Canon EOS R

What’s next for the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6?

This site contains affiliate links to products and services. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.

There has obviously been more talk about how quickly the Canon EOS R6 and Canon EOS R5 overheat when recording video, especially when shooting 8K or 4K60p (along with other framerates). The second issue a lot of videographers have is how long the cameras need to cool down once they reach an overheating threshold.

So is Canon going to do anything about it?

I think so, and I’ve been talking to a few sources and reading between the lines a bit. Canon released its first statement about the heat concerns back on July 16 and has been relatively silent since.

I have been told that Canon is actively working on solutions to increase record times and reduce cooldown times. What those solutions are is unknown at this point. I imagine part of it is firmware, but are they also looking at a hardware fix?

I have no been told a couple of times that the 2nd allocation of camera bodies will be delayed. Adorama told me it was going to be a significant delay, but that they didn’t know why or how long the delay would be.

A reader I was chatting with on the Canon Rumors discord server was having an unrelated issue with the EOS R5 and was sent this by the Canon Store support.

“The R5 was sold out within hours after launch. The next shipment is expected this November

rfstock01 - What's next for the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6?

I’m waiting for further follow-up on the statement above and I’ll update this post once I have it.

A four-month delay between the first and second allocation of a new camera body would be unheard of. There could obviously be a parts factor due to COVID-19, but I would like to think that would have been planned for better and that they could have delayed the shipping of the first batch of cameras until September or so.

An anonymous communication yesterday let me know that “Canon is working on multiple solutions and will have a full statement and plan in the coming weeks.”

New firmware is definitely coming, but will there be a hardware solution/recall too? It’s starting to feel that way. But let’s wait and see what Canon has to say about the issue and get further confirmation about the second allocation being delayed until November.

Please remember that this is third party information, so treat it accordingly.