Canon R5 + pyrometer = overheating is solved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The actual temperature of the outside of the camera that a pyrometer would measure is irrelevant if the camera has decided for itself that it has overheated and it will not allow recording to continue.
He has clearly written that it is to measure the temperature inside with the lens having been removed and the shutter open.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
He has clearly written that it is to measure the temperature inside with the lens having been removed and the shutter open.
Ok, inside or outside, still seems irrelevant to me. If the camera has decided it's overheated, recording will stop.

We are now almost four years after the release of the 5D Mark IV, and there still has not been a build of Magic Lantern released for it. The new cameras are clearly not that easy to hack.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Was there a hack? Maybe allowed leak as a test, technology run-in. If so, it could be the new "hack"... why? to overcome agreements in collusion of monopolists for competitive struggle maybe?
Some like to play with the cameras and find out if there are hidden inactive options, or even modify the firmware to add more capabilities to the camera. Its a lot of trial and error. This has been done with older Canon camera models, but with some, it is more difficult. Its mostly a matter of volunteers finding the time to spend working on solving how to do it. It does not break Canon agreements, it does not actually modify the camera or upload new firmware, but adds new software that is located on your memory card. There is a hidden command in Canon firmware that causes the camera to look at the firmware when it is starting. That can be turned on and off.

The term "Hack" does not quite apply in this case.

There is a public web page here, its not nefarious.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
ofc.. its just hidden inactive options nothing else... it just gives you internal RAW video record since 2008 but its ok, "its not nefarious"
It makes use of capabilities that Canon did not put in the camera. In some cases, new software has been added, focus bracketing, for example. Its not nefarious because it causes no harm to the camera or user, and is not malware. Its just user developed add-ons. Some of the ones like raw video are mostly useful as learning tools to play with, it does not make it into a video production camera. The video may be worse.

Personally, I've never used it, but I do keep up with what they are doing. I would like focus bracketing, but not enough to install Magic Lantern.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
What about that time they locked up peoples' cameras as an April Fool's prank?

That's interesting. Didn't know about that. It is not actually locked up, though. It seems to be a poor joke, checking the camera's date. It has been removed in March 2017.

Magic Lantern is subject to a lot of changes made by different people. And there is a fork which does indeed modify settings in the camera (Which goes against the ML policies, hence the own project fork). Still, ML just gives you access to options and implements a good amount of functionality in top of that. It is clearly a solution for people not adverse to tinkering. I would not consider it nefarious at all.

But I'm pretty sure it is a thing of the past anyway. It certainly won't come to the R5. Earlier Digic iterations already proved to add too much complexity, I would think Digic X is another leap in that regard.

As for the topic: I don't think the sensor is the component responsible for the heat. But I agree it would be interesting to see some measurements comparing the temperature of the back, bottom and sensor, just to see how evenly it is dissipated.

Upvote 0
well, as i said, fake overheating.. waiting for ML or official firmware removing it

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
well, as i said, fake overheating.. waiting for ML or official firmware removing it
Wow, that is interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
as we may see numerous videos, LV still works with the R5 been overheated, means the shutter is open

no need to buy cheap tools when you are the "top youtuber" the question is: why no one is measured the temperature

Here is a Video of somebody who did exactly that:

The Video is in German language but you can watch it with autotranslated subtitles.

His conclusion: The whole remaining recording time stuff is controlled by a timer.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.