Canon unveils the PowerShot Zoom

Aug 22, 2020
So technically, that 12MP sensor should yield lossless 1080p at 800mm with a 2x crop, right? This sounds like a fun setup if accompanied by a small action camera. Super basic documentary covering the wide and tele for memories leaving more time to actually enjoy the experience with family and friends. :)

OK different concept, but similar size: why not a superzoom compact with 1/2.3 inch sensor instead?
It hass better optical zoom and it is not that more expensive!

I guess size and ease of use would be my assumptions. But it is a very fair point.

Upvote 0

Mr.Burberry

EOS man
CR Pro
Feb 14, 2020
U.S.A.
I saw it in a theater when it first was around and enjoyed it. I don't think there were many people in the theater.

A couple years back a friend from college days was visiting, and he mentioned that he'd like to watch the movie some time. I told him I thought he might like it. On a free evening I checked my streaming sources and found I needed to pay Apple a few bucks, so I did. Watching it with him was a different experience. I got more out of the movie because I had seen it before, and he thought it was so funny in places that the laughter was contagious. So now I remember the movie more fondly than I did originally.
Now you are intriguing me. :) Definitely will check it out. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
??? So corporates are now barging into crowd funding...hmmm...it's not the intention of crowd funding to help corps...but to help the little guy develope great ideas so they can compete with the likes of Canon.

They have been for a while now, but usually not as blatant as this :) A positive way of looking at this that it seems to allow relatively crazy things to get developed and produced.
It still feels a bit wrong to me, for the reasons you mention.

Upvote 0

Fran Decatta

EOS R6
Mar 6, 2019
I see what they are going for there....could be interesting. Looks like it records as you view, and then you can take screen caps.

I'm curious too...only available in Japan, but the ads contain a lot of Caucasians and scenes from around the world. I'd be interested to understand the psychology and sociology behind that.

-Brian

I thought exactly the same! Japanese are a very special society in many ways, after all.

Upvote 0
I see what they are going for there....could be interesting. Looks like it records as you view, and then you can take screen caps.

I'm curious too...only available in Japan, but the ads contain a lot of Caucasians and scenes from around the world. I'd be interested to understand the psychology and sociology behind that.

-Brian
I like it and could be quite useful for saying magnifying a piece of paper / article especially if you're got eye issues, e.g., short sightness, etc. Must say I am impressed with Canon's change of direction, being forceful, trying things out and getting things done / executed, my wish was that Nikon to be less stubborn and be the same as Canon.

Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
Interesting concept, but wow...I just have problems imagining getting "that" excited about soccer games.
I've tried watching them, but ugh...boring.
You often seem to go MOST of the game time with no scoring...games can end in a tie??
And for some reason, the time of the time seems rather arbitrary....the games over...OOPS, nope, for some unexplained reason we're going to add what seems to be random amounts of time left to keep playing.

That last one I saw the first time I got remotely interested in it when the US got in there for one of the big tournaments for the first time, and it appeared they won...then for reasons no one could explain on the air when listening to it, they kept adding time till the US lost.

Anyway....I will put it at least one rung ahead of cricket as far as excitement and watchability....

Oh well, the rest of the world seems to like it, but I just don't get it.

I'm guessing this camera is being put out first in some part of the world that like soccer?

C
Off topic warning: Without getting too technical, if you study sports philosophy its evident why soccer is the most popular sports in the world: because its is played all over the field and what any given player does on either side affects the entirety of the gameplay. So all spectators can throughout the game follow and identify themselves directly with the role and actions of any of the players they choose or like - because they are all "active" in the game even when far from the ball. No other sports matches this. Basket ball for instance has players rushing from one end to the other, many other sports are played individually and again on each side of a divide etc. When Ice Hockey was dying they studied soccer and copied its most important rule; offside, that helps spread the game across the field. Ice Hocky gained hugely in popularity afterwards - so this is not just a theory. VAR btw is thus a disaster as it removes the intimacy of the game from the spectators who can love or hate the referee but have no relationship with the VAR. I believe it will be very hurtful for the game's popularity in the long term.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Off topic warning: Without getting too technical, if you study sports philosophy its evident why soccer is the most popular sports in the world: because its is played all over the filed and what any given player does on either side affects the entirety of the gameplay. So all spectators can throughout the game follow and identify themselves directly with the role and actions of any of the players they choose or like - because they are all "active" in the game even when far from the ball. No other sports matches this. Basket ball for instance has players rushing from one end to the other, many other sports are played individually and again on each side of a divide etc. When Ice Hockey was dying they studied soccer and copied its most important rule; offside, that helps spread the game across the field. Ice Hocky gained hugely in popularity afterwards - so this is not just a theory. VAR btw is thus a disaster as it removes the intimacy of the game from the spectators who can love or hate the referee but have no relationship with the VAR. I believe it will be very hurtful for the game's popularity in the long term.

Yeah, but soccer doesn't have the same thrill of very real potential bodily injury.
I mean, part of the reason they watch NASCAR is for the wrecks....same for football I guess.
;)

But seriously, to each his own....it was just an observation based on this ad having SO much screen time for soccer vs any other activity showing the cameras potential usage scenarios.

Upvote 0