The RF mount mirrorless version of the EOS-1D X Mark III is coming in 2021 [CR3]

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
I have predicted just this for some time. An engineering intern could work on the rear housing needed to create RF versions of both the 400 iii and 600 iii models. Presumably the 300 f2.8 ii is to be updated with the iii series lightening, and will also be released as an RF. (Canon's data will tell them whether to bother including an EF variant or demountable adapter). RF variants (without optical redesign) of the 200-400 and others might also be done, but lenses that are older than 10 years are more likely to await a real update.

This, perhaps in addition to the rumored 250/250/500 F2/2.8/4 that will do it all for me. (I note that this makes me weigh whether the 250 f2 would be a DO to differentiate.

The real question is whether any of Canon's new big whites will ever be made in EF or if the 400 and 600 were the last.

The "dog that didn't bark" is the lack of Canon releasing any RF versions of existing EF lenses. This tells me they plan plenty of new designs for RF, or a flurry of them for the R1 announcement.

The new lenses might well be announced alongside the R1, imaged surrounded by a forest of new RF big white lenses making the R1 the definitive champ.
I don't see Canon announcing an R1 without a couple of RF big whites. The lenses adapt flawlessly, but they will want to make a splash of a fully baked RF Pro solution.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
If they include some Kind of S-Raw with half the Resolution this topic would be off the table ;)

What if they take the 45mp and down sample to 22.5mp, like they are doing with 4K HQ, that would satisfy those wanting smaller files.

Valid points, to be sure!

Just makes me wonder why Canon didn't do that with the 1DXIII...

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
So, ehm, I bought an EF 180L last month for my RP. I guess I'm "noboy" now :)
Nobody will buy an EF lens for an R camera? Well, I guess I am another nobody.

I would revise the opinion of those who think it impossible...Only smart people will buy EF lenses for their R camera as they a have a lot more choices and will usually pay less. Of course, we aren't all gear-heads who have to have the latest and greatest to impress their friends. Some of us actually take photos - and the EF lenses with adapter work just fine.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

I would revise the opinion of those who think it impossible...Only smart people will buy EF lenses for their R camera as they a have a lot more choices and will usually pay less. Of course, we aren't all gear-heads who have to have the latest and greatest to impress their friends. Some of us actually take photos - and the EF lenses with adapter work just fine.
And some landscape photogs will use the EF in preference to RF for the ability to use drop-in ND and cir polarized filters in an adapter. I plan to keep my EF lenses for that reason. Color me impressed with Breakthrough’s X4 neutrality across the spectrum.

Upvote 0
I think it's telling that people are having difficulty predicting a new feature for the R1 that isn't already in the R5. I see lots of video specs, heat control, ports, etc., but nobody is indicating they want to see better-specced core functions.

My list:
  • ~45 megapixels (needed for 8K video)
  • 8K video
  • Deliberate heat dissipation to allow for non-limited, high-bitrate video recording
  • Video without time limits during internal recording
  • Dual CFexpress cards
  • Full, 14-bit stills in high frame rate modes
  • Thunderbolt 3, 40 Mbits/sec throughput
  • IBIS
  • ~10 megadot viewfinder operating at 120 frames per second
  • Anti-flicker shooting reduces frame rate less (10 fps rather than 6 fps)
  • Highest frame rates capable even with low battery
Only high frame rate with low battery one and the one about Thunderbolt are novel to this discussion.

Still, with this list, I don't think it'd move me to upgrade from the R5 for an additional $1-2k. Makes me think that Canon has something more up its sleeve. I sense something really big we're not seeing.

Upvote 0

Eclipsed

EOS R5, "Hefty Fifty" and more.
Apr 30, 2020
Thats true, noboy would by a new EF lense for an R body. But the adapter works perfectly fine with exiting EF lenses. I dont see the problem and I use 2 of them every day.
Usualy I also hate adapters, but this is pretty much like a native experience. And the added possibility to use an INTERNAL variable ND Filter is realy awesome! Also other filters are currently produced by third parties - especialy for wide angle lenses like the 11-24 its great to have the option to simply add a filter at the back =)
I agree. I have the 11-24 (but use a control ring adapter). I consider a good adapter to be one dedicated to the lens, at least for the session. I'd welcome a mod or alternative that made adapters hard (or impossible) to remove from a lens unless detached from the body.

Upvote 0

Eclipsed

EOS R5, "Hefty Fifty" and more.
Apr 30, 2020

Nobody will buy a NEW EF Big White who owns only an R body.

(Crickets)

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
It will be interesting to see what the R1 has vs. the R5s (or whatever the higher res version is called). I hope to get a 2nd body to go with my R5, and it will be fun to see which of those 2 bodies is best for me.

I also assume that there will be a lot of big white RF lenses announced with the R1. I've never had such big lenses, so I'll be curious if they come out with some that are light enough for me (a non-professional) to consider getting.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
It's an ugly inconvenience at best, and serves well for those who have EF glass. I've posted far and wide and found that no one in the universe has bought a new big white to go only on an RF camera. Canon has the data on this.

An adapter is an insult to a $15,000 lens/camera setup.

Adapters suck, unless there is no other choice.

But that's just my opinion.
Some opinions are best kept to oneself.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
And prior to DSLR for pro camera it was F1
So R1 is a perfectly reasonable assumption
Prior to DSLR ,Canon’s pro SLR was the EOS-1 , then EOS-1N , and lastly EOS-1V
Prior to EOS cameras , there was the Canon F1 but this wasn’t really a pro camera as the EOS-1 was their first ever pro camera which they launched to take on Nikon and eventually they dominated the pro market especially for pro sports photographers

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
I think it's telling that people are having difficulty predicting a new feature for the R1 that isn't already in the R5. I see lots of video specs, heat control, ports, etc., but nobody is indicating they want to see better-specced core functions.

My list:
  • ~45 megapixels (needed for 8K video)
  • 8K video
  • Deliberate heat dissipation to allow for non-limited, high-bitrate video recording
  • Video without time limits during internal recording
  • Dual CFexpress cards
  • Full, 14-bit stills in high frame rate modes
  • Thunderbolt 3, 40 Mbits/sec throughput
  • IBIS
  • ~10 megadot viewfinder operating at 120 frames per second
  • Anti-flicker shooting reduces frame rate less (10 fps rather than 6 fps)
  • Highest frame rates capable even with low battery
Only high frame rate with low battery one and the one about Thunderbolt are novel to this discussion.

Still, with this list, I don't think it'd move me to upgrade from the R5 for an additional $1-2k. Makes me think that Canon has something more up its sleeve. I sense something really big we're not seeing.
I don’t understand why the fps drops with low battery charge on the R5 - my old 7D2 shoots 10fps all day until the battery dies
Why not allow the full 12fps until the battery dies ? Easy to carry spare batteries and if you can afford an R5 the cost of the batteries is not an issue
This is purely a firmware issue as the hardware must be able to cope surely so Canon should be able to sort this out with a firmware update

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I don’t understand why the fps drops with low battery charge on the R5 - my old 7D2 shoots 10fps all day until the battery dies
Why not allow the full 12fps until the battery dies ? Easy to carry spare batteries and if you can afford an R5 the cost of the batteries is not an issue
This is purely a firmware issue as the hardware must be able to cope surely
Voltages drop as the battery capacity decreases. The R5 and R6 have full frame shutters, which have more mass and need to travel further for each image than the one in the 7D. I am not certain of the exact challenges that prevent the high FPS mode to be used at lower capacities. But I don't think it had anything to do with Canon withholding features or preserving battery life.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

marathonman

CR Pro
Aug 29, 2016
Nobody will buy a NEW EF Big White who owns only an R body.

(Crickets)
So what do you buy today, if you don't currently have a big white and want one to go with your R5?
Just checked B&H and when you search for:

RF300 - you get Sony Optical Fiber broadcast camera (no longer available)
or
RF400 - Sony Wireless Over Ear headphones
and
RF500 - QOMO Radio Frequency Receiver.

Not sure I can shoot night-time soccer with Rf600 or RF800 and f11.....

Please advise as my check book is open and pen is quivering.....

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Voltages drop as the battery capacity decreases. The R5 and R6 have full frame shutters, which have more mass and need to travel further for each image than the one in the 7D. I am not certain of the exact challenges that prevent the high FPS mode to be used at lower capacities. But I don't think it had anything to do with Canon withholding features or preserving battery life.
Does the 1DXiii slow down as the battery charge drops ?
Pretty sure it just keeps going at 16fps
Sounds unlikely to me

Last edited:
Upvote 0