Petapixel Predictions on the Canon R1

Jul 21, 2010
I think there is a strong possibility that Canon's continuing sale of inexpensive DSLR Rebels is a large factor in their steady market share dominance. Assuming those DSLRs no longer exist in 5 years, and only mirrorless cameras are available, it's not so clear whether Canon or Sony will be the industry leader.
A Canon DSLR kit is still the #9 best-selling ILC in Japan, and an M50 II kit is at #7. R50 kits have simply supplanted DSLR and M kits as fixtures in the top-5 of the BCN ranking. Sony had a rapid rise (relatively) concomitant with Nikon's fall, both seem to be leveling off while Canon never lost market share and continue to not do so. For mirrorless, Sony used to have a lead in the overall market, then in the FF market. Now, they've lost both of those #1 positions to Canon.

I think it's pretty clear that Canon will continue to lead the market.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2016
Personally, I‘d say CR delivers much more info for much less clickbait.
YMMV
CR can be quite a tease too.

Upvote 0
I too think that what matters to Canon is less the Internet reviewer's opinion, than what actual pro users like or dislike. Canon, unlike Sony, build cameras for users, not for specs fetishists.
Therefore, I strongly doubt reviewers had the R1 in hands, unlike selected pro users. Their opinion is what matters in this gear category!
Canon building what the user needs would be completely new. They have always built what they thought was good and this does not have to be the same as what the customer wanted. There are numerous examples of this. I don't want to participate in the speculation about the GS. I don't know how to look into the heads of the Japanese either. Let's just wait and see what Canon ultimately brings onto the market.
It would be absurd that an R1 comes with a high sensor resolution. R1 customers traditionally expect very moderate resolutions of around 30 MPixels. Fast image sequences and the highest possible ISO with low noise levels are more welcome. I could well imagine the R5x with 60MPixel and BSI sensor. However, I expect that the R5II will be released with 45MPixel BSI. The high resolution of greater than or equal to 60MPixels would probably be reserved for a successor to the EOS 5Ds.
Canon will not release Global Shutter until all problems are resolved.
I expect groundbreaking things from the R1. Anything else would be disappointing.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Canon building what the user needs would be completely new. They have always built what they thought was good and this does not have to be the same as what the customer wanted. There are numerous examples of this. I don't want to participate in the speculation about the GS. I don't know how to look into the heads of the Japanese either. Let's just wait and see what Canon ultimately brings onto the market.
It would be absurd that an R1 comes with a high sensor resolution. R1 customers traditionally expect very moderate resolutions of around 30 MPixels. Fast image sequences and the highest possible ISO with low noise levels are more welcome. I could well imagine the R5x with 60MPixel and BSI sensor. However, I expect that the R5II will be released with 45MPixel BSI. The high resolution of greater than or equal to 60MPixels would probably be reserved for a successor to the EOS 5Ds.
Canon will not release Global Shutter until all problems are resolved.
I expect groundbreaking things from the R1. Anything else would be disappointing.
Canon has always been listening to pro users...always!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Canon building what the user needs would be completely new. They have always built what they thought was good and this does not have to be the same as what the customer wanted. There are numerous examples of this.
So here we go again…

How do you know what users need and customers want? How much global market research have you conducted? Do you have access to data on the buying decisions of millions of customers? Do you have representatives talking to photographers at events all over the world? When did you last send out a survey to thousands of customers?

As always, you’re welcome to express your opinions. But your opinions don’t necessarily represent the majority, let alone everyone.

Upvote 0