Just got my R6 today, An this dark ring popped up?

I don't see your picture.

But dark rings with Sigma lenses are know to come from one of the setting. Can't remember top of my head, some vignette correction, auto-light-correction or such.

Just turn it off and you'll be fine. It's useless setting anyway.
I don't see your picture.

But dark rings with Sigma lenses are know to come from one of the setting. Can't remember top of my head, some vignette correction, auto-light-correction or such.

Just turn it off and you'll be fine. It's useless setting anyway.
Wow Im a idiot. lol Thanks

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
Been discussed here several times.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Slapped my Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art on the body. An this ring showed up on the screen in images. Not with my Canon glass tho. I dont have the dock to update the Sigma lens. I just ordered one, I hope that is the issue.View attachment 192508

I'm trying to figure out how you superimposed an over-the-pole picture of Saturn onto acoustic tiles.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
It also saves a few clicks in DPP4 if you want them with RAWs. And with Digic 8 and newer, a subset of corrections also gets applied to video.
Thanks for pointing it out. But said subset of corrections does not introduce the ring artifact in videos, does it? At least I haven't seen it.

While we're clarifying things, should the Art line lenses with the newest firmware not add the correction profiles for proper support? I remember an announcement quite a while back saying that they had managed to get correction data working with a firmware upgrade. Guess I misunderstood something there or the OP doesn't have a current firmware on his lens?

Anyway, I wasn't saying that this is not a inconvenience. I just don't take to well to people jumping on to a question thread with a statement that essentially means "Look at me, I am able to always pay significantly more for my products (twice as much in this case) to avoid minor inconveniences". In my eyes, it's just a silly thing to say, as it is the equivalent of answering "You should have bought something better" when somebody asks for help with a problem.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Thanks for pointing it out. But said subset of corrections does not introduce the ring artifact in videos, does it? At least I haven't seen it.

I had to look it up, the RP manual says: Peripheral illumination, distortion, and chromatic aberration can be corrected as you record movies. So the onion rings should show up in movie mode as well.

While we're clarifying things, should the Art line lenses with the newest firmware not add the correction profiles for proper support? I remember an announcement quite a while back saying that they had managed to get correction data working with a firmware upgrade. Guess I misunderstood something there or the OP doesn't have a current firmware on his lens?

From what I have understood, select Sigma lenses have a firmware update available that adds the data for those corrections. My copy of the Sigma EF-M 56mm f/1.2 had it out of the box. My 150mm macro doesn't get firmware updates and the 105mm I rented didn't have one either at that point in time.

Anyway, I wasn't saying that this is not a inconvenience. I just don't take to well to people jumping on to a question thread with a statement that essentially means "Look at me, I am able to always pay significantly more for my products (twice as much in this case) to avoid minor inconveniences". In my eyes, it's just a silly thing to say, as it is the equivalent of answering "You should have bought something better" when somebody asks for help with a problem.

I agree with with the general idea of your statement, but for lenses specifically, I will prefer Canon lenses since DLO is like magic. But for 35mm I'd be getting the RF f/1.8, not the EF f/1.4 :) Same for the 85mm, I preordered the RF f/2 to replace my EF85mm f/1.8. DLO works wonders on the EF85mm f/1.8. But as you say, the price difference is 2x in this case, which would sway me towards Sigma.

My Sigma 150mm is sharper than my 100mm L and takes the Sigma 1.4x very well. But the IS on it is awful, I hope I can disable it on the lens and still have IBIS :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Disabling "Perperal illum corr" (under "Lens aberration correction") eliminated the dark-rings in my Art 35 until I get around to updating the firmware... Question though, and it may well also be related to our "old" Art 35's needing a firmware upgrade, have you noticed that the exposure is off on the Sigma Art 35 when it's used on the R5? Mine is always about a stop too dark (as is evident in the histogram) even though the R5's meter is reading right in the middle! I own (& have tested) all my Sigma Art glass (the 50, 35, 24, 20, & 14) and it is only the Sigma Art 35 that is always about a stop (or more) under-exposed!

Upvote 0
Disabling "Perperal illum corr" (under "Lens aberration correction") eliminated the dark-rings in my Art 35 until I get around to updating the firmware... Question though, and it may well also be related to our "old" Art 35's needing a firmware upgrade, have you noticed that the exposure is off on the Sigma Art 35 when it's used on the R5? Mine is always about a stop too dark (as is evident in the histogram) even though the R5's meter is reading right in the middle! I own (& have tested) all my Sigma Art glass (the 50, 35, 24, 20, & 14) and it is only the Sigma Art 35 that is always about a stop (or more) under-exposed!
Interesting. Are you using Canon DPP or Adobe to view the image?

Upvote 0
I use Lightroom, but the Art 35's under-exposure is easily evident in the R5's display & EVF; even easily seen on the camera's histogram! I got this Art 35 very soon after they were first released, so I'm quite sure that it contains the initial firmware version; and I'm hopeful that a FW update will set everything right... I've got a Sigma Dock floating around here somewhere, I'll try to update the firmware in the next day or to, then see what happens...

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
I use Lightroom, but the Art 35's under-exposure is easily evident in the R5's display & EVF; even easily seen on the camera's histogram! I got this Art 35 very soon after they were first released, so I'm quite sure that it contains the initial firmware version; and I'm hopeful that a FW update will set everything right... I've got a Sigma Dock floating around here somewhere, I'll try to update the firmware in the next day or to, then see what happens...

This sounds interesting. If you have time and curiosity, I would test following items:

Fixed scene/lighting, take 2 pictures with exact same settings (F / SS / ISO) with 2 different lenses (that sigma being one of them), compare on DPP and LR.

Same, but use another body.

Same again on R5, but turn off absolutely all possible exposure aid items like highlight preserve etc.

Would be very interesting to see how much difference on each shot.

Upvote 0