Well, well, well… could this be Canon’s lens roadmap for 2021? [CR2]

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012
If Canon does release 5 super tele primes(At least 1 of them costing more than most cars), these could almost be built to order and few would be wise to it. Unless I am very much mistaken, Canon could today say you can order a 1200mm f/8 today and the five people able to buy one will put their orders in and wait the 3-6 months for their build to order lens.

That’s what happened with the last 1200mm lens. Though it was an f/5.6 L, only around 20 are known to have existed, and only 3 have been sold on the used market in the last 30 years, each for well over $100,000. The last going for $180,000. CNN owns 1, NatGeo has at least 2 & ESPN 1 (giving Disney 3), discovery has 2. I think only 4 of them are in private hands. Canon kept 2 for themselves. The FBI is rumored to have one.

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
No DO lenses?!
A new 1200mm ?! Really?

dayum!
It will cost maybe 20k€?!

135 1.8 would be enough otherwise it is to heavy...
But in the meantime they could build a new 200 1.8 ^^... and where are the 5.6 Tele :(...
Remember, according to the recent interview posted here they are no longer planning to differentiate DO lenses with the green ring. They intend to incorporate DO optics in to the regular series. So you don't know which are DO and which aren't at this point. We'll have to actually see the designs when they get announced.

-Brian

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

That’s what happened with the last 1200mm lens. Though it was an f/5.6 L, only around 20 are known to have existed, and only 3 have been sold on the used market in the last 30 years, each for well over $100,000. The last going for $180,000. CNN owns 1, NatGeo has at least 2 & ESPN 1 (giving Disney 3), discovery has 2. I think only 4 of them are in private hands. Canon kept 2 for themselves. The FBI is rumored to have one.

Aye, but unless I am mistaken the 1200 f/8 is going to be huge? Like maybe 600/III sized if they can get DO involved.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

lexptr

Photograph the nature while it exists...
Aug 8, 2014
Still I think it was the very sharpest black lens Canon ever made ... I don't see how a replacement could be radically sharper
Unfortunately the 180mm f/3.5 is not the sharpest "black" lens. Not even close. TDP is good source of comparison chart-shoots for many lenses. Here is the comparison of 180mm f/3.5 and 100mm f/2.8L. The 100 is much sharper even at 2.8. Bunch of other lenses are significantly sharper too. E.g. look at this comparison with 200mm f/2.8L II (at 2.8) - it is night and day! Most (if not all) contemporary L-line zooms are sharper or much sharper. So it is very old and soft lens by todays standards. There is almost no difference on low-MP FF sensors, but high-MP sensors show the age of 180mm f/3.5 and, I believe, it can be improved a lot. I hope they will release a new version eventually and it will be better, than 100mm f/2.8L. I will, most likely, replace mine with it.

Upvote 0
I suggested a couple months ago that I'd like to see this lens and that it was possible, and was told by a prominent member of this site that "no it's absolutely not possible". :ROFLMAO: Now I can't remember who it was.
135/1.4 is of course possible... it would be very expensive with a ~100mm entrance pupil. It would be large, impressive and bought in a niche volume.
It could be the replacement for the EF200/2 though.
Would be similar in price to the 300/2.8.... which isn't in the replacement list!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What would be valid reasons to upgrade for those who already have something similar or even better like EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, instead of using an adaptor ?
The RF70-200mm was my first lens to update. The size and weight advantage is too good to ignore - even when comparing without an adapter on the EF version.

Upvote 0
Yeah - 10mm? Wow - just picked up the EF 11-24/4L for my EOS R - wonder how much that 10mm will be? The EF 11-24 is $2900
The extra 1mm is impressive but clearly won't allow for rear filters except for gels - unless there is a special system that is equivalent to the R mount filter adapter

Upvote 0
I was hoping for a super fast astrophotography prime or zoom thats better than 2.8.

• Canon RF 24mm f/1.8 IS STM Macro could be interesting though
Some amazing Lenses on offer though. It'll be interesting to see what sigma brings to the table. Id rather have canons own Lenses but if sigma can do some fast wide primes or pancake lenses id snap their hands off
I concur... a wide zoom (or prime) for astro does seem to be a neglected area. The EF14mm isn't great and the Samyang 14mm f2.8 is hard to beat overall (price/size/coma etc)

Upvote 0
I know Joel Grimes uses tilt shift lenses to stitch 3 frame vertical (and horizontal) panorama portraits to get incredible details in huge galkery prints. AF would be useful in portraits like that. Something as a portrait photographer I’ve been meaning to try.
If you are stitching then you need to keep the focus (and everything else) fixed and probably at the hyperfocal distance. Not sure how AF will help with that use case.

Upvote 0
Really hope that the Canon RF 10-24mm f/4L USM will be front filterable. Almost all - if not all - super UWA zooms, whether DSLR or mirrorless, released these latest years are NOT front filterable. Sucks imho.

Would the RF mount specifications allow for a 10-24mm f/4L + front filter?
Highly unlikely for front filter and front filters would need to be huge and CPLs not very useful with sky in them. The adapted EF does provide these features although missing 1mm. Will be big!

Upvote 0
Finally, an announcement of a true RF macro lens! My EF 100mm f/2.8L IS is one of my most used lenses, I really hope the RF version comes out early
I use my EF100mm macro a lot too (macro and portrait). Besides the adapter (which I can weld on), I don't see the advantage of a RF version. If it was f2 or 2x macro then it would have a benefit over the EF version.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Holy crap, now that's a line up.
I wasn't expecting to be interested in a 16-35 F/4 replacement, since my EF one works great...but 14mm may very well just sell me on it. If the lens has filter threads, I'll probably upgrade my 16-35 F/4 to that.
The RF version will be expensive compared to the EF16-35/f4. The extra 1mm could be nice sometimes but I can't see myself replacing my EF unless it I break it somehow.

Upvote 0
About the only thing I see missing is a fisheye, and probably because it’s so niche.
The EF8-15mm/4 is good for what it is. Could be some quality updates but hard to see it being part of a 2021 release schedule. Until the recent Nikon version, it was unique in any system.

Upvote 0
It's great to see the glass coming out from Canon. I'd love to see an RF8-16mm Fisheye lens. Whatever R-body I get, it will be primarily for underwater photography. A fisheye lens is a must for me.
Way to go Canon!
Definitely very useful underwater but I wouldn't see a big difference in quality needed over the EF version.
My Ikelite housing with the R5 is working very well for me :)

Upvote 0
I saw no serious macro lenses that interest me. They've started calling "macro lenses" to those that are 1:2 max magnification, which is false advertising, and I wish they'd just say "half macro" and I'm guessing they're doing the same with the new ones they called "macro" lenses. I was hoping they'd come out with something like a RF 300 f4L IS USM with half (or 1:1) macro, or RF 180 f2.8L IS 1:1 macro, or an update to the MPE 65 1to5:1 super macro for those doing flash super-macro (like Dalantech), but there was nothing like that.
Hard to see a benefit to the current EF100mmL macro unless the RF100mm macro is 2x

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014

The 1200 F5.6 is a totally different animal from the F8 version. The F8 should not be much bigger than a 600 F4 or 800 5.6 and priced under $20 000 i believe.

Upvote 0
Nope, that’s still the first faulty R5 batch.

Canon clearly stopped shipping R5’s because of technical or production issues.
My R5 works flawlessly and to specification since July. Unless Canon comes out with a R5 II with better heat management then I don't see how the first batch is fauty

Upvote 0