Rumored RF mount Cinema camera specifications [CR2]

I was not so interested in video until recently. I had some RF glass for my EOS R and I absolutely love my R5 for photography. I would now be interested in an RF mount cine camera. I think if the price is right and there are no compromises then maybe serious wedding photographers would carry an R5 and the C200? I need to sell some stuff before I can buy anything else though. The 100-500 put me over my budget for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
This move makes no sense to me. As I've stated before, the current line of RF lenses are not particularly good video lenses so there's no advantage to introducing a RF mount video camera unless it offers features not found on the EF mount cameras.

Super 35 sensor -- bad idea. the advantage of RF is superior full frame capabilities.
4K -- with the R5 shooting 8K and the BlackMagic shooting 6K this resolution is not compelling.

Of course, I don't have the benefit of knowing Canon's long term strategy.
Not sure which ones lens you’re shooting with, but my RF 28-70 and RF 70-200 is insanely good for video.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
My guess is it's the same as my complaint I have, but I would not call them "not good" video lenses. I would just prefer EF. The issue is FBW or Focus By Wire. You do NOT have true mechanical manual control over the focus ring. Which kinda sucks for filming because sometimes you really want/need manual focus pulls.
If that is the case then perhaps manual focus lenses will give you even greater control.

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
Video cropping. Downconvert for higher 4K quality. You know, the usual things higher resolutions are used for. 4K TVs have been out for some time, and 8k is beginning to arrive. While I think 8k, and to an extent, 4K tv is BS, people are buying them. Businesses are buying them in very large sizes.

it took 20 years for 2k to become established, it’s taking 4K much less time. We’ll see 8k in the cinema in another couple of years, if what I’m being told is correct. Black magic has just come out with 12k for $10,000.
2k isnt quite yet there ,you need 100'' tv to see all resolution 3meter away. There wont be affordable 100'' tv s

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
With RF lenses you can select "linear" focus control when in is in manual mode. While it is still FBW the lens responds to hand (or motorized focus controller) input as precisely and smoothly as mechanical focus lenses.
I saw that on the R5. But i’ll have to go find that on the R

Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
Because RF support isn't there yet

Honestly, the beauty of it is NOT using RF lenses, but going with lenses that have longer/deeper flange depths like EF and PL, so that you can use adapters, like the Kippertie or even the Canon, to essentially have "built-in" ND since the Komodo lacks it internally.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
If that is the case then perhaps manual focus lenses will give you even greater control.
Well that’s why I prefer EF for now. I just got the Rf24-70. Now on the R5 there seems to be a menu switch that allows linear focus control that creates a more tradition pull on RF FBW glass... I have to go see if it on the R

Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
I'd prefer a camera that has HDMI and timecode than a camera that has HDMI and SDI ports. I can work around the HDMI by using a crossconverter, but I can't work around the benefits of having a proper timecode terminal.

Or they could do it right and do SDI AND TC and lose the HDMI altogether.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 384473

Honestly, the beauty of it is NOT using RF lenses, but going with lenses that have longer/deeper flange depths like EF and PL, so that you can use adapters, like the Kippertie or even the Canon, to essentially have "built-in" ND since the Komodo lacks it internally.
That’s actually a fantastic point. I really wish I had one with the beta firmware to play with...

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
With RF lenses you can select "linear" focus control when in is in manual mode. While it is still FBW the lens responds to hand (or motorized focus controller) input as precisely and smoothly as mechanical focus lenses.
Nope. This is NOT available on the R. Which by extension means neither the RP. That’s a firmware fix that needs to happen ASAP.

Upvote 0

wanderer23

CR Pro
Feb 8, 2020
Well that’s why I prefer EF for now. I just got the Rf24-70. Now on the R5 there seems to be a menu switch that allows linear focus control that creates a more tradition pull on RF FBW glass... I have to go see if it on the R

Other cameras have this too, like the s1h for native lenses. it's not the same still, though yes better than not having such a function. I feel for the casual shooters on the R5 they'll just use AF anyway, so then RF lenses are more than good enough if extra sharp video is your preference (there's also promist filters).

Upvote 0

wanderer23

CR Pro
Feb 8, 2020

+1. i don't think any komodo purchasers really plan to use RF lenses at any point. I certainly wont be....

on a side note really impressed this upcoming RF cine cam will be msall and have internal ND, curious to see how they do it. Myabe w/ a FF/VV sensor it wont e possible, but on a s35...

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Or they could do it right and do SDI AND TC and lose the HDMI altogether.
No they wont drop the HDMI. No way. Too many recorders out there dont have SDI. A Ninja would NOT work with this. You’s have to buy a Shogun 7. It will either have HDMI with SDI. Or HDMI alone.

Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
Could you please educate me on how SDI is better than HDMI? Sincere question.

Industry standard connection that has been around for decades, LOCKING connection, cables are reliable, robust, inexpensive and simple.

I can count on one hand with fingers left over how many BNC cables I've had go bad on me in the 2+ decades I've been doing this. I've had HDMI cables on my TV's/AVR's, etc. at home that are never touched go bad just sitting there.

Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
2k isnt quite yet there ,you need 100'' tv to see all resolution 3meter away. There wont be affordable 100'' tv s

2K is 1080... Just a few more lines horizontally.

Define "TV" and define "affordable". Right before Thanksgiving last year, all-in, I spent $6500-$6600 on a 4K UST projector and 120" UST screen(looks like an absurdly large flat panel hanging on my wall). And there are way less expensive projectors out there than what I bought, so you can easily get into the 100"-120" game now for $3600 to $4100. Possibly less.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
2K is 1080... Just a few more lines horizontally.

Define "TV" and define "affordable". Right before Thanksgiving last year, all-in, I spent $6500-$6600 on a 4K UST projector and 120" UST screen(looks like an absurdly large flat panel hanging on my wall). And there are way less expensive projectors out there than what I bought, so you can easily get into the 100"-120" game now for $3600 to $4100. Possibly less.
Ok i guess i am just poor then :LOL:

Upvote 0
It's off topic: but the R5 does not overheat in normal 4k. Even if you make it overheat in the other modes such a 8K and 8K downsampled to 4K, it will still allow normal 4K/30 and picture taking without cooling down at all.

True, but doesn't work the other way around – the exact issue (= if you have to start with filming line-skipped 4K – you might end up having less / no time in slow-motion. Something that needs testing to figure out if it works. There are reports of all heat sensitive modes being disabled after simply taking photos.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
That's exactly the issue with the C700. You can't record 4K 4:4:4 UNLESS you use the Codex, which grants you that.
Again, there is no 4K 4:4:4 information on the C700 sensor. The sensor does not have such color resolution.

You can fake it like Alexa Mini fakes 4K, but can't you do it in post-processing as well?

Upvote 0