Rumors confirmed: Canon EOS M50 Mark II and a new Speedlite are coming soon

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012
I doubt that Fuji is the driver here. The majority of M buyers are just average consumers that don't keep up on all the tech details and to them, "Fujifilm" is a name that will elicit the question "didn't they make film?". Canon has the name recognition and the store shelf space. You want a Fuji, you will need to order it because you will find them in very few stores. The Fuji system, while very elegant, is not exactly cheap when you start buying lenses and also on the heavy side when compared to the M system. The M50 II will be sold to the same folks who bought the M50 and their friends. If it is decently thought out, it will sell very well.

I was at best buy the other day and they had a canon rep there peddling the M50 with web cam kit. Apparently that is very popular, and the reps are going around to the stores as shipments arrive. They definitely know how to sell the crap out of these M line cameras. I loved my M5, but sadly it was stolen about 2 weeks ago. Looking forward to an upgrade.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

lexptr

Photograph the nature while it exists...
Aug 8, 2014
New flagship flash? So I will need to sell my two 600RT II and buy those new?? Together with switching to R system??? Canon, please stop innovating! Give us time to use the equipment we have and save some money!! :)

On a serious note: rechargeable battery seems to be no good IMO. That is another nonstandard battery with its charger. Maybe I would like it to have same battery, as 5D/R5, but really I'd prefer the standard AA. I already use rechargeable AAs for flash and other devices. The Speedlite transmitter, for example uses two AAs. Will be unhappy to add another type of battery.

Any way, it is interesting to see, what they will come up with.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
For those who are JUST getting into full frame photography for STILL and VIDEO, either the ORIGINAL M50 and this NEW M50 mk2 will be quite the steal in terms of pricing. If the new M50 Mk2 camera is $999 (which I expect it will be due to upgrades being made in it video capabilities!), I HIGHLY SUGGEST getting the Canon EF to RF mount adapter and then buying the FOLLOWING Sigma Art Series PRIME LENSES in the order they are listed to get the MOST COST EFFECTIVE super-sharp, super high quality set of lenses on the market that are pretty much MUCH FASTER across the board than the equivalent Canon L-series.

The sharpness is ASTOUNDING on the Sigma Art Series and ONLY the Twice-the-Price Zeiss Otus series is better! You're just getting a WHOLE LOT MORE for your money. This is ONE case where a 3rd party supplier IS actually better than Canon glass.

If you buy these lenses YOU ARE SET for full frame photography that will work in any situation for family and pro-level portraiture, streets and wide landscapes, telephoto sports/birding/wildlife, 24 fps pro-level video production and even nighttime/astrophotography on almost ANY high end Canon DSLR (i.e. M50, 5Dmk4, 1Dx2/3) and the newest RF mount cameras like the R5 -- You are getting the BEST of both worlds!

Add in the 2x Teleconverter and that 600mm Sports Zoom now reaches out to 1200 mm for your super-long range imagery!

Canon Mount Adapter EF-EOS R ($99 USD)

Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Zoom Lens for Canon EF ($719)

Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Prime Lens for Canon EF ($799 USD)

Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Prime Lens for Canon EF ($949 USD)

Sigma 85mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Prime Lens for Canon EF ($1099 USD)

Sigma 135mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art Prime Lens for Canon EF ($1399)

Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports Zoom Lens for Canon EF ($1849 USD)

Samyang 24mm f/3.5 ED AS UMC Tilt-Shift Lens for Canon ($749 USD)
(I added a 3rd party Tilt-Shift lens because its FUN hobby to make buildings and cars look like they are toy models!)

Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Lens ($1249 USD)
(the ONE actual Canon Lens in my lineup because EVERYONE should have at least one GREAT Fisheye lens!)

Sigma TC-2001 2x Teleconverter for Canon EF ($399 USD)

Vello LENS-2020 Lens Calibration Tool ($36 USD)

Since LENSES (after the end-user!) are the most important part of getting decent image quality, these above Sigma Prime and Zoom lenses, Samyang Tilt-Shift Lens, Canon Fish Eye lens plus EF-to-RF Adapter, 2x Teleconverter and Lens Calibration Tools will cover almost every major situation you can think of for modern photography for Enthusiasts AND Pros! When you add it all up price-wise ($9346 USD for everything), it's definitely doable by scrimping, saving and stretching some credit card payments over 24 to 36 months.

AND if you DO HAPPEN to find yourself a lowish-shutter count used Canon 5D Mk4 or a Canon 1Dx Mk 1 or 1Dx Mk 2 for a steal of a price on eBay, THEN you have REALLY hit the BIG TIME in pro-level stills photography and video production for a small amount of money with these lenses!

V

Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure there will be no crop 4k and advanced AF, but I doubt about IBIS. m50 is not high end body. Of course, this is possible, Panasonic and Olympus have cameras with IBIS in this segment. But stil, l think this is unlikely. I will also carefully assume that there will be some improvements in ergonomics, maybe they will add some customizable button or even wheel on the back

Upvote 0
If the new M50 Mk2 camera is $999 (which I expect it will be due to upgrades being made in it video capabilities!), I HIGHLY SUGGEST getting the Canon EF to RF mount adapter and then buying the FOLLOWING Sigma Art Series PRIME LENSES
Hang on. Why would anyone need a EF to RF adapter for the M50 or M50II? It's not an RF mount camera.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
As a long time M50 owner and user, can't wait to see what upgrades and specs Gen 2 comes in with. I do hope that my current Small Rig cage, L bracket and other accessories will fit the newly upgraded model. It will NOT bother me if they upgrade the battery, even if it is not compatible with Gen 1 M50. What's especially nice is how affordable the M series bodies are. Wow, Canon! You have come alive in 2020 as we anticipate this announcement, along with all your other new toys for us. I guess we should thank Sony for pushing the mirrorless boundaries for the last few yrs, something Canon obviously took note of. While I don't own any Sony cameras, I doubt very much, in their absence, if we would have an R, R5, R6 or the upcoming rumored R1x, along with all the new technologies and those glorious RF lenses. So, for nipping at Canon's heels, pushing them to compete, thank you Sony. Keep up the good work.....

Upvote 0
Since we now that the M50 II:
- keep the same small battery lp-e12
- keep an old micro usb port.
I bet it won't top the line and will stay below the m6 II. So...
- no ibis
- 24mp sensor

Incremental upgrade. I'd be glad to be proven wrong though.

If they keep the micro usb port, I will send them few f*cks right away. It has to be usb-c, or I refuse to buy. This camera, without an IBIS, is DOA. According to your expectations, what is an advancement to the 2 years old model then? In fact, I would buy m6 mkII (silver) format camera with IBIS and improved eye AF right away ...

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
The upcoming M50 Mark II certainly does not rule out a higher end M camera (m5 II or M-7 or whatever). Not sure why so many are jumping to that conclusion. Nor will the M50 II be a higher end camera than the M6 II in all likelihood. It is a cheaper model, so I am sure that's where it will remain. At around $600-650, it won't be a competitor to the Fuji mentioned. It's aimed at a different consumer.

I must say, that the trolls are out in force on this thread. No competitive cameras from Canon? Please, try to pay attention to the real world, rather than troll-land. Their full frame offerings are now better than the competition in almost every way. The M series is probably the most popular APS-C line of cameras - and if not, than only the Rebels out sell them. Everybody should get the camera that best suits them, but please, you can enjoy your camera without feeling the need to slam other brands.

Well said!!! Sounds a lot like someone who watches too many YouTube 'photog warriors'... Especially when I know people who are still shooting with a Canon 1Ds Mk III. I wish my Canon 40D hadn't crapped out with the dreaded "Error 99" issue - loved the output from that body/sensor (just not above 800 ISO).

Upvote 0
If they keep the micro usb port, I will send them few f*cks right away. It has to be usb-c, or I refuse to buy. This camera, without an IBIS, is DOA. According to your expectations, what is an advancement to the 2 years old model then?
- No crop 4k seems obvious but I don't know if it's possible with the 24mp sensor
- better af (digic 9?)
- 1 additional dial maybe
- better evf?
- part of software improvement of the M6 mk2 ( auto iso settings and so on)

we'll see...

Upvote 0
Hang on. Why would anyone need a EF to RF adapter for the M50 or M50II? It's not an RF mount camera.

--

You buy the RF adapter NOW because when NEW RF cameras come out, you will be able to buy a used R5 Mk1 for $3200 USD or less when that user upgrades to the R5 mk2 and you STILL get to use all your AWESOME Sigma EF Glass! Those Sigmas I outlined in my Earlier post are SOOOOO SHARP that when the R5s (90 megapixel) comes out, you will STILL be able to use those EF lenses on that RF mount camera with the EF to RF adapter!

And if you do your purchase payments over 24-to-36 months, it really isn't all that much money per month for AWESOME GLASS!

--

Spend your money on GOOD GLASS NOW and reap the benefits when NEW RF mirrorless cameras come out OR when you get a GREAT DEAL on a used 5Dmk4 or 1Dx mk1/mk2/mk3. When my boss is FINALLY done with his 1Dx mk2s and 1Dc's, I will be buying a few of them for dimes on the dollar! I'm doing a lot of multi-camera work now, so once I can get my hands on EIGHT of those 60 Canon 1Dx2's and 1Dc's my boss bought, I will buy those for my own wide-screen and surround-view video and stills work!

They have low shutter counts and the PRO-LEVEL bodies with great weather sealing make those cameras a TOTAL WORTH-IT BUY used! He's got the Global Shutter 50+ Megapixel MF cameras now, so he really doesn't need the Canons anymore! I WOULD LIKE to buy them instead! AND .... When he finally gets rid of the Canon C700 4K GS'es, I'm gonna get a few of those too for reasonably cheap -- He has PROPER Canon T2 Cinema Glass for those which I can't WAIT to get my hands on for a decent price !!!

--

• Haha
Upvote 0
It is messed up they won't just put all the good stuff in one camera. But, I understand the diabolical business strategy of this compromise approach. With that said even without the image stabilization, non standard battery, weather proofing and additional SD slots, it's still probably going the best vlogging camera with the uncropped 4K @ 60p, and the 32.5 MP as well as be a great all round shooter for the enthusiasts/prosumer.

At least the battery and SD locations won't be problematic like the Sony ZV-1. I've been holding off waiting for someone to offer the uncropped 4K as I don't want to spend a fortune on lenses for my current needs. If Canon releases the model on Prime Day I'll likely get one. If not I'll probably end up settling for something else as I need one fairly soon. My last two cams were the Pentax K10D (Tank) and Samsung NX-500 (NX is fantastic except for the onboard mic and lack of external mic ports). So for me, the M50 Mark II will be an upgrade for sure. And it would be my first non point and shoot Canon as its the first to impress me with the speculated price point compared to other existing cameras in specs/price range since the NX-500.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
--

You buy the RF adapter NOW because when NEW RF cameras come out, you will be able to buy a used R5 Mk1 for $3200 USD or less when that user upgrades to the R5 mk2 and you STILL get to use all your AWESOME Sigma EF Glass! Those Sigmas I outlined in my Earlier post are SOOOOO SHARP that when the R5s (90 megapixel) comes out, you will STILL be able to use those EF lenses on that RF mount camera with the EF to RF adapter!

And if you do your purchase payments over 24-to-36 months, it really isn't all that much money per month for AWESOME GLASS!

--

Spend your money on GOOD GLASS NOW and reap the benefits when NEW RF mirrorless cameras come out OR when you get a GREAT DEAL on a used 5Dmk4 or 1Dx mk1/mk2/mk3. When my boss is FINALLY done with his 1Dx mk2s and 1Dc's, I will be buying a few of them for dimes on the dollar! I'm doing a lot of multi-camera work now, so once I can get my hands on EIGHT of those 60 Canon 1Dx2's and 1Dc's my boss bought, I will buy those for my own wide-screen and surround-view video and stills work!

They have low shutter counts and the PRO-LEVEL bodies with great weather sealing make those cameras a TOTAL WORTH-IT BUY used! He's got the Global Shutter 50+ Megapixel MF cameras now, so he really doesn't need the Canons anymore! I WOULD LIKE to buy them instead! AND .... When he finally gets rid of the Canon C700 4K GS'es, I'm gonna get a few of those too for reasonably cheap -- He has PROPER Canon T2 Cinema Glass for those which I can't WAIT to get my hands on for a decent price !!!

--
Well, then, let's hope your boss comes through for you.

Upvote 0
Well, then, let's hope your boss comes through for you.

--

They've already given and sold multiple Canon 5D Mk2's and Canon 5D mk3's to office and warehouse staff. They bought 150 of them back in the day for use onboard UAVs and submersibles and on cars/boats during autonomous mobility systems testing. The Canon 1Dxmk2's and C700 GS's are the ones I REALLY HAVE MY EYE ON!

It takes about 3 to 5 years to write them down depreciation-wise on the accounting books until, essentially for taxation/valuation purposes, they become worth ZERO on the company's books. Once that happens, they put a purchase order schedule in to buy other cameras when they come out (i.e. Sony Venices, Canon C700 FF, Alexa LF's, 1Dx3 Mk3's, Canon R5's, Sony A7s3's etc) and the others get sold/given to staff depending upon if its consumer vs pro cameras.

The 5D mk2's are considered consumer grade so they are GIVEN to staff with one 50mm or 35mm prime lens. The 5D Mk3's and Sony A7s2's are sold for dimes on the dollar to staff (i.e. $150 or less with lenses extra) and the Canon C700 GS I will hopefully be getting for maybe a few thousand WITH the cinema lenses since they are NOT full frame (i.e. S-35) and we are only buying full frame or larger from now on. The Medium Format Global Shutter combine Stills/Video cameras were built in-house and use custom lenses but will be sent onwards to the BIG BOY MEDIA COMPANY once they FINALLY DECIDE to start selling them to the public!

I am eagerly awaiting the 1DxMk2's and the C700 GS's which are the ones I really want! I need to wait another 1.5 to 2 years though for their full write-down! But because of the Cinema Quality of the video-centric lenses, I won't be complaining too much !!! In the mean time, so long I pay the full replacement cost insurance fees and any deductibles and have a video production-specific 3rd party liability insurance plan, I am good to go for checking almost any lens and camera out of inventory for personal use!

V

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
--

They've already given and sold multiple Canon 5D Mk2's and Canon 5D mk3's to office and warehouse staff. They bought 150 of them back in the day for use onboard UAVs and submersibles and on cars/boats during autonomous mobility systems testing. The Canon 1Dxmk2's and C700 GS's are the ones I REALLY HAVE MY EYE ON!

It takes about 3 to 5 years to write them down depreciation-wise on the accounting books until, essentially for taxation/valuation purposes, they become worth ZERO on the company's books. Once that happens, they put a purchase order schedule in to buy other cameras when they come out (i.e. Sony Venices, Canon C700 FF, Alexa LF's, 1Dx3 Mk3's, Canon R5's, Sony A7s3's etc) and the others get sold/given to staff depending upon if its consumer vs pro cameras.

The 5D mk2's are considered consumer grade so they are GIVEN to staff with one 50mm or 35mm prime lens. The 5D Mk3's and Sony A7s2's are sold for dimes on the dollar to staff (i.e. $150 or less with lenses extra) and the Canon C700 GS I will hopefully be getting for maybe a few thousand WITH the cinema lenses since they are NOT full frame (i.e. S-35) and we are only buying full frame or larger from now on. The Medium Format Global Shutter combine Stills/Video cameras were built in-house and use custom lenses but will be sent onwards to the BIG BOY MEDIA COMPANY once they FINALLY DECIDE to start selling them to the public!

I am eagerly awaiting the 1DxMk2's and the C700 GS's which are the ones I really want! I need to wait another 1.5 to 2 years though for their full write-down! But because of the Cinema Quality of the video-centric lenses, I won't be complaining too much !!! In the mean time, so long I pay the full replacement cost insurance fees and any deductibles and have a video production-specific 3rd party liability insurance plan, I am good to go for checking almost any lens and camera out of inventory for personal use!

V
Well, Harry, all I can then say is that "You are one lucky duck".

Upvote 0