TDP has image quality of 600mm f/11 posted

D

Deleted member 381342

What kind of boat is that you are afraid of losing your gear? And in that case the 800 wouldn't be the problem but an R5 would (costwise).

It is usually a wee fishing boat that goes out from Crail harbour, I at least have dropped my rod in the sea more than once. And aye there is the R5 body, but the alternative would be loosing a expensive body and expensive lens vs just an expensive body. But in more practical terms, it is just a good option for subjects like puffins that wont be in golden hour sunlight and will be relatively far away.

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/CPYTDB/fi...harbour-east-neuk-of-fife-scotland-CPYTDB.jpg <-- a convenient stock pic of boats in my village harbour.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Maybe I am not afraid in situations exactly like this because I use the camera strap. But yes for long distant puffins the 800 would be nice.

BUT: I had my fair share of accidents (or near accidents) with my photo equipment only different than that so I get you.

P.S Nice picture. I guess it must be a nice place too.
P.S2 And... I googled it. It is indeed a nice place...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Much of the loss of sharpness and contrast is from what you would expect from diffraction for an f/11 lens. But, it’s a bit worse than that as you can see by comparing it with a big white stopped down to f/11. The lens will look better on an R6 where diffraction will be less important on the lower pixel sensor.

I wonder if using the R5 digital lens optimizer (DLO) would help much with diffraction as it is suppose to use deconvolution algorithms tailored to the lens to improve diffraction. DPP can also apply DLO.

Upvote 0
It is usually a wee fishing boat that goes out from Crail harbour, I at least have dropped my rod in the sea more than once. And aye there is the R5 body, but the alternative would be loosing a expensive body and expensive lens vs just an expensive body. But in more practical terms, it is just a good option for subjects like puffins that wont be in golden hour sunlight and will be relatively far away.

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/CPYTDB/fi...harbour-east-neuk-of-fife-scotland-CPYTDB.jpg <-- a convenient stock pic of boats in my village harbour.
If I were losing rods overboard, I would definitely consider a camera strap or some other tether like one from Black Magic.

Upvote 0

magarity

CR Pro
Feb 14, 2017
From the sample images that seems so, but I sadly don't have a R. I am looking at the R5 but will give a while longer to see if there are any musings of a R1. The RF 800 might be a cracker for taking on a boat out to the Isle of May where I wouldn't want to take expensive kid through fear of falling off the boat.
Since the 800 when extended is almost all air, the boat can circle back and pick up your camera bobbing in the water when you accidentally drop it over the side.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0