500mm f/4. Showing off mirrorless tech(ok probably DO but they'll market it as mirrorless) to make those lenses more handhold able than ever..... a nice wee dream.
Agreed. But none of those products would be concept cameras.

Concept cameras tend to showcase things that are many years away and unlikely to actually be a production product ever. Like the massive backpack camera Canon showed off almost a decade ago that had a 100 mp plus sensor. Or the camera they used to shoot videos of rare fireflies also a number of years back. They are analogous to the crazy concept vehicles car shows are known for, but which are never going to be actual production models.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011

They do not present something to stockholders unless it is going to happen. Its not PR. As to what it is, Canon has tried numerous new designs over the years, none have stuck. They will keep trying because they perceive that younger buyers want novel solutions. Vlogger cameras, webcams, smartphone add-ons, body worn cameras, dash cams, there are a lot of ways they could go.

Upvote 0

BeenThere

CR Pro
Sep 4, 2012
Eastern Shore
They do not present something to stockholders unless it is going to happen. Its not PR. As to what it is, Canon has tried numerous new designs over the years, none have stuck. They will keep trying because they perceive that younger buyers want novel solutions. Vlogger cameras, webcams, smartphone add-ons, body worn cameras, dash cams, there are a lot of ways they could go.
It’s hard to compete with ubiquitous phone cams and go pros at the bottom end. What does that leave beyond higher end Cine, M, and FF MILC Plus industrial cameras.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I would guess that you may be correct in that they are experimenting with concept cameras that are completely out of the traditional camera mode. I'm just curious what that might be, since it seems surprising they would reference this initiative to stockholders without providing any information about the initiative. I would not expect they would provide any information about the concept cameras themselves, but I would have thought they might explain what this new initiative is.

Upvote 0

" We are positioning ourselves to capture new demand... "

"Furthermore, we will enhance our new concept camera initiative, which gives no regard to traditional camera concepts, as we prepare to launch the new models within this year. "

This being in the quarterly report, I would say, that's what Canon will do - release new concept cameras. I sounds to me that Canon has thrown their old marketing book out the window as they know their traditional camera market is quickly dwindling and they need to find new demand for their existing core products (read imaging). It is reflective that they are pulling out all stops and giving the remaining consumers everything they want in their cameras -no cripple hammer.

Upvote 0
Here is an idea, how about cameras that have the necessary cooling system to match it capabilities and doesn't overheat... How about about that concept Canon!

not an easy thing to do. A fan would add noise, vibration and a lot of bulk and increase power consumption. How do you ventilate the camera while keeping the dust out?

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
not an easy thing to do. A fan would add noise, vibration and a lot of bulk and increase power consumption. How do you ventilate the camera while keeping the dust out?

It can be done, by moving the heat to a plate outside the sealed area, and ventilating that with a fan. Imagine a built-in grip (a la the 1 series) that has fans in it, blowing air along what would otherwise be the bottom of the camera.

But that wouldn't, by itself, solve the noise and vibration issues with a fan.

Upvote 0
Very interesting. I keep coming back to a few different rumours on the note of different concept cameras coming.

That note of another RF mount camera coming this year in addition to adapters for PL indicate a video-focused camera is coming. Part of me wonders if they have a different form factor in mind for that 45MP 8K sensor which blurs the line a bit more between video camera and stills, and enables additional additional cooling.

I guess we'll see more come fall!

Upvote 0
Here is an idea, how about cameras that have the necessary cooling system to match it capabilities and doesn't overheat... How about about that concept Canon!

Sony did it... kind of,... by reducing the capabilities to 12 MP. I guess it is not possible to do it with a weather sealed, ergonomic, 45 MP camera.

Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
You really don't let up do you. Go buy the Sony and enjoy your life! Or do you just like to be angry?

These 5 and 6 product lines have ALWAYS been stills centric cameras first, and so the few compromises were pushed onto video which will suit casual use for most of us just fine. In the real world, it still remains to be seen how bad the problem even is.

Anyone who wants to film long times in high bit rates on full frame for a cheap price is being completely self absorbed and ignoring physics and the fact these companies are business, not a charity or servant to you personally. Again- pony up your cash for the SH1, the A7S3, etc. and you can get exactly what you want, designed just for people like you. What are you filming on today and how can you POSSIBLY get by with what you already have if everything is always wrong?

Do you expect an audio speaker to have good sound and be portable? Do you expect an off-road truck to have good gas mileage? Learn about engineering and market compromises and why products are designed for specific purposes and stop polluting every single discussion with your repetitive complaints. No one cares.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0