ADOBE R5/R6 HAS UPDATED TODAY 9/18/20

Big_Ant_TV_Media

Hey Fellow Canon Shooters
Oct 13, 2014
NYC
www.facebook.com
Great, right on schedule. They update once a month and the last update was about 28 days ago, so a update was expected anytime. Mine is updating now. I'm still waiting on my camera though. My card has not been charged yet and no estimate from B&H. I really do not expect it soon.
OCTOBER NOV FOR YOU lol

Upvote 0
Looks like the CR3 support is giving the same results as the DNG converter. One less step but still not happy with what appears to be 2/3 underexposed in LRC.
Yeah, I've noticed the underexposure compared to DPP and also compared to the EOS R when both are viewed in ACR. Is it possible that the R5 is less sensitive at a given ISO value?

Upvote 0
Yeah, I've noticed the underexposure compared to DPP and also compared to the EOS R when both are viewed in ACR. Is it possible that the R5 is less sensitive at a given ISO value?

It's weird. The thumbnails in LightRoom are similar to camera exposure on import, but then when I click on it, it darkens it significantly, and that's where the editing starts.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
It's weird. The thumbnails in LightRoom are similar to camera exposure on import, but then when I click on it, it darkens it significantly, and that's where the editing starts.
That’s not weird that is how LR works. It starts with the camera produced jpeg within the RAW that is used for in camera playback. Once you click on it in the computer LR renders its own version and that is rendering it darker.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
That’s not weird that is how LR works. It starts with the camera produced jpeg within the RAW that is used for in camera playback. Once you click on it in the computer LR renders its own version and that is rendering it darker.

It just makes it harder to get the correct exposure. It looks good on the back of the camera (neutral style), but then I have to make bigger adjustments in LR. Do you think Adobe is going to change the settings so that the import is closer to the embedded jpg?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
It just makes it harder to get the correct exposure. It looks good on the back of the camera (neutral style), but then I have to make bigger adjustments in LR. Do you think Adobe is going to change the settings so that the import is closer to the embedded jpg?
Probably, but it is also very easy to apply an exposure correction on import so the files closer match the jpeg. Or make your own profile, or if you have a Macbeth chart send me a few files and I'll make you some profiles specific for your camera, then just apply that to all your images on import.

I understand people like 'Canon colors' and to my taste OOC jpegs are often very very good, but it is simplicity itself to take control of your color workflow. I have shot weddings where five different camera makes and models have been used but the dress needs to be the same color and everybody have the same complexion in all the images. Work like that demands a unified and consistent approach to color.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Probably, but it is also very easy to apply an exposure correction on import so the files closer match the jpeg. Or make your own profile, or if you have a Macbeth chart send me a few files and I'll make you some profiles specific for your camera, then just apply that to all your images on import.

I understand people like 'Canon colors' and to my taste OOC jpegs are often very very good, but it is simplicity itself to take control of your color workflow. I have shot weddings where five different camera makes and models have been used but the dress needs to be the same color and everybody have the same complexion in all the images. Work like that demands a unified and consistent approach to color.

Applying an exposure correction on import doesn't bother me if it doesn't affect IQ. If it does reduce editing latitude, then it could be a problem.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Applying an exposure correction on import doesn't bother me if it doesn't affect IQ. If it does reduce editing latitude, then it could be a problem.
No it won’t impact anything if applied to a RAW file. If I was you and was worried about it I’d calibrate your camera. Just take a series of controlled exposures of what you think are correct exposures, and under and over exposures, and see how your camera histogram compares with the histogram in the develop module of Lightroom. I’d use a greycard to fill the viewfinder then you can check your metering at the same time.

Upvote 0
I find it helps to turn down the LCD and EVF brightness by one notch. Exposure wise, I take it to the point of clipping highlights and then dial it back a bit. Exposures look pretty good in Adobe Camera Raw with that technique..

Upvote 0
The colours of the R5 In lightroom look really off. Nothing like the colours in Dpp. I hope we will get colour profiles, because like this is very frustrating.
I haven't found the colours in Adobe Camera Raw to be too bad, just looking at skin tones under studio lighting in my case. Actually quite similar to DPP with a few minor adjustments to exposure.

Could you post some photo examples of how it is screwing with the colours? Very curious to know in what situations it is failing to give good results. Thanks!

Upvote 0

nikkito

Argentine Photojournalist
I haven't found the colours in Adobe Camera Raw to be too bad, just looking at skin tones under studio lighting in my case. Actually quite similar to DPP with a few minor adjustments to exposure.

Could you post some photo examples of how it is screwing with the colours? Very curious to know in what situations it is failing to give good results. Thanks!
Sure, look. It's worst with people's skin also. The first one is with dpp and the second with LR.

Screenshot 2020-08-24 at 20.56.39.pngScreenshot 2020-08-24 at 20.57.31.png

Upvote 0