R1 Camera

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
How many 1 series cameras do you currently own?

None, no need for one, no desire for one, and never could see spending the money for one. I'm not a pro, I don't need what the 1 series offers and I prefer more megapixels when I start to crop.

I have owned a "performance" 20MP camera - the 7D2. Once I moved to the 5D4 I preferred the extra real estate offered by 30MP. I still shoot my 7D2 and I still wish the sensor gave me more room to move around the frame.

My .02. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
You are so hard to please. Would 24MP sensor @20FPS mechanical and 30-40FPS ES be more attractive to you?:)

24 might get me in the room. 30 might make me leave money on the nightstand.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Keep in mind this was before the R5. Post R5 I really have no interest unless they bring something really special into that price line. I have more than I need right here at the $3,700 cheap seats.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
24 might get me in the room. 30 might make me leave money on the nightstand.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Keep in mind this was before the R5. Post R5 I really have no interest unless they bring something really special into that price line. I have more than I need right here at the $3,700 cheap seats.
Sport photogs may disagree with you. I mean those that shoot on sidelines weather regardless and aren’t gentle (understatement) with their rigs. :)

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
This is what the manual says. It doesn't specify how much, just says it may slow down. Could you tell where you got that 6.5 fps? Someone did real life testing?

View attachment 192082
For a start, I own the R5 and can definitely say it's slower than 8 fps with anti-flicker on.

For a second, this came from the one Canon Europe manual that also explains the bit rate as 12 bit in 20 fps, 13 bit at 12 fps, and 14 bit at 8 fps. I don't have it handy and I'm at work, but it went on to explain anti-flicker is limited tk 6.5 fps.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
Ok, found the part saying about frame rate drop, although it doesn't clearly tell which factor drops it to 9.2 or 6.8. Probably the flicker reduction is one of the major contributor. Would be interesting if someone tested and reported. Either record the sound and count from there, or e.g. use intervalometer to press down for 10 seconds and count frames.

1597167855466.png

Next need to find that part about those bit rates.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
For a start, I own the R5 and can definitely say it's slower than 8 fps with anti-flicker on.

For a second, this came from the one Canon Europe manual that also explains the bit rate as 12 bit in 20 fps, 13 bit at 12 fps, and 14 bit at 8 fps. I don't have it handy and I'm at work, but it went on to explain anti-flicker is limited tk 6.5 fps.

When you have time to check the manual, could you tell which section/page those bit rates are. Tried to find but I could find where it says those.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
When you have time to check the manual, could you tell which section/page those bit rates are. Tried to find but I could find where it says those.
It isn't given out in the regular manual.

Canon Europe lists the bit-rates for different FPS on their full-spec sheet here: https://www.canon-europe.com/cameras/eos-r5/specifications/

"14-bit with Mechanical shutter and Electronic 1st Curtain, 13-bit A/D conversion with H+ mode, 12-bit A/D conversion with Electronic shutter "

There's another document floating around from Canon I need to find where it also explained anti-flicker is around ~6.5 FPS, along with additionally verifying the A/D bit-rates for the FPS.

I don't have time for running a bunch of specific tests, but again, when the camera is set to green icon for Continuous High, which is 8 FPS, and Anti-Flicker is switched on, the FPS slows and sounds about the same as my 5D3, with a lot of additional viewfinder lag as the feed only updates when an image is taken. Anti-flicker being on makes it significantly harder to track action, and it's the same slow rate in anti-flicker even when set to H+.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
Thanks, that interesting. Also interesting, R6 says 14-bit for mechanical shutter and 12-bit for e-shutter, but it doesn't say anything about H+ more so maybe R6 can do 14-bit even on H+?

Next item I'm wondering if that bit depth really does anything, like is the dynamic range still same but the resolution is just one bit less (on 14 vs 13), or does it also drop dynamic range by 1 bit. My sports shooting is always on the dark side so I need to push and having good dynamic range helps.

Bit sad to hear the flicker more is that slow though, most likely need to shoot without the flicker mode and just face the consequences.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Thanks, that interesting. Also interesting, R6 says 14-bit for mechanical shutter and 12-bit for e-shutter, but it doesn't say anything about H+ more so maybe R6 can do 14-bit even on H+?

Next item I'm wondering if that bit depth really does anything, like is the dynamic range still same but the resolution is just one bit less (on 14 vs 13), or does it also drop dynamic range by 1 bit. My sports shooting is always on the dark side so I need to push and having good dynamic range helps.

Bit sad to hear the flicker more is that slow though, most likely need to shoot without the flicker mode and just face the consequences.
it would make difference in the low ISO range only. And if you are looking to push shadows and / or exposure for the high ISO files in post quite a bit.
14bit files provide more latitude in post. The high ISO DR difference is negligible though.

12bit vs 13bit vs 14bit

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
As R5 has roughly twice as many pixels per area as R6, 13 bits per pixel for R5 is roughly equivalent to 14 bits per pixel for R6, given the same exposure for both.

On R5 alone, the difference between 12, 13, and 14 bits per pixel should be unnoticeable at ISO 800 and up, as there is just not enough meaningful data coming from the light to fill all that extra bits.

Upvote 0