Two ‘Big Whites’ coming for the RF mount in 2021 [CR2]

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Exactly - Nikon is making money on mid-speed (slower than Canon's fastest, faster than f/11) PF super teles. Seems to me like Canon has an incentive to compete, e.g. RF 300mm f/4L DO IS USM & RF 500mm f/5.6 DO IS USM.
The 500mm f/5.6 PF isn't cheap, but still close to half the price of the 400mm DO II and close to 2lb lighter when the hood is on. Apart from the 800mm f/11 having the serious advantage as being as cheap as French fries, the 500mm f/5.6 has an MFD of 3m, as opposed to 6m, can be used as a 700mm f/8 and a 1000mm f/11, with the 400mm DO similar but shorter focal lengths and wider apertured. Both can be used as general walk-round lenses. I'd love one at a price of $/£3500 or less.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Oh! Forgive my errant ways :) and my horrible constantly auto ‘correcting‘ touch keyboard....

Being a relocated Brit I do miss ‘proper’ fish and chips! Oh and I’ve had a hankering for a chip shop battered sausage for days!
Great fish and chips in Nova Scotia and even cheaper than back in Blighty. Can't wait to visit my Canadian in-laws when this damn covid is over.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Prime tele lenses have not problem of BF, so they could theoretically make two versions.
I assume you mean that the RF version would add additional RF electrical protocols.

Would you have them add an extension to the back of the body and leave the rest the same?
If not, would you have them alter spacings of the lens elements, and/or the power of the lens elements, and/or change the printing of the focus distance markings?

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
I'm pessimistic about Canon getting an R1 into the hands of sports shooters in or before June, 2021. I feel like the R1 is going to miss the Olympics, but that most pro sports shooters won't mind, since they already have their 1DXs and pro EF glass.
Why do you think they are going to miss that target? There is also the reality that even a 2021 Olympics is far from certain.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
This is great news but I hope Canon has the manufacturing/assembly capacity needed to add a 3rd new R family camera. They are struggling right now to get R5/R6s delivered to their retail partners. I have been waiting 2 months for my R5 and I am sure there are others that have been waiting longer than that.
The total market for R1's is about the size of the dealer demo market for R5's, so it shouldn't affect manufacturing much. Given how bad camera sales have been lately, the R5 order book took Canon by surprise, which is actually a good thing. My R5 came in last week, and it was well worth the wait.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Why do you think they are going to miss that target? There is also the reality that even a 2021 Olympics is far from certain.

I just don't think that target is important, since the 1DX mk. III only debuted 8 months ago and will, in summer 2021, be less than 1.5 years old. TBH, Canon already hit its target, which was to have the 1DX mk. III ready for the 2020 Olympics. That those Olympics didn't take place doesn't imply that they need to ready a new pro camera for 2021.

I predict that Canon will give an R1 development announcement in September/October 2021 and will release the R1 in February/March 2022, with select photographers shooting on it for the Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Oh! Forgive my errant ways :) and my horrible constantly auto ‘correcting‘ touch keyboard....

Being a relocated Brit I do miss ‘proper’ fish and chips! Oh and I’ve had a hankering for a chip shop battered sausage for days!

I unfortunately missed out on my chance to try a ploughman's lunch (which, BTW looks to American eyes as if it should be pronounced "pluffman's" based on "tough", "ploffman's" based on "cough" or perhaps "ploomans" based on "through"--I don't think we spell any "ow" word with ough here ["cough" for bovine?], but no doubt someone will make me smack my head by providing an example) on brief layovers in London. Never heard of battered sausage/bangers.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
What do you even want? I get that you are frustrated with low end offerings. Why that is an attitude I dislike I have explained in a different thread.

Now here comes a credible rumor about updated higher end offerings - and still all you have to contribute is silly complaints?

It's what he does. That's all he does. (Though as I've pointed out recently, at least he's diversifying from bashing the EF-M series to bashing other things as well.)

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I unfortunately missed out on my chance to try a ploughman's lunch (which, BTW looks to American eyes as if it should be pronounced "pluffman's" based on "tough", "ploffman's" based on "cough" or perhaps "ploomans" based on "through"--I don't think we spell any "ow" word with ough here ["cough" for bovine?], but no doubt someone will make me smack my head by providing an example) on brief layovers in London. Never heard of battered sausage/bangers.
How about the sound of the ough make in 'though' and 'thought'? Seems 'ow'-ish to me. That may just be my head pronouncing things non-American (I'm German, although I fortunatly don't have the "zhe and zhat" accent :ROFLMAO:).

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
How about the sound of the ough make in 'though' and 'thought'? Seems 'ow'-ish to me. That may just be my head pronouncing things non-American (I'm German, although I fortunatly don't have the "zhe and zhat" accent :ROFLMAO:).

Ah, Deutsch. That's actually helpful, as I took some a while ago and you all are apparently MUCH more consistent with your vowels than we are. (Though I no doubt need work with my umlauts; they still make Germans cringe.)

When I wrote "ow" I meant the sound you spell "au." "Though," at least in my neck of the woods, most closely resembles your "o" (but rounds a bit at the end). and "thought" is a sound closer to, but not identical to your "a" (certainly nothing like "au"), though in England it sounds a lot closer to "o" to me, in extreme cases it sounds to my Yankee ear more like an "o" than an "a". An Englishman pronouncing "thought" sounds to me sounds like he's trying to rhyme it with "oat" and "wrote" though they're likely to deny that because they don't pronounce "-oat" the same way I do.

English has seriously, serious messed around with its vowels for the last six centuries, and now we have different branches of people messing around with those vowels in different ways, just to cause massive confusion!

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Ah, Deutsch. That's actually helpful, as I took some a while ago and you all are apparently MUCH more consistent with your vowels than we are. (Though I no doubt need work with my umlauts; they still make Germans cringe.)

When I wrote "ow" I meant the sound you spell "au." "Though," at least in my neck of the woods, most closely resembles your "o" (but rounds a bit at the end). and "thought" is a sound closer to, but not identical to your "a" (certainly nothing like "au"), though in England it sounds a lot closer to "o" to me, in extreme cases it sounds to my Yankee ear more like an "o" than an "a". An Englishman pronouncing "thought" sounds to me sounds like he's trying to rhyme it with "oat" and "wrote" though they're likely to deny that because they don't pronounce "-oat" the same way I do.

English has seriously, serious messed around with its vowels for the last six centuries, and now we have different branches of people messing around with those vowels in different ways, just to cause massive confusion!
Oh, now I see it. I messed up the pronounciation of the 'ough' in ploughman. You are right, having listened to it on the internet, the German 'au' sound much more appropriate. Not sure what gave me the impression it would sound like something else than what you described.

I'm not sure if I see where 'thought' sound like the German 'a' though :)

Local differences in language are really amazing. At work we had a conference recently, where participants from all parts of Germany and neighboring countries participated (With masks and distance and proper ventilation, of course). It was quite the contrast hearing the different speakers give their talks with only short interruptions, as of course the language is all similar enough to understand it, but those dialects do influence the tone and flow quite a lot.

Upvote 0