Industry News: The first Nikon Z 9 specifications

I do not believe R1 image and video resolution will exceed 6K.
The 1DX III main selling point is the infinite buffer.
Large image sizes make that extremely difficult and for people who take thousands of pictures bigger files cause more problems than they solve.
My previous guess on the R1 specs had 20fps @ 45mp with limited buffer ie the same as R5. With real time downsampling to ~20mp would mean unlimited buffer at ~20mp similar to current 1DXiii. If it means 2 x Digic X then that also makes sense to reduce hot spot heat generation by reducing individual clock speed and heat spreading through the body.

Upvote 0
Unless I am markably mistaken, Nikon design their sensors have have Sony produce them in much the same way Apple and AMD have TSMC produce their chips.
If the rumour is correct then Sony is developing the sensor and Nikon is tweaking it for their purposes eg ISO64 base. It wouldn't surprise me that Sony is developing a sensor to compete with the R5 to match 8k30. They heard the rumours and Canon marketing drip feeding the specs over the last ~8 months. Whether Sony/Nikon can have a production camera based on such a new sensor within 18 months is a good question. I expect that Canon really surprised the competition with the headline R5 specs. The key challenge for Sony/Nikon will be to meet the R5 specs but with better thermal management.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

The key challenge for Sony/Nikon will be to meet the R5 specs but with better thermal management.

Nikon can shove it out with the same thermal management and it would be fine for the 22 seconds of 8k footage I'll take of Princess Arch Mage Willow Hissington the Third before I go back to my iPhone for video.

Upvote 0

Atlasman

EOS R6 MKII
CR Pro
May 14, 2020
My previous guess on the R1 specs had 20fps @ 45mp with limited buffer ie the same as R5. With real time downsampling to ~20mp would mean unlimited buffer at ~20mp similar to current 1DXiii. If it means 2 x Digic X then that also makes sense to reduce hot spot heat generation by reducing individual clock speed and heat spreading through the body.
That’s my believe as well. The downsampling would also enhance ISO performance. The R5 has set the tone for high end mirrorless systems.

Upvote 0
Nikon can shove it out with the same thermal management and it would be fine for the 22 seconds of 8k footage I'll take of Princess Arch Mage Willow Hissington the Third before I go back to my iPhone for video.
Not sure that 8k/30 video is the prime spec but 33mp frame grabs is likely to be more useful for sports
From my perspective, I use 4k120 much more often for underwater video and has the same overheat issues as 8K30

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
Not sure that 8k/30 video is the prime spec but 33mp frame grabs is likely to be more useful for sports
From my perspective, I use 4k120 much more often for underwater video and has the same overheat issues as 8K30
Then maybe the water is not cold enough? ;)

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Then maybe the water is not cold enough? ;)
The water temperature is about 15C in Sydney at the moment... quite chilly even with a 5mm wetsuit and vest/hood when spending 2 hours under. Using a partial vacuum (roughly 7" of mercury) in the housing to ensure good sealing means convection is very limited and conduction is limited to the plastic tripod mount. Radiance/radiation from the housing shell would be the main method I think with about 20C temperature differential. I am generally limited to the CFe card size than overheating at the moment. Need to ensure I don't accidentally forget to turn off the record button properly!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
The water temperature is about 15C in Sydney at the moment... quite chilly even with a 5mm wetsuit and vest/hood when spending 2 hours under. Using a partial vacuum (roughly 7" of mercury) in the housing to ensure good sealing means convection is very limited and conduction is limited to the plastic tripod mount. Radiance/radiation from the housing shell would be the main method I think with about 20C temperature differential. I am generally limited to the CFe card size than overheating at the moment. Need to ensure I don't accidentally forget to turn off the record button properly!

You should try the 2TB Delkin, if you haven't already. Cheap for the $/GB. Among the fastest, although not rated for high bitrate video apparently. Did a testing comparison of the brands... https://camnostic.com/cfexpress-cards-comparison/

Upvote 0
You should try the 2TB Delkin, if you haven't already. Cheap for the $/GB. Among the fastest, although not rated for high bitrate video apparently. Did a testing comparison of the brands... https://camnostic.com/cfexpress-cards-comparison/
A very interesting review! Canon Europe used to have the only official website showing approved CFe cards for the R5 but the link has broken. Canon Asia and Canon US have the same information....
https://asia.canon/en/support/8204818700
https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART177429&actp=LIST
Delkin isn't in the list and it is interesting that the smaller Sandisk cards are not approved although they are listed on B&H's website as compatible. CFe type B is very new in the market and limited availability (including card readers) was a problem when I bought mine. I got a Sony Tough but not the larger size. My budget was crunched when the R5 pricing was released and I needed to buy a new housing hence the smaller size.
I wonder how A7Siii owners are coping with the even more newer type A cards! They are even more expensive!
The SD card markings are worse with the marking/ratings being very variable... A V30 card can be faster to write than a V90 card

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Indeed, both is probably the way to go. I can bet Canon will have the tilt shifts that whisper to me.
Before switching from film to digital, I checked the offer on the market.
For me, Nikon DSLRs were specs-wise more interesting than the Canons. (As long as you are inexperienced in a new domain, specs seem to matter more than ergonomics or service).
But Canon had the 24 TSE II , so I bought Canon and never regretted it.
Then came the 100-400, my favorite, the TSE 50, 90 and 135...whispering to my ears (still saving for one of those!).
Conclusion: Canon did it right, unlike Nikon, to accompany the R's introduction with high-end lenses, neither soni nor Nikon have in their program.
It's the lenses that really matter (and the guy behind them, of course).
I know: the Nikkor TS 19mm is a wonderful lens too...

Upvote 0