Rumored RF mount Cinema camera specifications [CR2]

Twinix

C100 III + R6?
May 6, 2020
Norway
Interesting. Hopefully it will have good ergonomics, and personally I prefer the BPA-batteries so I can get them with D-tap and power lights and monitor from that, plus LiveU etc. Also not a fan of Mini XLR. That beeing said, its not a dealbreaker and as long as it has 10bit 4k 50p I’m happy. Of course without overheating, and hopefully the R6 doesn’t do that for me when I get to test it, for my usage (Hybrid, both photos and longer video takes).
Right now I have the XA50, and it works great and how I want it to, but I definitely want to step up as my road continues. When I bought it it was from the standpoint of Canon vs Panasonic vs Sony and the cinema lineup + b-cam, and I like Canons lineup the most. Sony is definitely doing good now for me, with the A7s iii having good menus, autofocus, colors (apparently vs before), grip and XLR module. If they get a FX6 or similar to the Fs5 with the same improvements as the A7s ii had to the A7s iii, they’re definitely really head on to Canon for me. So can’t wait to see more from Canon, but as of now, I’m not “locked” in to Canon as I only have one camera from them. A B-cam is next for me, and I’m not going to replace the XA50 with a Sont equivalent, anyways it would need to have good AF.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2014
Interesting. Hopefully it will have good ergonomics, and personally I prefer the BPA-batteries so I can get them with D-tap and power lights and monitor from that, plus LiveU etc. Also not a fan of Mini XLR. That beeing said, its not a dealbreaker and as long as it has 10bit 4k 50p I’m happy. Of course without overheating, and hopefully the R6 doesn’t do that for me when I get to test it, for my usage (Hybrid, both photos and longer video takes).
Right now I have the XA50, and it works great and how I want it to, but I definitely want to step up as my road continues. When I bought it it was from the standpoint of Canon vs Panasonic vs Sony and the cinema lineup + b-cam, and I like Canons lineup the most. Sony is definitely doing good now for me, with the A7s iii having good menus, autofocus, colors (apparently vs before), grip and XLR module. If they get a FX6 or similar to the Fs5 with the same improvements as the A7s ii had to the A7s iii, they’re definitely really head on to Canon for me. So can’t wait to see more from Canon, but as of now, I’m not “locked” in to Canon as I only have one camera from them. A B-cam is next for me, and I’m not going to replace the XA50 with a Sont equivalent, anyways it would need to have good AF.
I would also prefer xlr ovre mini-xlr, but also not a dealbreak to me. I wonder if the external output will be over SDI or HDMI but I guess it will be SDI. If it was HDMI would be fantastic because we could use a smaller external recorder like the Ninja V, otherwise we are stuck with the Shogun Inferno and shogun 7

Upvote 0

Twinix

C100 III + R6?
May 6, 2020
Norway
I would also prefer xlr ovre mini-xlr, but also not a dealbreak to me. I wonder if the external output will be over SDI or HDMI but I guess it will be SDI. If it was HDMI would be fantastic because we could use a smaller external recorder like the Ninja V, otherwise we are stuck with the Shogun Inferno and shogun 7
Hopefully we can get both HDMI and SDI, and if its mini XLR, a full size XLR hot-shoe module (like Sony or Panasonic, or for the Xc15) would be great, or if it is in a handle camcorder style. Hopefully the screen will be in a good position for handheld operation etc.

Upvote 0
Hi everyone! New here, 0 Canon gear at the moment. Felt the need to post because me and many of my colleagues are seemingly underrepresented here.

Am waiting for almost 2 years already for Canon to make the RF switch possible! But I get the feeling :this camera is not it" again ...

What I need is (and these are all possible things):
- full frame (for lens resolution, wide angle, versatility and low light)
- sensor stabilization (to remove micro-jitter from holding a lightweight camera)
- good quality 4K video with preferably high frame rates
- ability to take photos (not to swap lenses to a different body and re-compose)

This upcoming camera does only one of those things. R5 would be perfect if it had predictable overheating and recovery while filming in regular modes. I can live with line-skipped 4K for most of the time having the 20-30 minutes of 120fps for b-roll and oversampled 4K for detailed scenes. But as is – you can end up having 0 minutes of those modes and camera won't recover unless it's turned off for over an hour. The other issue is no timeline for C-log 3, with the regular C-log limiting the dynamic range.

It's easy to tell me to go buy some other brand (because other brands do all those things), but the only way for Canon to get my 5000-10000€ for cameras and 13000-15000€ for lenses in the next 2 years is to make an R5 that doesn't overheat or for this cinema camera to be full frame with stabilization, which it won't be if it has C200 sensor.

I sincerely congratulate everyone who got the R5 and am happy that it fulfills your requirements, I just wish there were more people Canon RF cameras were satisfying for.

• Haha
Upvote 0

BeenThere

CR Pro
Sep 4, 2012
Eastern Shore
Hi everyone! New here, 0 Canon gear at the moment. Felt the need to post because me and many of my colleagues are seemingly underrepresented here.

Am waiting for almost 2 years already for Canon to make the RF switch possible! But I get the feeling :this camera is not it" again ...

What I need is (and these are all possible things):
- full frame (for lens resolution, wide angle, versatility and low light)
- sensor stabilization (to remove micro-jitter from holding a lightweight camera)
- good quality 4K video with preferably high frame rates
- ability to take photos (not to swap lenses to a different body and re-compose)

This upcoming camera does only one of those things. R5 would be perfect if it had predictable overheating and recovery while filming in regular modes. I can live with line-skipped 4K for most of the time having the 20-30 minutes of 120fps for b-roll and oversampled 4K for detailed scenes. But as is – you can end up having 0 minutes of those modes and camera won't recover unless it's turned off for over an hour. The other issue is no timeline for C-log 3, with the regular C-log limiting the dynamic range.

It's easy to tell me to go buy some other brand (because other brands do all those things), but the only way for Canon to get my 5000-10000€ for cameras and 13000-15000€ for lenses in the next 2 years is to make an R5 that doesn't overheat or for this cinema camera to be full frame with stabilization, which it won't be if it has C200 sensor.

I sincerely congratulate everyone who got the R5 and am happy that it fulfills your requirements, I just wish there were more people Canon RF cameras were satisfying for.
I’m just happy that Canon went the route that they did so that I was able to get an afordable, small, weather sealed, IBIS enabled, state of the art AF, 45 Mpixel stills shooting Camera. Oh, and as a bonus I get awesome video clips occasionally. Don’t get me started on how great the Canon lens selections are for this Camera, both my existing collection and new class leading lenses being released at a fast pace. Just can’t please everybody I guess.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
If it is going to be R5C then it should shoot still IMO just like 1DC did back then. But if it's the same sensor as C200 then it won't shoot stills. I hope it won't be a xc15 body. I prefer R5C with all features that R5 has and a built-in fan to anticipate heat and provide unlimited recordings. I find it difficult to be done to be honest. If it's going to be a C100 Mark III from the other hand the LP-E6NH batteries are not enough for sure. SDI also is a must! I think we are going to see a new design body that will get into Cinema line. Pretty sure that it will be step-up from C200 regarding image quality.

Upvote 0
This will target an entirely different demographic of shooters and has a much lower cost of entry as well.
Where do you get on a list?

Yes, the email list is not really a pre-order per se, but a list the president of RED opened up for people who wanted a special colored edition before the camera officially gets announced. You literally email the president and he puts you on the list. But the list closed at the beginning of July. RED does special color releases for launch products frequently.

i'm on the list for a stormtrooper, and received my r5 on saturday. I don't konw how i'm going to explain this extra one to my wife. i haven't even told her i'm gonna buy the ST yet either....

had to sorta-sign-up a while ago, no idea what the requirements were but was surprised i was slotted one. i think the list is closed since a coupel weeks ago, so now have to wait for the production model. but given alto of people are still waiting fo teh ST gonna guess its not until later this year. probably this RF camera will come along long before.

Just got my second email for payment arrangements this morning. I replied just a half day after they opened up the list and I was already in the hundreds down the list. There is a lot to like with this camera. It has a 2lbs shooting weight, RF mount, GS, 6K up to 48fps in 2.4:1, C-PDAF and obviously R3DCODE. This is my 3rd RED cam and it is the only one so far that doesn't need 10k in accessories just to mount a battery, a lens and actually have any monitoring. The menus are also much simpler to operate than a DSMC2 and you don't need to pay 200 for a foolcontrol app as it has a free full featured app for focus operation and even remote monitoring.

This will target an entirely different demographic of shooter and also has a much lower cost of entry

Upvote 0

wanderer23

CR Pro
Feb 8, 2020
This will target an entirely different demographic of shooters and has a much lower cost of entry as well.

Yes, the email list is not really a pre-order per se, but a list the president of RED opened up for people who wanted a special colored edition before the camera officially gets announced. You literally email the president and he puts you on the list. But the list closed at the beginning of July. RED does special color releases for launch products frequently.

Just got my second email for payment arrangements this morning. I replied just a half day after they opened up the list and I was already in the hundreds down the list. There is a lot to like with this camera. It has a 2lbs shooting weight, RF mount, GS, 6K up to 48fps in 2.4:1, C-PDAF and obviously R3DCODE. This is my 3rd RED cam and it is the only one so far that doesn't need 10k in accessories just to mount a battery, a lens and actually have any monitoring. The menus are also much simpler to operate than a DSMC2 and you don't need to pay 200 for a foolcontrol app as it has a free full featured app for focus operation and even remote monitoring.

This will target an entirely different demographic of shooter and also has a much lower cost of entry

Oh yes, this is definitely a completely different camera than a hybrid. The R5 replaced my a7riv and the komodo will replace my p6k. Now i'm fully aligned into one mount (mostly EF, though some RF for the R5)

Upvote 0
Well, I'm a predominantly still photog, with no real interest in video, but as this is a new product, I'm going to pre-order it - if it then turns out to not be fully weather sealed and just the right tool for taking still photos the way I want to, I'm then going to moan and bitch incessantly and threaten to take my custom elsewhere - as well as telling anyone who thinks it is ideal for their purposes, or that I should instead buy a still camera, that they are obviously not a professional !!

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

filmmakerken

EOS R, EOS 10, FTb
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2020
Virginia
www.cinefoundry.com
This move makes no sense to me. As I've stated before, the current line of RF lenses are not particularly good video lenses so there's no advantage to introducing a RF mount video camera unless it offers features not found on the EF mount cameras.

Super 35 sensor -- bad idea. the advantage of RF is superior full frame capabilities.
4K -- with the R5 shooting 8K and the BlackMagic shooting 6K this resolution is not compelling.

Of course, I don't have the benefit of knowing Canon's long term strategy.

Upvote 0

filmmakerken

EOS R, EOS 10, FTb
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2020
Virginia
www.cinefoundry.com
Can I ask what the use case was for 8K?
For filmmakers the more resolution the better. We've always advocated over sampling so we can more accurately color grade and manipulate footage for SFX. One cannot just think about current delivery methods (that max out at 4K) but also where we might be in 10, 20 50, or 100 years. (HBOMax has Eisenstein's 1925 film "Battleship Potemkin" in its library).

Upvote 0

wanderer23

CR Pro
Feb 8, 2020
This move makes no sense to me. As I've stated before, the current line of RF lenses are not particularly good video lenses so there's no advantage to introducing a RF mount video camera unless it offers features not found on the EF mount cameras.

Super 35 sensor -- bad idea. the advantage of RF is superior full frame capabilities.
4K -- with the R5 shooting 8K and the BlackMagic shooting 6K this resolution is not compelling.

Of course, I don't have the benefit of knowing Canon's long term strategy.

With a dedicated booster and also internal ND if they can keep the form factor down i think there's still a big draw. Alot of people still have alot of EF lenses around (I own about 6 EF lenses and never had a canon camera for 15 years until i got teh R5). But i agree w/ you to an extent, but i guess they realize they're quickly encroaching on the c300/500 already.... Think they're trying to target the p6k and zcam crowd.

Upvote 0