A budget EOS R body is coming in the first half of 2021 [CR2]

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
This post about the EVF differentiating a "camera" from a cell phone got me thinking. If Canon wants to "woo" the new market of cellphone users into their R FF family, these are the very people who are used to only using the *entire camera-back* touch-screen in daylight or any other light.

So why don't you just "Give them a cell-phone back screen" and give them what they want. Make it look (& be as bright) as a cellphone, and *easily* interact with them like a cellphone. To them you just have added a R mount FF sensor & lens on it to take stunning pictures.

And, in the near future you could also offer an upscale(much higher price) version of this that would actually "function as a cell-phone"! Now they really have what they want!

Heck, if you have a entire-back touch-menu LCD that's as easy to use as cellphone users have come to expect, then I'd be interested in buying it! [..]

Like this: https://www.canonnews.com/canon-patent-application-large-lcd-mirrorless ?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Upvote 0

Joel C

EOS R6, EOS R, EOS RP
CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Tacoma, WA
I don't know your reasons or thought process for ordering the R6 but clearly you thought there were features that would suite your needs above that of the body your already have.
I have the R5 and despite the deluge of negative comments, decided to not listen to the you tube nay sayers and negative members on this community and actually make my own mind up. I am so pleased I did as the R5 is everything I wanted it to be and more, especially with the new firmware.

My advice for what it is worth, is, unless you are doing long high resolution video clips, I would open the box, experience the camera for yourself and make your own mind up. There will be more firmware updates which I am 100% positive will make the camera better just as they did with the R.
Yes, I ordered the R6 to be able to shoot at higher speeds for getting images of fast moving subjects in relatively difficult lighting situations, I also have to shoot many 5-10 minute clips of video. Nothing super long, like interviews though. I use an eos R and my 6d mark ii for those along with Osmo action cams that can shoot for hours.
I ordered this camera under the assumption that it would shoot similar video to the R, and a faster burst mode for the photos that I need to shoot. As a hybrid, that would fit right in with my work flow. Sadly, there is an issue that causes it to over heat, and would require me to bring MORE cameras with me when I am off on location, and that is not a great addition when I have to do things like travel to the Netherlands to go film.
I was kind of counting on being able to remove the 6D from my work flow along with some newer tech in a body. (It would also allow me to sell off EF lenses and move forward on more RF glass)
The Firmware for the R5 is out, and there should be firmware for the R6. Seeing the 7siii is out soon, it might be time to look into switching (which I do not want to do)

Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
Huge DR isn't a big deal for an RF Rebel equivalent--but the real world scenario I need it for is architectural assignment photography. Sure you can do multiple exposures for blown out lights, windows, etc--and I do--but huge DR would save me a significant chunk of editing time.

So you have a professional application. Why would you complain that a camera that is clearly for purely consumer pursuits doesn't suit your needs?

Upvote 0
In a smaller body without an EVF (or IBIS and dual cards) would not an R6 be right?

I've always sworn myself to having one camera body at a time, but this would be a good reason to have 2.

And also, Pancakes pleasE!! There was a pancake rumor, lets see the pancake!

Sure, but I followed the conversation backwards but didn't see anyone mention anything about a smaller body.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
If we for a moment assume that Canon isn't going to make any more Ms and EF-S rebels, what would replace the $/€500 body + lens combo? Is Canon going to cede the sub-$/€1000 market to phones?

And that is a large part of the reason why I don't see them stopping production on entry level APS-C. Remember all of this is just RUMORS, the only one that got an explicit rating was a CR-1.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I would suggest that the one thing you do not want to take away from a system camera, cheap as it may be, is the EVF. Holding a camera up to do anything with the rear screen is punishing on the arms / hands for any length of time, the more so its there is a heavier lens or a flash unit. If there is sunlight, good luck seeing anything at all. The EVF (or conventional viewfinder for a DSLR) is the one differentiator relative to a cell phone or a point-and-shoot that makes a camera a camera, allowing the shooter to see the picture, the controls and viewfinder info and all good things while stabilizing the camera against the forehead.

I remember many years ago being at the zoo with my DSLR (Rebel T3, at the time) and being unable to tell whether I was recording video or not, because the red dot was on the screen and I couldn't see anything on the screen. In hindsight (I was very green then) I must have had the thing set to be in liveview mode at all times or i"d have heard the mirror come down and be able to use the viewfinder when not videoing.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
The DIGIC performance is critical (in the sense that the old DIGICs would be not up to the task), but it doesn't mean that the sensor performance doesn't matter, especially for continuous autofocus.

If the EOS R/RP can read from the sensor fast enough to update the back display/EVF then that data is certainly useable by the DIGIC for autofocus. Knowing people who work with this sort of AI, I can assure you that the speed and resolution of the data that's already being pushed through to update the display is more than ample for excellent eye tracking - it's almost certainly downsampled further from the EVF resolution for the AI anyway. The key factor is the performance of the CPU and of course how well the code is written. This is why the relatively old 6D II sensor is still fine for this.

Upvote 0
And that is a large part of the reason why I don't see them stopping production on entry level APS-C. Remember all of this is just RUMORS, the only one that got an explicit rating was a CR-1.
Indeed. Expect some APS-C RF mount camera's in the future. No or cheap EVF and cheaper RF crop lenses.
They will need those RF crop lenses anyway for their cinema RF mount camera's that have a crop sensor.

Upvote 0
Because "crippling" is a word associated with Canon, (un)fortunately! I remember the first time when I read about it was on an article about Canon EOS M. Canon didn't provided a way to output clean Hdmi signal for that version so people tried to install Magic Lantern with few card issues. Just a search on Google will reveal that "crippling" was used in titles by fstoppers (Canon Just Filed a Patent for a Brand New Cripple Hammer), canonwatch (Canon EOS R5: Crippled, Cropped Video, Focus And FPS Limitations, Says Matt Granger), dpreview (Will Canon Find A Way To Cripple The EOS R5? These Guys Think So), PetaPixel (Godox Flash Firmware Updates Bring Support for Canon’s Crippled Cameras)... So this is not the single word that is in my vocabulary. This is the word that Canon managed to be linked with on almost every professional site that talks about photography or video gear. But I guess it's their marketing choice. I said at the begining "(un)fortunately"... well, I think is Canon's choice to be viewed in this light and to be associated with the "crippling" word. So, în the end it might be fortunate... Because Canon leads the sales in this market even if they arr selling crippled cameras. I'm not a native english speaker so please don't be rude. Thanks!

Oh please. It has nothing to do with your native tongue. (I actually had no idea English was not native for you, or did you copy & paste your apply above frame somewhere else? lol).
It has to do with every post by you using the "Cripple" word in order just to bash Canon, for absolutely NO REASON. If a brand has one model lowered in price, how can anyone with a sane mind think they should rightly have all the same features and specs as the more expensive one?

Just your last 3 posts (these are complete posts, so not much else to really say:

"Let's see.... Can we cripple it more? Oh, yes: there are so many ports and megapixels and let's put a tiny battery... Is overheating a feature?!" (we're talking about a BUDGET camera here, duh)

"5d mark iii had 25/30 fps în FHD, 7D mark II had 50/60 in 1080p and DPAF. Maybe a R7 would have better video options than R5... and will be less crippled... In my dreams."

"They should kill all the crippled cameras." (noting else to write in this post?)

another a few days ago:

"Let's see the price and the cripple hammer."

Stop being a Ken.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
Yes, I ordered the R6 to be able to shoot at higher speeds for getting images of fast moving subjects in relatively difficult lighting situations, I also have to shoot many 5-10 minute clips of video. Nothing super long, like interviews though. I use an eos R and my 6d mark ii for those along with Osmo action cams that can shoot for hours.
I ordered this camera under the assumption that it would shoot similar video to the R, and a faster burst mode for the photos that I need to shoot. As a hybrid, that would fit right in with my work flow. Sadly, there is an issue that causes it to over heat, and would require me to bring MORE cameras with me when I am off on location, and that is not a great addition when I have to do things like travel to the Netherlands to go film.
I was kind of counting on being able to remove the 6D from my work flow along with some newer tech in a body. (It would also allow me to sell off EF lenses and move forward on more RF glass)
The Firmware for the R5 is out, and there should be firmware for the R6. Seeing the 7siii is out soon, it might be time to look into switching (which I do not want to do)
An interesting dilemma. I'm pretty sure that the firmware released for the R5 will come to the R6 as well & if so, the R5 is now able to do 96 30 second clips of 4k HQ before it overheated which is pretty impressive and although not quite the same as you I would be surprised if limits for 5-10 minute clips were not increased after the b=new firmware. There's also the view that most people cant tell the difference between 4k HQ and 4k 30P footage when they are shown them side by side. I'm sure some people with 4k / 8k TV's may be able to tell the difference if they really look hard but I couldn't see a noticeable difference when I looked on my 4k TV. The good news is that 4k has no overheating limits as far as I'm aware.

The only thing I'm not sure about is how many stills shots can be taken before it impacts the higher resolution video side. From some reviews I have read on the R5, the number of stills shots is pretty big before it causes issues.

Tough choice but for me, I'd try the R6 and decide but that's just me lol. good luck!

Upvote 0
An interesting dilemma. I'm pretty sure that the firmware released for the R5 will come to the R6 as well & if so, the R5 is now able to do 96 30 second clips of 4k HQ before it overheated which is pretty impressive and although not quite the same as you I would be surprised if limits for 5-10 minute clips were not increased after the b=new firmware. There's also the view that most people cant tell the difference between 4k HQ and 4k 30P footage when they are shown them side by side. I'm sure some people with 4k / 8k TV's may be able to tell the difference if they really look hard but I couldn't see a noticeable difference when I looked on my 4k TV. The good news is that 4k has no overheating limits as far as I'm aware.

The only thing I'm not sure about is how many stills shots can be taken before it impacts the higher resolution video side. From some reviews I have read on the R5, the number of stills shots is pretty big before it causes issues.

Tough choice but for me, I'd try the R6 and decide but that's just me lol. good luck!

I see on Facebook that some R6 owners are receiving their cameras with firmware 1.1.0 and others 1.0

Hmmm....

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
It has to do with every post by you using the "Cripple" word in order just to bash Canon, for absolutely NO REASON. If a brand has one model lowered in price, how can anyone with a sane mind think they should rightly have all the same features and specs as the more expensive one.

Stop being a Ken.
It's because that's what they do with the video specs... I'm still waiting to upgrade my C100II to something smaller and better... like a FF mirrorless... I have a lot of EF mount lenses, even TS-E... A lot of LP6 batteries... I look to Sony A7SIII - it's almost perfect. Sony keeps the same grip, the same batteries for all A7 series - so it's a good value; Canon makes you buy a grip for each camera model, that very soon has no value without the camera. Canon released 5D mark IV, but with impossible data rates in 4K, with only 24/25/30p and OMG, a huge crop factor... Oh, and an outdated CF Card! 1DXIII seems to be ok... but still is hard to use it as a video camera.
Then, the RF mount was promising.... Canon teased us by releasing the greatest mirrorless ever made using the advertising slogan "Revolutionising videography. Again." But they limited it with a fake temperature sensor and they called it "overheating". Is very frustrating to see than all my the Canon gear is dropping in price, mostly when I want to resell it. Other cameras hold up their price even if they are used. But Canon goes down in price with huge steps. This is a reality. People see that other manufacturers are more innovative and they listen to their customers so they will probably buy that, mostly if they just enter in this business with no previous investment. In the cinema world Sony released FX9 and now FX7 is coming (let's see!). FF 6K camera priced at $10,998 now on B&H. Canon released C500 FF 5.9K at $15,999! Canon is pushing our limits and is punishing it's (especially older) customers with their crippled cameras. So yes, is very frustrating. And yes, even after those limitations on R5, Canon even charge a lot for that (crippled thing). If you put in balance what each camera can do.... for the price, I think it's not worth it. As someone already said: "Why would someone buy a car that has an overheating engine?" I think this is a valid question. So, no, if it's not reliable, I'm not interested!

• Haha
Upvote 0
It's because that's what they do with the video specs... I'm still waiting to upgrade my C100II to something smaller and better... like a FF mirrorless... I have a lot of EF mount lenses, even TS-E... A lot of LP6 batteries... I look to Sony A7SIII - it's almost perfect. Sony keeps the same grip, the same batteries for all A7 series - so it's a good value; Canon makes you buy a grip for each camera model, that very soon has no value without the camera. Canon released 5D mark IV, but with impossible data rates in 4K, with only 24/25/30p and OMG, a huge crop factor... Oh, and an outdated CF Card! 1DXIII seems to be ok... but still is hard to use it as a video camera.
Then, the RF mount was promising.... Canon teased us by releasing the greatest mirrorless ever made using the advertising slogan "Revolutionising videography. Again." But they limited it with a fake temperature sensor and they called it "overheating". Is very frustrating to see than all my the Canon gear is dropping in price, mostly when I want to resell it. Other cameras hold up their price even if they are used. But Canon goes down in price with huge steps. This is a reality. People see that other manufacturers are more innovative and they listen to their customers so they will probably buy that, mostly if they just enter in this business with no previous investment. In the cinema world Sony released FX9 and now FX7 is coming (let's see!). FF 6K camera priced at $10,998 now on B&H. Canon released C500 FF 5.9K at $15,999! Canon is pushing our limits and is punishing it's (especially older) customers with their crippled cameras. So yes, is very frustrating. And yes, even after those limitations on R5, Canon even charge a lot for that (crippled thing). If you put in balance what each camera can do.... for the price, I think it's not worth it. As someone already said: "Why would someone buy a car that has an overheating engine?" I think this is a valid question. So, no, if it's not reliable, I'm not interested!

They might buy it for it's #1 function: the best stills camera on the market that also does video.

Upvote 0
I still think the biggest issue with the R/RP is the form factor and the R5/6 shows that in their move back to the more traditional form factor. I really could see a lower priced model with the same form factor.

But, RP Sensor/EVF/Video. No joystick. Arrow buttons instead of third rear dial. Scene mode instead of custom modes. Improved AF.

Upvote 0