Next step in tele - difficult decision - especially now in between EF and RF.

nc0b

5DsR
Dec 3, 2013
Colorado
I had a similar experience with my 400/5.6, 1.4x and 5DsR. In tests I found that the teleconverter (mk1) didn't produce better files than simply cropping 1.4x. I regret selling the 1.4x as my R gets a lot more use than the 5DsR.

With my 5DsR I found I could use my 1.4X TC III with my 100-400mm II, but when used with my 400mm f/5.6 the CA was not acceptable. What I would like to know is how well does IBIS work on an R5 with the 400mm f/5.6. Does it stabilize the EVF well, and how many stops of stabilization does it actually provide to the digital image?

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Thank you all above for your advice.
You shift me towards an early adoptation of the R5/6.
All three of you seem to point to - which was my underlying concern - a solution based solely on R-system being preferable compared to mixing EF and R-system.
Especially when the timing is as it is. (I guess I shold have invested in the 400mm DO much earlier - but that is another story).

Speculation for me is, that future big whites will be RF-based and are likely to be even better on R-cameras than current EF lenses.
So whether to go with the already announced 100-500 mm or with some yet to come bigger whites can be open options for now.

Thanks again.

PS: Some of my Wild-life work can be seen at: https://symphoto.smugmug.com/Wild-Life
Thanks for the link !(y)
Great pictures!

Upvote 0
Dear all.
Thank you again for your comments and input. Much appreciated.
I took the plunge into R-land. Since mid December I am the happy owner of R5 and RF 100-500mm.
The camera just blows me away - so fast, responsive, good in low light, and both AF and IBIS works magic.
The tele-zoom is equally as good - and together this is all that I hoped for.
True, the speed of the zoom (7.1 @ 500mm) is not impressive, but the camera makes up for it in many ways - AF, high ISO, IBIS.
best regards
PK
@David: Gorgeous bird-shot. Hoping to come closer to doing something like that before long - maybe the kingfishers in spring. (A guy can hope - even more so now)

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Dear all
After about one month of usage my experience is a confirmation of first impressions just above.
And I can add, that the RF 1.4 TC works very well with the combo. The rather slow optics is quite well covered for by great IS and good high ISO performance.
To prove my point - and referring to my wish above for kingfishers - I can add, that I got some already. And once I came really close - se two examples here.
Both at 700mm @f/10 (max speed with TC). No 1 @ ISO 1000, No 2 @ ISO 1600.
I recommend displaying at full resolution to get an idea of the level of detail.
Couldn't be more happy.

_MG_5692 DPP-Edit.jpg_MG_5837 DPP-Edit.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Dear all
After about one month of usage my experience is a confirmation of first impressions just above.
And I can add, that the RF 1.4 TC works very well with the combo. The rather slow optics is quite well covered for by great IS and good high ISO performance.
To prove my point - and referring to my wish above for kingfishers - I can add, that I got some already. And once I came really close - se two examples here.
Both at 700mm @f/10 (max speed with TC). No 1 @ ISO 1000, No 2 @ ISO 1600.
Couldn't be more happy.

View attachment 195636View attachment 195637

Very nice shots!

My only thought relative to my typical shooting is that I'm ecstatic if I can be at ISO1250, very happy at 1600 but usually find myself above and my typical scenario is 400X2 @F8 with ISOs ranging up to 6400. The 1DX2 handles the high ISOs quite well but of course it's only 20 MP so I'm wondering just how the R5 will compare since I plan to buy it by spring.

Jack

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Very nice shots!

My only thought relative to my typical shooting is that I'm ecstatic if I can be at ISO1250, very happy at 1600 but usually find myself above and my typical scenario is 400X2 @F8 with ISOs ranging up to 6400. The 1DX2 handles the high ISOs quite well but of course it's only 20 MP so I'm wondering just how the R5 will compare since I plan to buy it by spring.

Jack
I'd wait for the Mk. II. That's at least what I'll be doing. And then, I'll decide: R5 Mk.II or R3...;)

Upvote 0