What’s next for the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6?

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Really? You're going to go with another overheating camera, one where the manufacturer isn't in the least up front and willing to own the issue?
What issue. I dont plan to shoot 4k 120 or 8k. Until the R5 gets rid of the stupid 30 minute limit and enable dual slot recording like the cinema cameras. I cant use it for serious work if other options exist. Also the sony dr and low light is superior since canon wont give it c log 3 unless we beg them for it. at this point the sony is massively more convenient and I will feel more comfortable to use them in a work environment. We will see what happens.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
What issue. I dont plan to shoot 4k 120 or 8k. Until the R5 gets rid of the stupid 30 minute limit and enable dual slot recording like the cinema cameras. I cant use it for serious work if other options exist. Also the sony dr and low light is superior since canon wont give it c log 3 unless we beg them for it. at this point the sony is massively more convenient and I will feel more comfortable to use them in a work environment. We will see what happens.

Ah, OK...totally different issues!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Maybe you don't pay attention to them, which is commendable, but Canon shouldn't ignore the fact that many people DO listen to them.

I get that. People are enamored with short attention span videos and take what the people say as gospel.

Take the 8K situation - somehow it became the headlining feature of this camera. Why? IMO because the influencers grabbed it like a dog with a bone and hyped expectations without knowing anything about what the production specs would reveal. By the time the camera got here it didn't matter anymore - it was destined to fall short because anything short of a full cinema camera would.

The way people talk about these Youtubers is like they are their long lost relatives or someone who has no business pressure to say one thing or the other.

It's ridiculous and more than a little sad..

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
I may be wrong but I believe in one of the menus you can untick things to display.
When I say overhype, I was reference more that was their lead in on the R5. They NEVER sated any capability and to your comment most people did not believe the spec. The problem is that the issues was totally blown ourt of proportion by the reviewers. We seem to have a culture that is more interested in finding flaws that recognizing IBIS (which can you have spotlighted more), Animal / People AF, etc. I am not sure it would have made a difference in the long run, but a lot of folks want controversy that will generate more clicks, likes and even negative reaction. I have had a very realistic view since learning about the 8k and my expectation was 3-5 minute clips at most.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Did they *over* hype it though? I've mentioned this on a couple of previous threads but does nobody remember the reaction to the rumour of 8K back in early 2020? Nobody seemed to believe it would be proper 8K for more than a very short time - some said it would be a timelapse, others that it would be a few seconds long etc. Twenty minutes of 8K is still far more than any other comparable camera can do. Honestly the change in perspctive on this is mind boggling! (Not aiming this at you, but the general mood on this forum).

No, you're right. Canon didn't hype it, idiots on Youtube etc did.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Just got off the phone with B&H and MY R5 body is shipping today or Monday at the latest! Woo Hoo! They have hit my PayBoo account with the cost of the body, which confirms that my R5 Body is somewhere in the shipping department (please don't drop it)! I ordered my R5 at about 5 AM on 7/9/20 PST when the Pre-Order first went up and so I got in on the first shipment. My Frenchie and I will probably be eating dog food for a while but at least I'll be able to take pictures!

According to the salesperson, there is no truth to the rumor that Canon has recalled the R5 to fix overheating issues and they are out of stock because the number of orders has exceeded the supply. Using the B&H PayBoo card saved me over $500 in sales tax! That's not to say that Canon won't address this issue but hopefully can use a firmware upgrade to lessen the problem.

I just got off the phone with B&H and I'm doomed.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I get that. People are enamored with short attention span videos and take what the people say as gospel.

Take the 8K situation - somehow it became the headlining feature of this camera. Why? IMO because the influencers grabbed it like a dog with a bone and hyped expectations without knowing anything about what the production specs would reveal. By the time the camera got here it didn't matter anymore - it was destined to fall short because anything short of a full cinema camera would.

The way people talk about these Youtubers is like they are their long lost relatives or someone who has no business pressure to say one thing or the other.

Amen.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
According to the salesperson, there is no truth to the rumor that Canon has recalled the R5 to fix overheating issues and they are out of stock because the number of orders has exceeded the supply. Using the B&H PayBoo card saved me over $500 in sales tax! That's not to say that Canon won't address this issue but hopefully can use a firmware upgrade to lessen the problem.

Clearly, there is no recall, yet. That would be public information.

Canon will likely address the issue through CPS or otherwise. Note however that the evidence points towards an inadequate thermal interface between the overheating component (likely DIGIC X processor) and heatsink (body) since the body seems to stay "cool" while the camera overheats internally.
This can be due to manufacturing or design and requires likely a (modest effort) HW fix. Firmware can improve ("generate less heat" or "allow higher temperatures"). However, software cannot really solve the above.

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
Thanks for pointing that out. If this isn’t the death knell for phasing out EF lenses, I don’t know what is.
That 400 2.8 IS vII...sorry 70-200 2.8 vII...out of luck...A lot of people with EF lenses are going to be like WTF?

I saw another list, on this forum, that did include the 70-200 2.8 II. This would be a very expensive RF "repurchase" if it needs to be replaced. Hoping some in-depth reviewers with both lenses can compare.

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018

Yes. However, Canon marketing also led with 8K as unique distinguishing features as opposed to market leading AF, market leading 8 stop IBIS, 45MP@12fps etc.
Youtubers and independent reviewers need to find a "news" to be relevant and an underperforming headline grabbing feature is perfect for that..

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Tony hit all the points, great analysis. Managing Electronic shutter, and Electronic first Curtain (EFCS) are a pain on the Sony's too. There's no way to manage them properly, unless you're constantly menu diving. FUJI have a very elegant way to manage the shutter, I wish the others would copy it.

thanks and thought he did a decent enough job, but he kept flashing the 20 FPS for Electronic shutter and knew there were options ... I think you're saying it doesn't matter which of the electronic shutter settings, it's likely to get banding either way.

found what had triggered my question.. I'd seen it in this video at 12min mark approx
... 3 options for shutter. Mechanical, Electronic and Electronic 1st curtain. I knew the 20 FPS (The one Tony spoke about) would be fast and have compromises.. but thought maybe the other acted more like mechanical due to the slower FPS.

Upvote 0
Mar 4, 2020
For stills, I cannot figure out how to get the focus point to move when I move the joystick without first pressing the focus spot button. Time to read the manual.

Under Customize Buttons (Camera Settings icon, tab 3), you can set the multidirection joystick to "Direct AF Point Selection"

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0