Canon EOS R5 firmware update coming soon, RAW light to be added? [CR2]

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
but ... ehm ... the highlights in the clouds *are* blown-out, so no recovery there (second photo).

It got better though after the recovery. But still blown out in large areas. But in general, speaking of dynamic range, you never want to blow the highlights up. Even on Phase One. You squeeze the DR from the shadows and never from the highlights. Expose to the right but the histogram mustn't be clipped on the right.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
It got better though after the recovery. But still blown out in large areas. But in general, speaking of dynamic range, you never want to blow the highlights up. Even on Phase One. You squeeze the DR from the shadows and never from the highlights. Expose to the right but the histogram mustn't be clipped on the right.
Canon files are very strong from a highlights recovery perspective traditionally Containing at least 2/3 of a stop margin to play with blown highlights. I am reading some reports that R5 is limited to 1/3 of a stop approx. highlights recovery margin instead. Take this with a grain of salt as this info has not been confirmed by reputable sources yet.

Upvote 0
Canon files are very strong from a highlights recovery perspective traditionally Containing at least 2/3 of a stop margin to play with blown highlights. I am reading some reports that R5 is limited to 1/3 of a stop approx. highlights recovery margin instead. Take this with a grain of salt as this info has not been confirmed by reputable sources yet.
2/3 or 1/3 stop highlight recovery margin with respect to what? the in-camera (=JPG) histogram?

Upvote 0
Canon files are very strong from a highlights recovery perspective traditionally

If you're about raw files, it may be a bit misleading statement; they can be neither strong nor weak. This recovery depends on the initial conversion to jpeg or to interim format when displayed in an editor. If the initial/default conversion is conservative and cuts a lot of highlights, you'll see a lot of 'recovery' when editing raw files. But it's all about initial digital conversion - how much of the full DR gets squeezed into the jpegs.

Upvote 0
Aside from the drama queen over at EOS HD ranting conspiracy theories, no one has suggested or proven anyone is being deceived about anything. If you put your eggs in that hysteria basket bully for you.

If Sony's handy-cam is currently outselling the R5 at B&H, so what? That could change tomorrow and then back again two days later. Did B&H release a memo describing the specifics of the change in sales status of these two items, or do you just "know"?... As far as I know there is no such thing as a "cripple debacle" and never in my life has something being the number one seller or top seller at B&H or anywhere else influenced my buying decision. YMMV.

If the Sony is what you want, buy it. It's a mediocre stills camera that I find completely uninteresting. The R5 is a stellar stills camera - like it was designed to be - unless you listen to the ax-grinder over at brand-x and then you get " So in my opinion the EOS R5 is probably unsuitable as a stills camera ...."

Show me where these used Canon R5s are being sold please - link me - B&H shows zero as of right now and when I Googled "Used R5s" the search came back as YGTBFKM...

I'd love to pick up a "used R5" while I wait for my preorder to be filled.

Upvote 0

WriteLight

Landscape and Architecture, R5
CR Pro
Mar 15, 2020
Des Moines, IA
I use a MacBook Pro with an external AMD Radeon Pro WX 9100 video card over the thunderbolt connection. In Premiere Pro it makes very short work of things. If you're going to do any significant amount of video, it's worth it to spend a little money and get good hardware acceleration.
That may be my next attempt at things - to use my thunderbolt to still keep the portability of the laptop but get the processing done externally.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
but ... ehm ... the highlights in the clouds *are* blown-out, so no recovery there (second photo).

Yes, but you get my point don’t you?

Given what he started with I thought the result was pretty impressive. For those of us who occasionally ‘miss a setting‘ when chasing a target it‘s good to know that our opportunity to salvage our mistake is there - especially if the mistake isn’t so severe..

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
How much I recovered from this is impressive - Not perfect but impressive. And eye auto focus works on statues
View attachment 192125
View attachment 192126
Some more random shots
View attachment 192127
View attachment 192128
View attachment 192129
View attachment 192130
Good to see these, I tried uploading some images the other day after importing RAW to the DNG converter then into Lightroom and exporting as JPEG and uploading from the MacBook Pro photos but the site said the files were too big (about 21mb) so I Couldn't upload them without reducing the size. what size were these?

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
I use a MacBook Pro with an external AMD Radeon Pro WX 9100 video card over the thunderbolt connection. In Premiere Pro it makes very short work of things. If you're going to do any significant amount of video, it's worth it to spend a little money and get good hardware acceleration.

I need real estate brother. These old eyes.. Main display is a BENQ PD3200U 32” 4K surrounded by 2 BENQ PD2700Q 27” 2K. PC is a i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz, 512NVMe OS drive, 2TB NVMe work drive, 10TB storage w/2 10TB external backups, EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 video, and 64GB memory.

It’ll run anything well and pushes video and photos pretty well. Depending on how things go I may end up with an AMD next time, but for now the 9900K is doing fine. It’s another expensive hobby.

Upvote 0

Colorado

Canon R5
Dec 16, 2013
I need real estate brother. These old eyes.. Main display is a BENQ PD3200U 32” 4K surrounded by 2 BENQ PD2700Q 27” 2K.
Since you mentioned old eyes... For work (coding, not photography and gaming I switched to a 55" LG OLED TV. It is hung on the wall and I moved my desk back so the screen is about 3 feet from my eyes if I sitting with proper posture. At that distance farsightedness is not a factor (for me at least) so no reading glasses are necessary. I still need to work on calibrating it for photo editing. It may or may not work for you but I thought I'd mention it.

I do laugh every time someone says "4K doesn't matter!" The difference between 4K and 1080 on a 55" monitor viewed at 3 feet is very noticeable. To be fair, the deep color and OLED display also makes a huge difference.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Good to see these, I tried uploading some images the other day after importing RAW to the DNG converter then into Lightroom and exporting as JPEG and uploading from the MacBook Pro photos but the site said the files were too big (about 21mb) so I Couldn't upload them without reducing the size. what size were these?
I have been using the same work flow (I need R5 support in LR) when exporting as JPEG's I set the size to 1080. CR-LR.jpg

Upvote 0
I need real estate brother. These old eyes.. Main display is a BENQ PD3200U 32” 4K surrounded by 2 BENQ PD2700Q 27” 2K. PC is a i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz, 512NVMe OS drive, 2TB NVMe work drive, 10TB storage w/2 10TB external backups, EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 video, and 64GB memory.

It’ll run anything well and pushes video and photos pretty well. Depending on how things go I may end up with an AMD next time, but for now the 9900K is doing fine. It’s another expensive hobby.
Thats a hell of a setup

What do you make of the BenQ monitors?
Im using whats technically a gaming monitor, but is a great 4k IPS panel besides that.
Im kinda in the market to switch it out for either a pair of 27-32" monitors tho.

Upvote 0
That may be my next attempt at things - to use my thunderbolt to still keep the portability of the laptop but get the processing done externally.

it works really well. You can un plug the laptop and basically get a laptop, but then when you get back to the office, one cable plugs in and you have all your monitors and a massive amount video rendering firepower, and that one cable charges your battery. I do a lot of video editing, and it’s ideal for that.

Upvote 0