R5 Timelapse Interval Timer Not Working

Aug 27, 2019
I reset the camera and tried again. No luck.
Oh man, that is nuts.

I am convinced it has to be a bug in the Camera and not something wrong with the hardware.

Besides lens there are only 3 variables that we as user can change. Settings(you reset so strike that) Battery, and Media.

I see your battery is low so please excuse the stupid question if you have already tried this - Have you tried another battery?
What brand cards are you using? Have you tried just Cfexpress or just SD?

Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
It really does not make sense that you cannot turn off the screen and viewfinder for things like timelapse, or any other use for that matter.

I think you need to suggest it directly to Canon if they ever get their websites back up.
My thoughts exactly.

I actually went to try and found them down. Still waiting. Wouldn't mind others reporting it too, only one request might not make them care slough to fix it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
Thanks again for your efforts trying to help me. I'll post when I hear back from Canon or find a solution.

Have you tried setting release shutter without lens to on in orange tab 4?

If there was an adapter problem or lens pin issue, maybe this would bypass it as it does for a manual lens. It could point to an adapter or lens communication issue. I'm having trouble thinking it could be the Digic or its firmware since more of us should see the issue if firmware, and usually a processor that glitches has a major issue not just one weird behavior. Firmware loads use checksums and so it is not likely corrupted either. So weird! I hope you can get support soon.

Upvote 0
I called Canon. They said that they have had other people call about this interval timer problem. They have no solution as yet. They took my email and will contact me when they know more. They said to register the camera to get automatic notification of any updates, etc. But of course their website is down so I can't register it.

Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
I called Canon. They said that they have had other people call about this interval timer problem. They have no solution as yet. They took my email and will contact me when they know more. They said to register the camera to get automatic notification of any updates, etc. But of course their website is down so I can't register it.
I've emailed support about hot pixels at long shutter and high ISO that cannot be removed with manual sensor cleaning remap as per previous cameras (so far they show on screen and EVF but NR seems to remove from photos automatically). Anyone else have stuck pixels (red, blue, green) or hot pixels when they crank the ISO and open the aperture, or use slow shutter speeds (or all three)? These are on the sensor and appear on both EVF and screen on my R5

I did mention the lack of blackout on EVF and screen as an annoyance for timelapse shooters and waste of power for everyone but forgot to mention this too.

Either way, it seems their site is up and they were very fast to respond and seemed to indicate a repair option may be available if I was not satisfied with high ISO NR (obviously us timelapse shooters cannot use long exposure NR).

Perhaps a few more can email about these concerns? Would love to get a screen+EVF off blackout mode for interval shooting to save power and avoid lights in the dark. Also wonder if they may suggest you send your unit in to more quickly replicate the interval timer issue (I'd hope they would exchange it so you are not without).

Upvote 0
If I map AF back to the shutter button, the interval timer works. But why should I have to do this, then unmap it to get back to back button autofocus? The interval timer should work as it does on the 5D IV. This seems like an easy firmware fix. I'll see if their upcoming firmware fix solves this problem.

I haven't checked for hot pixels.

• Love
Upvote 0