Let’s talk about the Canon EOS R1 development [CR2]

According to USA Today and Variety, respectively, US Summer 2016 Olympics viewership, across all platforms, was 27.5 million, and for the Winter 2018 Olympics, 17.8 million. That's a difference of about 35%, which is far less than the factor of 1000 that your numbers claim.

Having now researched Olympics viewership, I'm even more convinced that Canon would do well to showcase the R1 at the Winter 2022 Olympics.

===

Statista.com ( a decent quality and newsworthy statistics site) says that the 2010 Winter Games in Vancouver and Whistler, Canada (I live in Vancouver and Ski in Whistler often!) had a global TV and Online audience of 1.82 Billion People while the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic games has a global TV and Online audience of 2.1 Billion Viewers.

---

In terms of Camera Gear, Canon had better be coming out with BETTER IMAGE QUALITY and more FEATURE-RICH hybrid cameras and lens products because the UPCOMING GIANT 1000 KILO GORILLA in town is APPLE !!! And what is coming out from that behemoth IS UTTERLY STUNNING !!!

There! I just blabbed it out for the world to see!

Apple has two Large Sensor IP-69/MilSpec 810-G ruggedized PRO-LEVEL Super-Smartphones (2/3rds sensor and APS-C sensor) with FOUR TIMES the average system memory (64 gigs System RAM) and flash storage (1 and 2 TB) coming out soon!

Apple has a DCI 8K 120 fps 16 bits per channel Global Shutter MF Stills/Video camera (64-bit colour RGBA/YCbCrA with IR-based Kinect-like Alpha channel 3D distance measurement for all pixels and current GPS/3D-XYZ Orientation and Lens Metadata for every video frame and still photo!).

It has a whole set of VERY high-end stabilized Apple-branded prime and zoom and wide/telephoto lenses coming out! AND an Apple A12+ ARM-based super-chip is being PUT INTO The camera and phones for real-time computational imaging that will OUTPERFORM anything on the market and end-users CAN ADD NEW REAL-TIME and DELAYED STILL PHOTO and VIDEO PROCESSING FUNCTIONALITY for both the super-smartphones and the MF GS camera via an easy-to-use SDK!

Apple has one FULLY-ENCLOSED office-ready, small 300mm by 300mm by 300mm 3D-XYZ Plastic Filament and one large fully-enclosed and office-ready 750mm by 750mm by 750mm cubic print area Metal Powder Deposition Printer and REALLY EASY-TO-USE 3D CAD/CAM/FEA software are also coming out soon after the cameras and super-smartphones! What Apple did with its Laserprinter and Desktop publishing systems is NOW coming out for the world of 3D-XYZ plastic filament and metal powder deposition printing!

Apple now has a 32 inch DCI 8K (8192 x 4320 pixel) 240 Hz production reference monitor with 16 bits per RGBA channel enhanced premium OLED output to match the new MF GS cameras and PRO-LEVEL computers coming out. It is nearly HALF the price of the super high end ENKI displays with 16-bits per channel image processing and output. AMD is the partner on a NEW 64-bit RGBA/YCbCrA pixel PRO-LEVEL graphics card to be used on the new OLED displays with proper 64-bit RGBA/YCbCrA 240 Hz drivers!

Apple now has an 83 Inch DCI 16K (16,284 by 8640 pixels) 120 Hz quad-input super-large display at 10 Bit REC.2020 HDR image processing allows four separate DCI 8K 120 fps video inputs OR one 16,284 by 8640 pixel desktop resolution at 120 Hz refresh at 10-bit HDR REC.2020 display using TWO attached GPUs for the new pro-level 64-bit colour workstation-class computers coming out that will BLOW AWAY the HP Z-series pro-level workstations in terms of actual performance and having very reasonable price levels for what you get!

THERE AGAIN !! It's all blabbed out for the world to know!

APPLE IS COMING FOR YA CANON !!!

YOU BETTER UP YOUR GAME cuz this behemoth Apple has SERIOUS MONEY and technical talent behind it and it is coming A LOT SOONER THAN YOU COULD POSSIBLY IMAGINE !!!!

V

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Well, there's the Sigma 60-600 mm Sports lens that is a bit better quality than the others you named from what I know. I suspect eventually, they'll do a follow up for mirrorless bodies.

I’ve heard that too, but my primary set-up now is the R5 with the EOS-R as my secondary - all of my DSLRs are on the shelf as backups to my backup. All of my lenses from here on out will be native RF.

I’ve also heard that the adapted Sigma lenses aren’t as fast on the RF mount as they were on the EF mount.

Upvote 0
As a wildlife shooter I've always been tempted by the Sigma 150-600 as well as the Tamron 150-600, but the image quality out of those lenses always leaves me wanting and I end up sticking with Canon's 100-400L II.

I know the guys that shoot the shorter glass get great results from the Sigma Art lenses. I wish Sigma would come up wit a 50-600 Art lens for the guys that are will to pay a little more for a really nice quality third party lens.

I just rented a 100-400 f/5.6 II on Monday and the IQ difference between it and the Sigma version is negligible on the R6. Of course the Canon version focuses faster (but just barely), but it’s also bigger and heavier and 3x the cost. Maybe I’m the only one who thinks this, but I used them both on the same day in the same conditions. In some cases the Sigma IQ is better, believe it or not. I don’t know if that’s a result of the R6 sensor just being that good, or if I need to get my eyes checked. But I was expecting a lot more out of the Canon version. Sigma offers tremendous bang for your buck.

I also have the latest Sigma EF 70-200 f/2.8 that I bought for $1000 new, which easily matches the Canon 70-200 III at every metric. The only downside is it's a bit heavier than the Canon version. Maybe a few years ago 1st party was your only real option for a high quality lens, but these days it’s not so clear cut.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
===

Statista.com ( a decent quality and newsworthy statistics site) says that the 2010 Winter Games in Vancouver and Whistler, Canada (I live in Vancouver and Ski in Whistler often!) had a global TV and Online audience of 1.82 Billion People while the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic games has a global TV and Online audience of 2.1 Billion Viewers.

---

In terms of Camera Gear, Canon had better be coming out with BETTER IMAGE QUALITY and more FEATURE-RICH hybrid cameras and lens products because the UPCOMING GIANT 1000 KILO GORILLA in town is APPLE !!! And what is coming out from that behemoth IS UTTERLY STUNNING !!!

There! I just blabbed it out for the world to see!

Apple has two Large Sensor IP-69/MilSpec 810-G ruggedized PRO-LEVEL Super-Smartphones (2/3rds sensor and APS-C sensor) with FOUR TIMES the average system memory (64 gigs System RAM) and flash storage (1 and 2 TB) coming out soon!

Apple has a DCI 8K 120 fps 16 bits per channel Global Shutter MF Stills/Video camera (64-bit colour RGBA/YCbCrA with IR-based Kinect-like Alpha channel 3D distance measurement for all pixels and current GPS/3D-XYZ Orientation and Lens Metadata for every video frame and still photo!).

It has a whole set of VERY high-end stabilized Apple-branded prime and zoom and wide/telephoto lenses coming out! AND an Apple A12+ ARM-based super-chip is being PUT INTO The camera and phones for real-time computational imaging that will OUTPERFORM anything on the market and end-users CAN ADD NEW REAL-TIME and DELAYED STILL PHOTO and VIDEO PROCESSING FUNCTIONALITY for both the super-smartphones and the MF GS camera via an easy-to-use SDK!

Apple has one FULLY-ENCLOSED office-ready, small 300mm by 300mm by 300mm 3D-XYZ Plastic Filament and one large fully-enclosed and office-ready 750mm by 750mm by 750mm cubic print area Metal Powder Deposition Printer and REALLY EASY-TO-USE 3D CAD/CAM/FEA software are also coming out soon after the cameras and super-smartphones! What Apple did with its Laserprinter and Desktop publishing systems is NOW coming out for the world of 3D-XYZ plastic filament and metal powder deposition printing!

Apple now has a 32 inch DCI 8K (8192 x 4320 pixel) 240 Hz production reference monitor with 16 bits per RGBA channel enhanced premium OLED output to match the new MF GS cameras and PRO-LEVEL computers coming out. It is nearly HALF the price of the super high end ENKI displays with 16-bits per channel image processing and output. AMD is the partner on a NEW 64-bit RGBA/YCbCrA pixel PRO-LEVEL graphics card to be used on the new OLED displays with proper 64-bit RGBA/YCbCrA 240 Hz drivers!

Apple now has an 83 Inch DCI 16K (16,284 by 8640 pixels) 120 Hz quad-input super-large display at 10 Bit REC.2020 HDR image processing allows four separate DCI 8K 120 fps video inputs OR one 16,284 by 8640 pixel desktop resolution at 120 Hz refresh at 10-bit HDR REC.2020 display using TWO attached GPUs for the new pro-level 64-bit colour workstation-class computers coming out that will BLOW AWAY the HP Z-series pro-level workstations in terms of actual performance and having very reasonable price levels for what you get!

THERE AGAIN !! It's all blabbed out for the world to know!

APPLE IS COMING FOR YA CANON !!!

YOU BETTER UP YOUR GAME cuz this behemoth Apple has SERIOUS MONEY and technical talent behind it and it is coming A LOT SOONER THAN YOU COULD POSSIBLY IMAGINE !!!!

V
Too many cups of coffee today?
Apple may have all that but won't have the volume to make the pricing low and in general are not price leaders (iPhone SE is a bit different). I have an apple environment at home and it is worthwhile for me but there are limits to what I will spend (even with Canon!)
Disruption in the marketplace is to be expected these days. Let's enjoy the ride.
Brands don't define everyone and we are free to choose what we buy.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Please god not another lame 20MP sensor, global shutter or not. 30MP+ and then I'm very interested.

Global shutters have not been released until now for FF becuase DR is much worse than rolling shutter. Canon, Sony and Panasonic have patented different solutions for greatly improved DR so looks like Canon has finally got it ready for prime time. Wonder if it based on the previously released patent or they have something else up their sleeve. Or they could be like Nikon with the D6 and not really care about DR in the class of camera.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Frankly, I am annoyed that I can't reassign my "rate" button on my R5! I never rate my shots (YMMV) but it would be very useful in my underwater housing
I only rate in editing so I agree with this. Let’s rally for firmware!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Rivermist

Mirrorless or bust.
Apr 27, 2019
Houston
According to USA Today and Variety, respectively, US Summer 2016 Olympics viewership, across all platforms, was 27.5 million, and for the Winter 2018 Olympics, 17.8 million. That's a difference of about 35%, which is far less than the factor of 1000 that your numbers claim.

Having now researched Olympics viewership, I'm even more convinced that Canon would do well to showcase the R1 at the Winter 2022 Olympics.
No contest my friend, I did a quick google and no issue with your numbers. However as a marketing professional, I would go for the differed 2021 summer Olympics if my product people tell me that they can have the right stuff ready for the event, a year is a lifetime on the world of technology. Which does not in any way preclude having a huge presence at the winter Olympics in 2022, with a 200-500 / 1.4x super zoom, an R1-mk2, you name it.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Too many cups of coffee today?
Apple may have all that but won't have the volume to make the pricing low and in general are not price leaders (iPhone SE is a bit different). I have an apple environment at home and it is worthwhile for me but there are limits to what I will spend (even with Canon!)
Disruption in the marketplace is to be expected these days. Let's enjoy the ride.
Brands don't define everyone and we are free to choose what we buy.

---

Apple can sell 217+ MILLION iPhones in 2018 (stats from Statista.com) so I think they can make and sell a BOATLOAD of new MF cameras, high end lenses (I am GUESSING the prime and zoom lenses are likely to be finally produced by SIGMA in Japan or Samyang Optics in South Korea -- the MF Camera and 16-bits-per-channel OLED Display panels themselves are PROBABLY going to be both made by LG with Apple-modded Sony Global Shutter Sensors -- The large image sensor super-smartphones are probably going to be made by TMSC in Taiwan or India with Sony Exmor GS Sensors!)

Apple's 3D printers LIKELY MAY be made by MarkedForge in the USA itself. The 32 inch and 83 inch displays are probably being assembled by TSMC in USA (Texas or Arizona) or Mexico using 8K and 16k resolution LG panels. The new 64-bit RGBA AMD GPU Super-Workstations will likely be made in USA probably in California or Texas.

Prices will be HIGH for consumers but very reasonable for BUSINESSES which will be the NEXT NEW primary market! Apple is going after the around-15,000,000 small to medium engineering, manufacturing and design houses that are around the world and even IF it gets only 10% of the market, the cost on 1.5 million items at $25,000 PER YEAR is a $37.5 Billion USD initial market share in just the first year!

And that market share COULD RISE to as much as $150 Billion+ Per Year by 2035! Those New Large Sensor Pro-level Super-Smartphones, MF Global Shutter Cameras+Lenses, the 3D Printers and the Apple-branded Plastic/Metal Powder Media is going to be near 60% of Apples Revenue by 2035! Apple+ Media Production and the lower-cost CONSUMER iPhones will then bulk out the rest of that revenue!

Canon is in FOR A REAL ROUGH RIDE once Apple BULKS UP with its pro-level media production and 3D printing products!

Those Large Sensor Super-Smartphones just themselves will KILL Canon's low-end M50 and Powershot camera market if they don't respond with more camera/lens features and better image quality at a better price. AND Canon NEEDS to get into Medium Format Sized pro-levels sensors at the $3500-to-$6000 price points --- An XC-20 MF style camera with a 65mm 60 fps 8K sensor non-overheating Global Shutter sensor WOULD work for that market!

To compete with a MONSTER company like Apple though, Canon MUST get into ruggedized pro-level Large Sensor 5G Super-Smartphones that have 64-to-128 Gigabytes of SYSTEM RAM, 1 to 4 terabytes of Flash Storage AND a large 2/3rds inch, 1 inch or APS-C sensors that sell for less than $2000 USD and a cheaper but still rugged 32 gig System RAM and One TB flash storage with 2/3rds inch sensor 5G smartphone for $900 just might save them from Apple's coming onslaught of new gear!

Canon AND Sony are in danger of being WIPED OUT by upcoming Apple and Samsung Super-Mobile Phone and BIG SENSOR Camera Systems and THEY MUST RESPOND by Next Year!

Is Canon DOOOOOOOOOMED ?????

I do must say that Apple IS coming fast so they BETTER RESPOND SOONER RATHER THAN LATER !!!!!!

V

Upvote 0

PhotoGenerous

R5/R6 + GAS
CR Pro
Apr 11, 2017
---

Apple can sell 217+ MILLION iPhones in 2018 (stats from Statista.com) so I think they can make and sell a BOATLOAD of new MF cameras, high end lenses (I am GUESSING the prime and zoom lenses are likely to be finally produced by SIGMA in Japan or Samyang Optics in South Korea -- the MF Camera and 16-bits-per-channel OLED Display panels themselves are PROBABLY going to be both made by LG with Apple-modded Sony Global Shutter Sensors -- The large image sensor super-smartphones are probably going to be made by TMSC in Taiwan or India with Sony Exmor GS Sensors!)

Apple's 3D printers LIKELY MAY be made by MarkedForge in the USA itself. The 32 inch and 83 inch displays are probably being assembled by TSMC in USA (Texas or Arizona) or Mexico using 8K and 16k resolution LG panels. The new 64-bit RGBA AMD GPU Super-Workstations will likely be made in USA probably in California or Texas.

Prices will be HIGH for consumers but very reasonable for BUSINESSES which will be the NEXT NEW primary market! Apple is going after the around-15,000,000 small to medium engineering, manufacturing and design houses that are around the world and even IF it gets only 10% of the market, the cost on 1.5 million items at $25,000 PER YEAR is a $37.5 Billion USD initial market share in just the first year!

And that market share COULD RISE to as much as $150 Billion+ Per Year by 2035! Those New Large Sensor Pro-level Super-Smartphones, MF Global Shutter Cameras+Lenses, the 3D Printers and the Apple-branded Plastic/Metal Powder Media is going to be near 60% of Apples Revenue by 2035! Apple+ Media Production and the lower-cost CONSUMER iPhones will then bulk out the rest of that revenue!

Canon is in FOR A REAL ROUGH RIDE once Apple BULKS UP with its pro-level media production and 3D printing products!

Those Large Sensor Super-Smartphones just themselves will KILL Canon's low-end M50 and Powershot camera market if they don't respond with more camera/lens features and better image quality at a better price. AND Canon NEEDS to get into Medium Format Sized pro-levels sensors at the $3500-to-$6000 price points --- An XC-20 MF style camera with a 65mm 60 fps 8K sensor non-overheating Global Shutter sensor WOULD work for that market!

To compete with a MONSTER company like Apple though, Canon MUST get into ruggedized pro-level Large Sensor 5G Super-Smartphones that have 64-to-128 Gigabytes of SYSTEM RAM, 1 to 4 terabytes of Flash Storage AND a large 2/3rds inch, 1 inch or APS-C sensors that sell for less than $2000 USD and a cheaper but still rugged 32 gig System RAM and One TB flash storage with 2/3rds inch sensor 5G smartphone for $900 just might save them from Apple's coming onslaught of new gear!

Canon AND Sony are in danger of being WIPED OUT by upcoming Apple and Samsung Super-Mobile Phone and BIG SENSOR Camera Systems and THEY MUST RESPOND by Next Year!

Is Canon DOOOOOOOOOMED ?????

I do must say that Apple IS coming fast so they BETTER RESPOND SOONER RATHER THAN LATER !!!!!!

V

So was that a yes about the coffee?

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0
I guess I'll be the party pooper. The idea that an RF mount 1-series body form (which is a blessing and a curse) might be very attractive because it has a global shutter is to assume that the R5's rolling shutter is significant - and it's not. The R5 has about as much rolling shutter (slightly less in my tests) than the Sony A9 series. That the new camera would be limited in megapixels would be to fail to improve the one complaint that most have about the 1 series - a resolution roughly equivalent to the 1dx introduced in 2012. That'll be 10 years prior to this new release date.

Personally, I'd much rather up the megapixels and suffer with the current, quite low, levels rolling shutter.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I guess I'll be the party pooper. The idea that an RF mount 1-series body form (which is a blessing and a curse) might be very attractive because it has a global shutter is to assume that the R5's rolling shutter is significant - and it's not. The R5 has about as much rolling shutter (slightly less in my tests) than the Sony A9 series. That the new camera would be limited in megapixels would be to fail to improve the one complaint that most have about the 1 series - a resolution roughly equivalent to the 1dx introduced in 2012. That'll be 10 years prior to this new release date.

Personally, I'd much rather up the megapixels and suffer with the current, quite low, levels rolling shutter.
there are other issues associated with the electronic first curtain and all electronic shutter: a weird bokeh appearance for a larger aperture lenses, limited usability in challenging lighting conditions (flickering light, etc. and my personal favourite: virtually unrestricted global shutter flash X-Sync speed.. Need 1/10000 X-Sync? yup, you got it :)

Upvote 0
Shouldn't it be called the Canon EOS 1R or even 1RX rather than the R1? I think so. Fits in with Canon's EOS ONE too.

No matter what it is called it is going to be an amazing camera. Will I upgrade? Probably not, depends on whether I need to buy new glass/sell my old stuff. Am hoping EF glass my come down in price as there are still a few I would like.......

Upvote 0