The Canon EOS R5 manual is available for download

Ummm..... This put my stomach in a knot...
See the image. This is directly from the Manual. Still image shooting is effected by HEAT and images will degrade in quality and can stop shooting. This is terrifying... I get it. 8k overheats. But shooting stills..... I really don't know what to think about this...

What exactly is a High ISO setting? And based on the manual, If I am doing long exposures over a number of hours to do astrophotography, will it eventually be unusuable? Will I even be able to do any video at all (even 1 second) after the long exposure completes, unless I let it could down? (as mentioned by EOSHD as showing ZERO seconds of filming) Or is this "degrade in quality" the same as for all their other camera but only now they are starting to publish it? Will this also be the case for the R6?

Guys, ultimately, very few people are going to be limited by what they can do creatively, or the revenue they can generate professionally, with almost any camera from any manufacturer these days. These are incredible tools across the board. As a hybrid shooter though, the R5 R6 still seems the best option. Hoping mine arrives soon to thoroughly test.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
See the image. This is directly from the Manual. Still image shooting is effected by HEAT and images will degrade in quality and can stop shooting. This is terrifying... I get it. 8k overheats. But shooting stills..... I really don't know what to think about this...

That specific bullet point (image quality degraded by heat, near the bottom of that page) is saying that if the camera is hot, stills will be affected. That's to be expected, a sensor will perform worse when it is hot, particularly for low light. It is NOT saying the sensor will heat up due to stills shooting.

That being said the other bullet points claim the camera will get warmer if doing extended shooting in hot weather. I'm not quite sure what "extended shooting" means in this context. If it means burst after burst after burst with pauses only long enough to clear "busy" messages, I'm personally not concerned by it (you're practically taking an 8K video at that point!), but others might be.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
That specific bullet point (image quality degraded by heat, near the bottom of that page) is saying that if the camera is hot, stills will be affected. That's to be expected, a sensor will perform worse when it is hot, particularly for low light. It is NOT saying the sensor will heat up due to stills shooting.

That being said the other bullet points claim the camera will get warmer if doing extended shooting in hot weather. I'm not quite sure what "extended shooting" means in this context. If it means burst after burst after burst with pauses only long enough to clear "busy" messages, I'm personally not concerned by it (you're practically taking an 8K video at that point!), but others might be.

"It is NOT saying the sensor will heat up due to stills shooting." - oh yes it does! Read it again.

Upvote 0
the Northups mentioned having a issue with it overheating when shooting stills, that was really surprising to me I have never had a camera overheat shooting stills. It would really surprise me that they would release a camera that had that major a heat distribution issue

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

I think they just introduced the heat control for movies and made use of it in stills shooting. I guess it'll become a problem only in extreme conditions or very active prolonged continuous shooting at high speed. Initial reports/reviews don't complain about overheating during stills shooting.

Upvote 0

For perspective. I shot NASCAR ARCA a few weeks ago for a client. It was a 102 degrees. On black pavement. The 1dx mk ii was burning hot shooting stills and video. The camera body was physically HOT! But that camera does not have a hot warning system. I do believe it has a safety shut off. But I never reached it. I hope this heating thing rarely if ever comes up. Normally canon is amazing at this and is the most reliable brand. I hope this isn't a different direction Cano is taking....

Upvote 0

It'll be hard to know how problematic this actually is until we get cameras in hand. It has a heat warning, but it doesn't indicate that the heat warning should will come on frequently, at the drop of a hat. If it's included in there because people might switch from 8k video to shooting stills when the red warning comes on, that makes sense. If it comes on because you've taken 1,000 shots in an hour, that'd be a commercial disaster.

That heat generates image noise is commonly understood. That Canon may warn users that the camera has reached that threshold is a nice feature. One does wonder, though, whether it is included because stills shooting generates more heat than it has in previous cameras.

I suspect this isn't a big deal, but I'm sure we'll know rather shortly.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
Same with usually not pre-ordering and usually buying refurbished... but me not buying the EOS R *is* my act of patiently waiting.
Exactly. This doesn't count as a pre-order for me; this is me finally getting the much improved and (hopefully) perfected version of the EOS R I had been itching for.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017

Unless you're endlessly slamming up against the buffer back to back to back for hours on end in the middle of the Sahara, I don't see this being a problem at all.

If the R5 can do 8K for half an hour or whatever, then I doubt the average person is going to have any issues shooting stills unless their philosophy is to spray and pray until their memory card is full.

Maybe they are referring to taking stills right after you've turned your camera into a pizza oven shooting video.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
For me the most frustrating and even infuriating thing is the lack of GPS. Ok it's available through Bluetooth and a smartphone. Fine. But apparently the CameraConnect app must be active in order to update GPS! That makes it totally useless. I'm not going to keep CameraConnect active all the time during shooting. This makes GPS absolutely unusable.

1595985659339.png

Upvote 0
It'll be hard to know how problematic this actually is until we get cameras in hand. It has a heat warning, but it doesn't indicate that the heat warning should will come on frequently, at the drop of a hat. If it's included in there because people might switch from 8k video to shooting stills when the red warning comes on, that makes sense. If it comes on because you've taken 1,000 shots in an hour, that'd be a commercial disaster.

That heat generates image noise is commonly understood. That Canon may warn users that the camera has reached that threshold is a nice feature. One does wonder, though, whether it is included because stills shooting generates more heat than it has in previous cameras.

I suspect this isn't a big deal, but I'm sure we'll know rather shortly.
I believe your words are true. You practically listed my hopes. I assume it will cause more heat just because its a huge sensor and it's mirrorless. So in general there is going to be more heat. Plus ibis. All is extra heat.

For reference another part in the manual says that the working temperature is 104 degrees at its top end. If I remember the 1dx series is 113f.

So let's hope that if the camera is in 98 degree weather that it doesnt start having issues as soon as you turn it on.

If Canon's past indicates anything we should be just fine.

Upvote 0

Toglife_Anthony

Hit the G.A.S. & pump the brakes at the same time!
Apr 2, 2020

Same exact thing is in the EOS R manual, page 142. I wouldn't lose too much sleep over this. ;-)

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Regarding the overheat protection for stills, I haven't heard of a single person ever bringing this up while reviewing or shooting with the camera, so I think this is a non-issue. This basically holds true for any camera regarding high temperatures and high ISO, and I think a majority of this is Canon just being proactive due to the 8K creating a lot of heat. I highly doubt this will turn into an actual issue unless you leave your camera in a scolding hot car all week and then pull it out expecting to take 20 second ISO 51,200 photos, and I'll definitely put this to the test in some hot weather this weekend, but I've never encountered this with the EOS R or 1DX mark II even in the hot sun all day.

this is the first time I've heard of the bits changing.. is this accurate? do you have a source for this info? (not challenging, but genuinely curious)
On the Canon Europe Specs page:

Go down to "File-type," this was also expressed in the other manuals, I don't recall where exactly, but in one of the manuals it was exactly the same as explained here. 12-bit silent shooting, 13-bit in 12 FPS, 14-bit at 8 fps.

Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
I think I found a minor typo in the manual, on page 899 the aspect ratio column headers don't match the given pixel counts. The column labeled 4:3 gives the square (1:1) ratio numbers; the 16:9-labeled column seems to give the 4:3 numbers, and the 1:1-labeled column appears to be for 16:9.

I was about to report the same thing, but you beat me to it. And here I thought it was a unique find after weeding thru 899 pages.

Upvote 0
I was about to report the same thing, but you beat me to it. And here I thought it was a unique find after weeding thru 899 pages.

Funny enough, it was the first thing I noticed too when opened the manual. I just casually scrolled down, stopped on this page and found inconsistency. I think Canon must do a documentation recall and send the new paper manuals. :)

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019

I was reading, much earlier on about L M, S1 and S1 and went looking for their sizes. I first found page 900-901 which told me how many I could fit on a card, but scrolled backwards and found the table.

If you had actually read through the whole thing, then found this, MUCH more power to you.

I skipped over Video and Playback. I basically never use playback, and video infrequently; I'll look at video later.

Upvote 0