What’s next for the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6?

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
There has obviously been more talk about how quickly the Canon EOS R6 and Canon EOS R5 overheat when recording video, especially when shooting 8K or 4K60p (along with other framerates). The second issue a lot of videographers have is how long the cameras need to cool down once they reach an overheating threshold.
So is Canon going to do anything about it?
I think so, and I’ve been talking to a few sources and reading between the lines a bit. Canon released its first statement about the heat concerns back on July 16 and has been relatively silent since.
I have been told that Canon is actively working on solutions to increase record times and reduce cooldown times. What those solutions are is...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Or they can go the sony way by changing this line in the firmware:

#DEFINE shutdown_temp 85
into
#DEFINE shutdown_temp 105

Jokes aside this is the way sony addressed overheating complaints in the past:

"One of the major improvement has been seen on the A6300. With the new firmware it takes more than double the time before it overheats in comparison to the older firmware."

"Sony has now fixed the problem with firmware version 1.01 for the Sony Alpha A9. In the change log it simply says 'This utility updates the camera firmware to version 1.01 and improves the overheating warning functionality."

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2014
There was a test in youtube that shows A7s3 overheating faster than R5! :) Now this is only fun to shut up Sony boys. I am getting my R5 tomorrow so I will be able to test it and to see if overheating is a big issue. However if Gerald Undone is correct, my problems are solved with the Atomos. At least for 4k60..for 4k120 no but I guess I wont make 17 minutes of slow motion in 1 day....Canon could somehow decrease a bit the bitrate without losing quality and try to increase record times...Or finding some firmware update to improve it. If they could manage to change record times to 1 hour 4kHQ and 30+ minutes 4k120 that would help a lot!

Another thing they could do is to find a way to release the possibility of recording 4k20fps externally.

Other options the adapter to attach between camera and lens would be well received if it can manage to cool down a lot faster the camera. But....in that solution Canon should offer the adapter or price it in a really low price because we would need 2 adapters..rf to rf and rf to ef.

I hope they can improve in a firmware update, I am expecting this camera for 3 years and now that I am going to have it, I dont want to let it go not even for 1 week!! :D :D :D

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0