AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Currys-PCWorld had the R5 flash up in their eBay store a month ago. To cut a long story short, I clicked on it, got confirmation of my order and then a mail 10 minutes later that there would be a delay in delivery. The story went on and on that there was a stock error and I should wait for their next delivery. I got my money back this week as I thought they would not get more stock. Yesterday, they put more on sale on line and I couldn't resist clicking to buy the last one of the 18 remaining. I assumed the out of stock story would start again but it was worth the gamble. Just tracked it on DPD and the camera is on its way to me!

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
@skp FW 1.1.0 was installed, it came from Panamoz, great service from them as always, could not get one from the UK dealers, even though my pre order was in early. :(
@privatebydesign I've only taken a handful of shots so far, but, 1st thing I notice is noise, its dark here right now and playing around I see much more noise than my 1DX3, I expected that so no bother, the joystick button is too high for my liking and I REALLY miss the IR touch button controller, I keep rubbing my finger over the AF on button :S, speed of AF is good but the RF 50 is slow end to end imo, if it hunts it show up its lack of raw drive speed, again no problem as I did not buy this as a action camera, for me its my portrait camera and its main use will be for that with the RF50 and RF85. The IQ is wonderful, so is the IS!!! Amazing IS, wonderful with the RF50 so far. There is a lot to like, screen is great, EVF is GREAT! Things I gripe about are whats in the 1D and missing from anything else Canon make, the small stuff you take for granted, also I am glad I got the grip, the 50 is HEAVY and the R5 is tiny imo, or at least it is when you are used to the 1D. Anyway, those are the things that strike me from a 30 mins first impression, all that said I think me and the R5 will have a great love affair to blossom!
Someone said this thing also shoot video....?
;)
is it more noise simply because of the resolution?

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Currys-PCWorld had the R5 flash up in their eBay store a month ago. To cut a long story short, I clicked on it, got confirmation of my order and then a mail 10 minutes later that there would be a delay in delivery. The story went on and on that there was a stock error and I should wait for their next delivery. I got my money back this week as I thought they would not get more stock. Yesterday, they put more on sale on line and I couldn't resist clicking to buy the last one of the 18 remaining. I assumed the out of stock story would start again but it was worth the gamble. Just tracked it on DPD and the camera is on its way to me!

having seen some of your pics, you'll make good use of it

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
Side note, that 28-70 is a brick! I'm a big dude, and I figured the size would be no issue, but seeing it by itself in person I've got my concerns.. Now since I don't have the camera yet, I have not been able to check it all together, but that is one solid piece of glass! It'll surprise you when you open the box! But i'm extremely excited to get a body attached to it, and take some gorgeous shots!

The 28-70 f2 isn't big... it's massive. I pre-read all the reviews I could find and all said it was beautiful, big, and nothing else like it. But the conclusion was always summed up 2 ways, too big for a daily lens ...or... worth the extra weight/size for the IQ. I figured, heck it's worth it since I have IBIS on the body, what else do I need (and figured it's 'only' a pound more than the 24-70 f2.8 and if I was spending that much on a lens, why not a bit more for the best). Also for comparison it's double the weight of the 24-105 f4, a half of a pound more than the 70-200 f2.8, and about the same as the 100-500.

However, after holding it on the R5, I can now say I don't think I would want to use this in any walkaround situation. Perhaps having a grip would change that view... but really like not using a grip if at all possible. If I shot in a studio or at one location, perhaps it would be worth it. But I shoot more on-the-go... where I felt I needed more than the 24-105, but the 28-70 is overkill for me.

But here's the thing it's not really the weight alone that tips it over the edge. For me it's the shape too. For whatever reason my left hand that I normally put under the lens just felt all sorts of wrong trying to use the control rings at the 95mm end, and I had more heavy pressure points in my right hand on the grip. However what's really odd is if I put on a 100-500 (which is actually just a touch heavier), it feels fine... so I don't know.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
is it more noise simply because of the resolution?

Yes its the res, tbh the Camera is great, better than I could ever wish for. I won't derail the thread but this quick (shot 30 in total I've taken so far) portrait was shot into the sky, Highlights at -100 and shadows are at +100.srgb-0079.jpg
Moody portrait of the old gits. EOS R5 - RF50 1.2. @ f1.2. (exported 2400 longside)

You guys who don't have the R5/R6 yet, hang in there, its worth the wait! Good luck to you all.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Lucas

CR Pro
Sep 19, 2020
France
Greeting from France !

After many years reading silently this forum, I decided to register to share my joy (and contribute) : I just received my EOS R5 ant it's amazing !

I ordered it the 9th of july from a french website, 8:10 PM, it has been a long wait. I've spent 2 hours trying it with my cat and it will be a game changer for me :D

Hope you'll all get yours soon (y)

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Yes its the res, tbh the Camera is great, better than I could ever wish for. I won't derail the thread but this quick (shot 30 in total I've taken so far) portrait was shot into the sky, Highlights at -100 and shadows are at +100.View attachment 192904
Moody portrait of the old gits. EOS R5 - RF50 1.2. @ f1.2. (exported 2400 longside)

You guys who don't have the R5/R6 yet, hang in there, its worth the wait! Good luck to you all.

Since I don't have a R5 yet, I did an edit on that one with some Black and White!

srgb-0079-3.jpg

• Love
Upvote 0

sal7777

From EF to RF
Jul 16, 2020
Santa Monica
This is my first time pre-ordering a camera—ever— and it was very exciting for the first couple weeks. Then, with so much waiting and changing dates, I’m starting to doubt I really pre-ordered, seems so long ago (July10). I think the excitement will return once BH emails me saying my R5 has finally shipped!

• Wow
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Mine arrived within two days of ordering, put the old 100-400mm II + 1.4xTC on it, and by a stroke of luck shot a flying Migrant Hawker dragonfly. (another shot posted in the dragonfly thread). It focussed like a dream picking out the dragonfly against a very busy background, giving me one of my best shots ever. I now have to plough through the bird shots. This was just the test I wanted to do. This camera is a keeper. Do I need the 100-500mm with old faithful working so well?309A0191NN_migrant_hawker_flying-ss.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0
Mine arrived within two days of ordering, put the old 100-400mm II + 1.4xTC on it, and by a stroke of luck shot a flying Migrant Hawker dragonfly. (another shot posted in the dragonfly thread). It focussed like a dream picking out the dragonfly against a very busy background, giving me one of my best shots ever. I now have to plough through the bird shots. This was just the test I wanted to do. This camera is a keeper. Do I need the 100-500mm with old faithful working so well?View attachment 192912

An in-flight dragonfly? That's impressive.

Upvote 0
The 28-70 f2 isn't big... it's massive. I pre-read all the reviews I could find and all said it was beautiful, big, and nothing else like it. But the conclusion was always summed up 2 ways, too big for a daily lens ...or... worth the extra weight/size for the IQ. I figured, heck it's worth it since I have IBIS on the body, what else do I need (and figured it's 'only' a pound more than the 24-70 f2.8 and if I was spending that much on a lens, why not a bit more for the best). Also for comparison it's double the weight of the 24-105 f4, a half of a pound more than the 70-200 f2.8, and about the same as the 100-500.

However, after holding it on the R5, I can now say I don't think I would want to use this in any walkaround situation. Perhaps having a grip would change that view... but really like not using a grip if at all possible. If I shot in a studio or at one location, perhaps it would be worth it. But I shoot more on-the-go... where I felt I needed more than the 24-105, but the 28-70 is overkill for me.

But here's the thing it's not really the weight alone that tips it over the edge. For me it's the shape too. For whatever reason my left hand that I normally put under the lens just felt all sorts of wrong trying to use the control rings at the 95mm end, and I had more heavy pressure points in my right hand on the grip. However what's really odd is if I put on a 100-500 (which is actually just a touch heavier), it feels fine... so I don't know.

I think it depends a lot on your size. I have carried it around in a sling pack many times. I would be hesitant to do that with an EF 200mm f/2, which is massive, but the RF 28-70 to me is only marginally larger than the RF 85mm 1.2, which I also like. I can see how it would be too big for smaller people, but for me (6', 200) the only issue is if I need more space in my pack.

Upvote 0