The Canon EOS R5 manual is available for download

Regarding the overheat protection for stills, I haven't heard of a single person ever bringing this up while reviewing or shooting with the camera, so I think this is a non-issue.

But I've heard that after doing just photography for some time (with no video before hand) can cause enough heat to reduce the video time to even ZERO seconds.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
But I've heard that after doing just photography for some time (with no video before hand) can cause enough heat to reduce the video time to even ZERO seconds.
Let's be clear, the times that's been mentioned, that's referring to downsampled 4K HQ or 8K recording. It's been made clear even during a lot of the overheat protection, crop/non-HQ 4K and 1080p will be available. I'm not bothered by this at all as I only ever shoot 1080p for the newspapers I work with in the first place.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
Ummm..... This put my stomach in a knot...
See the image. This is directly from the Manual. Still image shooting is effected by HEAT and images will degrade in quality and can stop shooting. This is terrifying... I get it. 8k overheats. But shooting stills..... I really don't know what to think about this...
I had my 5D Mark IV shut down last week due to overheating @ 38C / 100F ambient shade temperature. The camera was on a tripod in full shade, under WiFi control via CamRanger 2, shooting nature pics. In such conditions the camera is working hard, sending a continuous live stream to the remote Mac or iPad. No surprises, no worries. The R5 will perform as well as any other camera in extreme conditions.

Zenaida macroura_Mourning Dove.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
I was reading, much earlier on about L M, S1 and S1 and went looking for their sizes. I first found page 900-901 which told me how many I could fit on a card, but scrolled backwards and found the table.

If you had actually read through the whole thing, then found this, MUCH more power to you.

I skipped over Video and Playback. I basically never use playback, and video infrequently; I'll look at video later.

Read the interesting stuff, skimmed over stuff that wasn't much different than the R.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Regarding the overheat protection for stills, I haven't heard of a single person ever bringing this up while reviewing or shooting with the camera, so I think this is a non-issue. This basically holds true for any camera regarding high temperatures and high ISO, and I think a majority of this is Canon just being proactive due to the 8K creating a lot of heat. I highly doubt this will turn into an actual issue unless you leave your camera in a scolding hot car all week and then pull it out expecting to take 20 second ISO 51,200 photos, and I'll definitely put this to the test in some hot weather this weekend, but I've never encountered this with the EOS R or 1DX mark II even in the hot sun all day.

On the Canon Europe Specs page:

Go down to "File-type," this was also expressed in the other manuals, I don't recall where exactly, but in one of the manuals it was exactly the same as explained here. 12-bit silent shooting, 13-bit in 12 FPS, 14-bit at 8 fps, but still might be useful for my wildlife pics during the day ;-)

awesome and thanks. I think you're correct it does change, but think maybe the values are not correct? Reading the manual it would appear 14 bit is with mechanical which is about 12fps, not 8fps (though I could've missed something). I'm curious as I take band shots in low light so I watch FPS, but yeah with higher ISO I guess you lose dynamic range anyway. But thinking on it.. I do birding and other wildlife.. could matter there.

" JPEG: 2 compression options RAW: RAW, C-RAW 14 bit (14-bit with Mechanical shutter and Electronic 1st Curtain, 13-bit A/D conversion with H+ mode, 12-bit A/D conversion with Electronic shutter, Canon original RAW 3rd edition) HEIF: 10bit HEIF is available in HDR shooting with [HDR PQ] set to [Enable] Complies with Exif 2.31 and Design rule for Camera File system 2.0 Complies with Digital Print Order Format [DPOF] Version 1.1 "

Max. Approx. 12fps. with Mechanical shutter or 20fps with electronic shutter speed maintained for 350 JPEG or 180 RAW images 6

Upvote 0
Let's be clear, the times that's been mentioned, that's referring to downsampled 4K HQ or 8K recording. It's been made clear even during a lot of the overheat protection, crop/non-HQ 4K and 1080p will be available. I'm not bothered by this at all as I only ever shoot 1080p for the newspapers I work with in the first place.

Right, not for 1080 and 4k crop/non crop.

But for 4K30 HQ,
4k 60 Full sensor,
4K 60 Crop,
4k 120,
8K 30 and
8K30
it could be an issue with ZERO seconds of record time allowed due to heat- heat not at all from any video, but all the heat coming from only taking photographs.

But not for you because you only use 1080.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
awesome and thanks. I think you're correct it does change, but think maybe the values are not correct? Reading the manual it would appear 14 bit is with mechanical which is about 12fps, not 8fps (though I could've missed something). I'm curious as I take band shots in low light so I watch FPS, but yeah with higher ISO I guess you lose dynamic range anyway. But thinking on it.. I do birding and other wildlife.. could matter there.

" JPEG: 2 compression options RAW: RAW, C-RAW 14 bit (14-bit with Mechanical shutter and Electronic 1st Curtain, 13-bit A/D conversion with H+ mode, 12-bit A/D conversion with Electronic shutter, Canon original RAW 3rd edition) HEIF: 10bit HEIF is available in HDR shooting with [HDR PQ] set to [Enable] Complies with Exif 2.31 and Design rule for Camera File system 2.0 Complies with Digital Print Order Format [DPOF] Version 1.1 "

Max. Approx. 12fps. with Mechanical shutter or 20fps with electronic shutter speed maintained for 350 JPEG or 180 RAW images 6

H+ mode is where you get 12 FPS, which is what "13-bit A/D conversion with H+ mode," is referring to, whether it's mechanical or Electronic 1st curtain

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Eclipsed

EOS R5, "Hefty Fifty" and more.
Apr 30, 2020
My BH order went from pre-order, to backordered, to now new order today. Confirmed it’s shipping on Thursday.

My battery grip is still backordered though...

i placed my BH order 10 minutes into the release broadcast and it says “processing” which is better than “placed” for the 100-500

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For CFexpress cards.
I got a hold of the Canon engineer team. They said for the highest recording modes (8k RAW) you must have a card that can sustain over 400MB/s minimum write speed. Don't confuse this with Max speed. Only a few brands actually give this information.
That's great information!
Prograde are the only ones that provide sustained/average speeds vs max
Max => average
1000MB/s Gold 512GB-1T => 500MB/s
1400MB/s Cobalt 325GB => 1300MB/s
Cobalt is supported for 5.5k/60 on the 1DXiii but the Gold 512GB/1T are not although they are 500MB/s. Very strange

Upvote 0
I've never pre-ordered and usually buy refurbished. This time I pre-ordered less than 2 minutes after the pre-order was open. I will NOT patiently wait, it's cold in my house and I want my heater NOW. :p

Just kidding, I don't care about this overheating nonsense unless it is way worse than described by all the hype, mostly want the amazing stills!
What time did preordering open?

Upvote 0
Ummm..... This put my stomach in a knot...
See the image. This is directly from the Manual. Still image shooting is effected by HEAT and images will degrade in quality and can stop shooting. This is terrifying... I get it. 8k overheats. But shooting stills..... I really don't know what to think about this...
This might be from continuous 20fps burst and I feel Canon has to address this before some YouTuber slaps a 1TB card in and sees how long they can hold the shutter down in 20fps bust.

I mean...I did it when we got 1Dx3....it’s an insane thing to see.

Upvote 0
For perspective. I shot NASCAR ARCA a few weeks ago for a client. It was a 102 degrees. On black pavement. The 1dx mk ii was burning hot shooting stills and video. The camera body was physically HOT! But that camera does not have a hot warning system. I do believe it has a safety shut off. But I never reached it. I hope this heating thing rarely if ever comes up. Normally canon is amazing at this and is the most reliable brand. I hope this isn't a different direction Cano is taking....
Yeah man, I hear ya. My 60D, 5D4, and R are bulletproof. I never had overheating issues with those cameras....they just worked.

Upvote 0