Is Scotch tape the answer to your Canon EOS R5 overheating issues?

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
What you seem to be saying is that you are disappointed and upset with Canon for not fulfilling your hopes and dreams with their latest Camera release.

Canon set everyone's expectations with their marketing. They clarified the capabilities with the recording limits document, but that did not go far enough as it did not mention the 2 hour timer enforced cool down times. This is a screw up, not a mismatch of people's 'hopes and dreams' with reality.

It seems unlikely to me that any firmware tweaks are ever going to make the videocentric photographers (and pundits) happy with this camera.

They would be happy with reasonable cool down times like every other APS-C and larger hybrid that does over sampled 4k without a fan. They all overheat, but they are also usable again after 5-10m. And you don't lose recording time just by turning them on.

There's something truly wonky with the thermal management in the R5 which is why there's so much speculation.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

pmjm

R5, 1DX Mk II, 5D Mk IV, four 90D's
Sep 8, 2016
So, so tired of all these fools who know nothing about electronics components, cooling, or firmware. More sick of those repeating it for web profit. These people are only looking for clicks and refuse to accept the camera as designed. Not a shred of engineering experience among them apparently.

Every armchair fool has the solution or knows better than a dedicated team of engineers. Seems to be the world today- just having an opinion is somehow permission to deny logic or facts. Start with a baseless emotional premise and shout the loudest.

The concern we should all share is that these are not limitations in engineering, rather they're artificial limits ordered by executives. The evidence is pretty clear that the camera locks you out even when internal temperatures are in normal operating range. I would like to see this addressed by Canon with an explanation from their engineers as to why this is necessary.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
I hate to say this, but this has boiled down to two groups.

I am not so sure you actually hate to say it, but I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

One group of people who are upset at the thermal limitations and are seeking understanding for a possible solution or hope of a solution from Canon.

I think you missed all the idiots that are suggesting Canon is trying to cheat them in some way. Stating emotional opinions as facts and repeating flat out false information. That is the point of first hand knowledge it allows for the insight of experience.

Things that have been stated as "FACT"
  • The Camera never gets warm - My Camera is notably warm after shooting 4K HQ for 30mins - My reality does not line up with their "FACT"
  • Canon is protecting their Cinema Line - This opinion has been tossed around forever - That was why the EOS R sucked, why the RP did not have 24p. etc etc... Opinions tossed around as facts are pointless.
  • Once the Camera overheats it is useless - WOW this has been the most frustrating, when the Camera hits a thermal limit it still has a ton of options.
  • The Recovery time cannot be decreased - https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1658635/5#15313777 25mins in the freezer and he got all the record time back.
  • The Camera can only shoot 20mins of 8K - https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/threads/69-mins-of-8k-from-a-cooled-r5.39119/
  • The temp reported in the exif is all the matters - No one know this for sure because none of use have access to the code.
  • The line skipped 4K is garbage and unusable - That garbage 4k is as good as the 4K in the EOS R and bonus no crop.

And another group of people attacking that first group for seemingly no reason other then they want to defend Canon and "their camera."

Look at the BS above and tell me why you think people on a CANON forum are defending Canon and "their Camera". Everyday for the last 3 weeks there is some new way to show how Canon is trying to cheat us. Your own words can be perceived as an attack aimed at people that do not agree there is an issue...

A lot of us have been offering solutions like 4K standard 4K 1.6 Crop etc all to be told that now the only thing that is good enough is 4K HQ and 8K...

The R5 is arguably the best 35mm sensor stills camera available right now. If you only care about stills or are perfectly fine with line skipped 4k, then you love this camera. We get it.

I do not think you do. If you did you would except the limitations and either say "Yeah I can live with that" or "Nope the Camera is not right for me". Supporting people tearing the Camera apart, defeating built in protections, and anything EOSHD has to say does not strike me as getting it.

What the other side doesn't seem to get is that a lot of people want to love this camera, but find it's not a solution for them because of the severe thermal issues.

That is their issue in a nutshell they/you somehow expected Canon to not be Canon. Canon has never delivered a Camera that was the best stills camera and the best cinema camera all in one package. The closest thing they have is the 1Dx line.

People who have been waiting for a stellar hybrid option from Canon for years now. People who want to use Canon's new RF glass. People who do not want to buy a competitor's camera.

Sounds like Canon is going to offer some great cinema cameras with the RF mount pretty soon.

Continually attacking these people and their motives, making excuses for what is clearly a misstep on the part of Canon engineering and Canon marketing, and insisting everything is fine isn't doing Canon any favors. Everything is not fine. This absolutely affects sales and consumer perceptions. No, Canon is not doomed. But it's a pretty bad screw up none-the-less.

I think you missed "In my opinion"

Keep in mind these issues affect the R6 as well. Limit the R5's video features and it's still a great stills camera which competes with cameras (A7r4, Z7) that don't have comparable video features any way. Limit the R6's video features and it's not that competitive of a camera at its current price point. It would need to drop $500-$750 and even then you'll have a lot of people who pick something else because they want 4k video any time, any place. Not temperature warnings because they shot some stills or played with a menu.

As Gordon from Camera labs pointed out the R6 is a pretty awesome stills camera and compares well to the EOS R and RP in terms of image quality and flat out leaves them for dead in so many ways.

As for me personally: if Canon were to fix this with a firmware update then I would likely add an R5 within the next couple months. If not...hard pass. I'll wait to see if they release the rumored 83-100mp R next year. If I have to carry a separate camera for video any way then I might as well save my money for the resolution bump in stills.

Knowing what you want and what you need are really empowering. :p

And that separate camera for video? Looks like it's not going to be Canon. I hate to sacrifice FF and turn to 3rd party adapters, but the X-T3 is stupid cheap right now and it outputs 4k 24/30/60 that's just as good as the over sampled, HQ 4k in the R5 and R6. For the price of an R6 you can outfit an X-T3 with an EF adapter, gimbal, and Ninja. I've literally stuck with FHD and Magic Lantern 2.5k waiting for Canon's real R bodies. (Not to disrespect the R and RP, but they were clearly stop gap cameras.) Those R bodies have dropped and the thermal issues are just too much to deal with for serious video use. I want usable 4k, not excuses.

Having options is always really nice. Again I am happy that you have a clear path forward. (y)

First world problems I know...but I'm not going to defend Canon on this one. They simply dropped the ball on a camera release that should have been a home run to win the series.

I think you missed "In my opinion" again.

Thanks for the thoughtful post. Have a good day and good luck with your search for the Camera for you.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
The concern we should all share is that these are not limitations in engineering, rather they're artificial limits ordered by executives. The evidence is pretty clear that the camera locks you out even when internal temperatures are in normal operating range. I would like to see this addressed by Canon with an explanation from their engineers as to why this is necessary.
I doubt Canon will fall into an endless and pointless back and forth with a bunch of armchair pundits and designer wannabes. So, don’t hold your breath. Try to get yourself appointed to their board of directors for a full explanation. It’s their product to design. You as a potential customer can make your decisions accordingly.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
with the canon 5d mark 2 built in 2008 and magic lantern i do 3k raw and nothing explodes. they don't want to tell me now that a camera built in 2020 is not able to record 4 k 60 fps. just compare the graphics cards market thake a Geforce GTX 280 built in 2008 and compare with the soon to be released RTX 3080 ... believe me the canon R5 is trimmed to avoid endangering the cinema series. let the the 8 k away ... 4 k 60 fps and 120 fps are currently very well possible in full format but who buy than a C 500 C200 and so on. all nonsense

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
The best way to be the moral compass for a company is either support them or not.

Back when I worked for EA we had a policy of no rated M games. Then the Rockstar hit it out of the park with GTA and within months our corporate moral compass was overruled by capitalism :p

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
What you seem to be saying is that you are disappointed and upset with Canon for not fulfilling your their hopes and dreams with their latest Camera release. This is further complicated by all the pseudo testing by various people attempting to understand exactly what is creating the Camera’s response to lengthy video in the high def modes (heating, timer, whatever). So, it is natural to hope that some of these limitations are artificial and may be remediated in a future firmware release. It seems unlikely to me that any firmware tweaks are ever going to make the videocentric photographers (and pundits) happy with this camera. If you are waiting for that to happen, give it some time, but it is probably not going to do it for you. It is time to move on and start working on plan B, whatever that is for you. Eventually, Canon may give you what you are looking for in a future body, but that could be years. Would you be able to wait that long? We all have to work with what is and not what we wish it to be. If you feel that you have to punish Canon for disappointing you then I guess that badmouthing on this forum is one way to do that.
Fixed in red.

Upvote 0
Smile, you just proved the point I was making (the camra is a stills camera that enable you for short videos - not a video camera), the R5 video capabilites is for 5 min clips, not long video recording (and for that it won't overheat). If you are for long videos then buy a video camera. The same for stils, if you are for stils, don't buy a video camera that enable stils. Take for instance the new Sony A7, which is a video oriented camera (and it is very good at if as far as I know) but its stils performances are not as high as one would expect from a camera at this time.
Make up your mind.
One post you say if you want to shoot 8K, get a video camera, PERIOD.
Next post you say it ok to get a video camera to shoot 8K.

PS:
:)

• Haha
Upvote 0
New findings and solutions for the R5 overheating situationand and an easy solution that works and unveils a bit about the internal construction of the R5. First we have 2 major sources of heat generation, the processor chip, where we believe an FPGA is used and the CFexpress card. When you record without the CFexpress card using an external recorder, then one source of heat generation is eliminated. Canon cannot know the exact temperature of the CFexpress card. To my knowledge the cards do not have an inbuilt temp sensor and Cannon does not sense the temperature at the casing. But, Canon must make sure that they do not overheat and damage the CFexpress cards. This is one reason I believe that they estimate the temperature by a SW algorithm. The second heat source, the processor cannot be eliminated, but may be the heat can be better disposed, for example through the metal base plate. I did this with many products I developed.
Now the real problem Canon created is the relax time after shutdown. This is also SW algorithm defined and not related to measured temperature.
Now you need to cool the camera and the card. Later we need to tell the SW not to remember the previous recording to avoid the length cool down time. Here are my findings:
You can create easy air flow through the camera. There are 3 openings that can be used:
1. The sensor compartment after removing the lens.
2. The card compartment which allows open air flow inside the electronics compartment.
3. The battery compartment, that is also not air tight and allows air flow to the electronics compartment.
All three compartments allow air flow to each other. This allows to cool the interior of the R5 very efficiently. I just need to open the card or battery slot and preferably remove the lens with the shutter open. I blew through the card slot and could feel the hot air coming out of the lens opening. After a very short time the air is not recognizable hot anymore. As long as the temperature difference between the components and the air is big, the cooling effect is high.
Solution:
Now, the real trick based on the sticky tape approach from J.Marcus. The mechanism is the following: When you switch the camera off, you only create a signal that the camera uses to stop operation. We call this an interrupt, which triggers a shutdown routine in the firmware. This routine is executed by the processor, which needs at that time still power. The shutdown routine saves all relevant configuration data at that time into a C-MOS ram chip, probably combined with the real time clock chip. A part of this savings is the overheat status calculated based on the camera use/recording time. The the camera goes to sleep mode.
When you switch it on, or close the card or battery door the CPU is woken up again. You see this when the red LED is blinking. If you use the power switch the camera reloads the values stored before.
But, if you remove power abrupt, then the shutdown routine cannot be executed. The saving of the status data does not happen, instead the data from the last regular shutdown are still in the C-MOS ram saved.
How can you remove power abrupt?
Remove the battery without deactivating the door closed switch. Some manipulation required.
Open the battery compartment is you use a grip. There is also a switch, but it is very easy to manipulate. A 1x1 mm paper piece of a business card does the job.
Open the cable connection to an external dummy battery (wall power or large external battery pack). You don't need to hack the switch if you use this, but you need an external power source. You can use this with or without grip.
Important is that you remove the power that way before the overheating appears. Cannon seems to store a timestamp in combination with an overheating bit and a thermal shutdown bit.
What I do for recording. I configure the camera first, the switch it off to save my setup, switch it on again and start recording.
Wait just before the overheating warning shows up and remove power abrupt before the overheat warning finally shows up. You need to control the time by yourself.
Cool it or not, restore your power source and you can continue recording.
See the photos how easy it is and how small the paper is when I use it with a grip.
This little effort allows you and me to use the R5 as intended. Tell Canon if you see them.

2 comments

Comment

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I think you missed all the idiots that are suggesting Canon is trying to cheat them in some way.

And this is exactly what I was referring to in my opening paragraph. Instead of discussing the information at hand you immediately jump to 'all the idiots.' BTW, if this is an intentional limitation to protect the cinema line then Canon has cheated their customers. They did not announce "Revolutionary video features (for up to 20 minutes from a cold start then you must wait 2 hours to use them again)."

The Camera never gets warm - My Camera is notably warm after shooting 4K HQ for 30mins - My reality does not line up with their "FACT"

Don't you mean your straw man? People have taken IR cameras to these bodies and demonstrated that record limits and recovery times are not driven only by temperatures. Which means somebody absolutely could run into a limit with a seemingly cool camera regardless of your personal experience. People have hit limits doing nothing more than browsing the menu. Does your R5 get notably warm after browsing the menu?

Canon is protecting their Cinema Line...Opinions tossed around as facts are pointless.

No one should toss that around as a fact. But no one should attack someone for presenting it as a possibility. Right now it is one of three theories which fit the facts. (The other two being firmware bugs and real hardware limitations.)

Once the Camera overheats it is useless - WOW this has been the most frustrating, when the Camera hits a thermal limit it still has a ton of options.

Look, we get it. You only needs stills and/or line skipped 4k. To those who need the other modes it is useless for an extended period.

The Recovery time cannot be decreased - https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1658635/5#15313777 25mins in the freezer and he got all the record time back.

Other people have tried the freezer and gotten nothing. Even if the freezer reliably worked...is this what we've come to? "Revolutionary video features (so long as you have a freezer handy)."

Look at the BS above and tell me why you think people on a CANON forum are defending Canon and "their Camera".

Well, for starters, instead of just ignoring threads discussing the issue or at least acknowledging there is an issue for some, people who don't have an issue with these limitations jump to statements like 'all the idiots' in reference to long time forum members.

I do not think you do...Supporting people tearing the Camera apart, defeating built in protections, and anything EOSHD has to say does not strike me as getting it.

No, I do not think you get it. These threads are for Canon users to discuss R5 and R6 thermal issues, possible work arounds, and information which might lead to some idea of whether or not Canon can and/or will fix it. If you don't have a thermal issue, you don't need to be in a thread about thermal issues playing white knight for Canon. Canon will survive without you. In fact if 'all the idiots' get their way and Canon mitigates these thermal issues, R5 and R6 sales will only increase.

That is their issue in a nutshell they/you somehow expected Canon to not be Canon. Canon has never delivered a Camera that was the best stills camera and the best cinema camera all in one package.

Except this time Canon announced they were not being Canon and were delivering the best stills and cinema hybrid in one package.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
New findings and solutions for the R5 overheating situationand and an easy solution that works and unveils a bit about the internal construction of the R5. First we have 2 major sources of heat generation, the processor chip, where we believe an FPGA is used and the CFexpress card. When you record without the CFexpress card using an external recorder, then one source of heat generation is eliminated. Canon cannot know the exact temperature of the CFexpress card. To my knowledge the cards do not have an inbuilt temp sensor and Cannon does not sense the temperature at the casing. But, Canon must make sure that they do not overheat and damage the CFexpress cards. This is one reason I believe that they estimate the temperature by a SW algorithm. The second heat source, the processor cannot be eliminated, but may be the heat can be better disposed, for example through the metal base plate. I did this with many products I developed.
Now the real problem Canon created is the relax time after shutdown. This is also SW algorithm defined and not related to measured temperature.
Now you need to cool the camera and the card. Later we need to tell the SW not to remember the previous recording to avoid the length cool down time. Here are my findings:
You can create easy air flow through the camera. There are 3 openings that can be used:
1. The sensor compartment after removing the lens.
2. The card compartment which allows open air flow inside the electronics compartment.
3. The battery compartment, that is also not air tight and allows air flow to the electronics compartment.
All three compartments allow air flow to each other. This allows to cool the interior of the R5 very efficiently. I just need to open the card or battery slot and preferably remove the lens with the shutter open. I blew through the card slot and could feel the hot air coming out of the lens opening. After a very short time the air is not recognizable hot anymore. As long as the temperature difference between the components and the air is big, the cooling effect is high.
Solution:
Now, the real trick based on the sticky tape approach from J.Marcus. The mechanism is the following: When you switch the camera off, you only create a signal that the camera uses to stop operation. We call this an interrupt, which triggers a shutdown routine in the firmware. This routine is executed by the processor, which needs at that time still power. The shutdown routine saves all relevant configuration data at that time into a C-MOS ram chip, probably combined with the real time clock chip. A part of this savings is the overheat status calculated based on the camera use/recording time. The the camera goes to sleep mode.
When you switch it on, or close the card or battery door the CPU is woken up again. You see this when the red LED is blinking. If you use the power switch the camera reloads the values stored before.
But, if you remove power abrupt, then the shutdown routine cannot be executed. The saving of the status data does not happen, instead the data from the last regular shutdown are still in the C-MOS ram saved.
How can you remove power abrupt?
Remove the battery without deactivating the door closed switch. Some manipulation required.
Open the battery compartment is you use a grip. There is also a switch, but it is very easy to manipulate. A 1x1 mm paper piece of a business card does the job.
Open the cable connection to an external dummy battery (wall power or large external battery pack). You don't need to hack the switch if you use this, but you need an external power source. You can use this with or without grip.
Important is that you remove the power that way before the overheating appears. Cannon seems to store a timestamp in combination with an overheating bit and a thermal shutdown bit.
What I do for recording. I configure the camera first, the switch it off to save my setup, switch it on again and start recording.
Wait just before the overheating warning shows up and remove power abrupt before the overheat warning finally shows up. You need to control the time by yourself.
Cool it or not, restore your power source and you can continue recording.
See the photos how easy it is and how small the paper is when I use it with a grip.
This little effort allows you and me to use the R5 as intended. Tell Canon if you see them.

2 comments

Comment
The following advice is simply a garbage: "... I just need to open the card or battery slot and preferably remove the lens with the shutter open. "

Upvote 0
Right now it is one of three theories which fit the facts.
There's only few actual facts used in all these boring endless talks. Random YouTube videos are not facts, although some of them have verifiable statements.

Have you tried to cool your R5 down in a fridge yourself?

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I'm certainly in favor of people using THEIR R5's which they bought with THEIR money to experiment. I don't think those who are doing the experimenting are the same as those who just throw fuel on the PR fire and claim Canon is cheating people, etc. I think somebody who does troubleshooting or vivisection or any kind of fiddling around with their cameras aren't malevolent idiots trying to make Canon look bad or customers feel bad.

I don't think we have seen--or ever will!-- any kind of evidence of some laughably absurd scheme to "protect" the Cine line of video cameras. I'm not getting a good impression of that EOSHD guy at all for pushing a theory that would mean Canon's successful executives are willing to destroy the companies reputation this way.

In my opinion, Canon could do themselves and concerned customers a service by addressing this issue in a press conference--or at least a statement. Personally, I think some of the reported cool-down times are shocking, and they make me want to know what is actually happening inside a nearly $4000 USD camera I plan to buy next year, and the $2500 USD R6 I am planning to buy this year. If I learn that the issue has been overly protective timers (maybe set this way for the initial release, first firmware version, just to be extra safe), I'll feel much better about the engineering and build of these bodies.

Upvote 0

visionrouge.net

Video / Photography, China & Hong Kong
Jul 16, 2020
Hong Kong
www.visionrouge.net
Well, It shows how wrong the overheating warning is.
What about 1 hour of 8K?
Done...
Without this little trick, the camera was "overheating" after taking picture every minute for an hour...

Upvote 0

Respinder

5D Mark III
Mar 4, 2012
I give credit when due even on the interwebs, and all I have seen so far are whiners and armchair engineers making idle speculation or outright controversy out of nothing. Speculation taken too far makes people fools. No offense, but IT doesn't make you an expert in the Canon R5 thermals. Neither do people pointing a FLIR at the R5 suddenly know all about the situation. None of these tests equate to die temperatures for ASICs and other internals, and you have no idea what temperature threshold is the protection limit for these parts. Some parts really don't like to be hot over their lifetime and so for reliability are kept at lower temperatures.

I have specific experience with high speed circuit design and thermal management and will leave it at that, but I would never go around speculating I understand a design unless I did the thermal analysis or pulled out schematics or looked at the code for ASICs, FPGAs or uControllers myself. To pretend I know, even with my experience, is a lie unless I have done adequate testing and reverse engineering. On a product like this, insanely compact and complicated, that isn't going to happen from some youtube test. To sit around doing inane amateur tests and then to make biased assumptions about artificial timers and blah blah blah is people stoking their ego, NOT honest intellectual discourse. Sometimes saying "I don't know" is the best course, but too many people don't like the feeling of admitting it, even when the subject matter is way out of their area of knowledge.

Calling the time limits artificial or fishy in the first place is an assumption and an emotional label. Engineers have to make a choice on how to put in stops around various physical realities of the components and their interaction as a system. Even if the record times WERE arbitrarily chosen, SO WHAT?! Canon told us about it including the part about other camera activity reducing those times. So for the millionth time I suggest people go buy another camera if you don't like it instead of falsely acting like some detective! Since people are not having an honest discussion about how electronics and product engineering actually work, I will continue to down play what these people are saying because the way they are going about this is amateurish, has an unintelligent and non-rigorous tone, and the vast majority of them have an agenda of some sort: to get clicks or prove the camera is flawed. It isn't; Canon told us exactly how it behaves before shipping started.

There are plenty of reasons the camera internals might heat up just in the menu or shooting stills. In my own tests, just using the EVF for long periods of time generates heat. IBIS also seems to generate heat. Try a 1 hour timelapse at 5 second intervals and just disabling those two is the difference between a warm and cold body at the end of the hour. So I could draw conclusions from my own amateur test that something about the heat and cooling is real, not artificial, but why bother? The camera worsk for me as designed. I'm sure everyone has heard that removing the CFE card helps. SERDES for the CFE might always runs idle characters even without data flowing. We could speculate all day. I could do some pretty fancy tests if I really wanted to, or I could buy the right tool for the job (which I did, and it's a pretty great camera with a few flaws like every product must have).

If Canon has some errors to fix or optimizations for the firmware that make this better, great. Not uncommon for new product. If they actually made a hardware mistake and fix it, great, but I find that very unlikely. However, until I hear well researched logic that doesn't fall apart trivially I will keep calling out all these hokey tests and assumptions for what they are: hot air (see what I did there)?

The only testing I've seen that actually benefits anyone is from those actually working with the camera instead of trying to make it fail, or providing workarounds like using external recorders- those people are accepting the camera for what it is at least instead of continuing on this path of labeling things nefarious or fishy or artificial or whatever.
You know for every time someone has called out Canon for their fishyness, there is a Canon apologist who seems to believe that everything is working as normal and intended. What you don’t realize are two things: One, apologists are the reason why Canon continues to operate the way they do, and two, the percentage of apologists has really gone down recently.
I myself was taken aback by the tabloid journalism of Andrew Reid (EOSHD) and continued belief that the overheating was part of the “cripple hammer” conspiracy. But now the tests pretty much speak for themselves, and these tests involve real people testing on the actual camera, so it’s not just “armchair quarterbacks” anymore.
My point is - there is a real issue here, when folks like Andrew can record up to 50min of 8K footage, yet the camera doesn’t let you do this natively.
If Canon had come out and admitted that there are issues and they are working on it, even that would have been a better way to handle this. But their continued silence is really allowing others to control the narrative. From a marketing standpoint, this has got to be the worst camera product launch in history - far worse than the Nikon Z6/Z7. What was Canon thinking, and why do they remain silent? If you want to continue to be an apologist, you’re not helping and Canon will just continue to push this crap and lose market share.

• Sad
Upvote 0
We now have the disaster of a $5000 camera that overheats after 20 mins of 8K video recording.

Don’t forget that Canon is a serial offender: This is just another of Canon’s appalling design mistakes that they have never apologized for or rectified:

* First they gave us ISO 102400 but it had more ‘noise’ than ISO 200;

* Then they gave us the 5Ds twins with 50 Mp that made all my shots shaky;

* Then they gave us the $12000 Super Telephotos that turned out to be softer at f32 than they were at f5.6.

Now I am hearing rumors that the R5 weather sealing is not reliable beyond 3m water depth. Really? Do you take us for fools Canon?

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Well, It shows how wrong the overheating warning is.
What about 1 hour of 8K?
Done...
Without this little trick, the camera was "overheating" after taking picture every minute for an hour...
If this guy wouldn't make wild accusations about Canon's motives, we could take him more seriously. His raving, unfortunately, creates way too much noise to receive his signal.

Upvote 0