The next firmware for the Canon EOS R5 is still on schedule for November

jonrosenberry

1dx iii
Oct 27, 2020
5.5k raw is based on the size of the 1DXiii's sensor ie full width. The R5 can only do 8K raw from the full sensor width. Everything else is either cropped from full frame, pixel binned/line skipped or downsampled. With cinema raw lite, the bit rates may be low enough to record 8k raw internally to SD card or externally via HDMI.

Thanks, my questions was not clear, so I just updated it. What I was asking was whether or not the 1dx iii will see a similar firmware update that will allow it to have additional bit rate options for recording in 5.5k raw. Right now the 5.5k raw (50/59.94p) bit rate is approx. 2600 Mbps, which is 341 MB/s, where as the c200 footage is 125 MB/s. The c200 in 4k uses 10bit raw recording when shooting at 60fps rather than 12bit (It does do 12 bit in 24/30fps). It would be nice to see a 10bit raw option in both the r5 and the 1dx iii.

Upvote 0
I must say, I am very interested in fhd 120. If the dynamic range is fine, it could be a great option.
I think slowmotion is always a super easy way to improve boring footage that you get at the typical event one may film. Also good for imagefilms.
A good FHD image should be good enough when it comes to detail... sadly canon is not that great in that area, given the awful FHD image tht the 5D IV and 1DX II produce.
lets hope for the best. Could be a good alternative to 4k120 which is sadly SUPER quick to overheat. External recording would be nice as well, but I think thats limited due to hardware? 4k120 external would be great...

I'm super happy with the 1080 from the R5 and adding 120fps is going to be something I will use often.....my R5 definitely delivers more dynamic range and sharpness than my 5DIV but I wasn't that unhappy with the 5DIV as you seem to be.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Contrary to their name, those aren't RAW, they are debayered and downscaled TIFFs. So, personally, I like the C-RAW option a lot better, a nice space saving while keeping the same resolution.
The CRaw does have the same number of pixels as raw, but I don't know if I'd say it has the same resolution. It has removed half of the data, so it can't be exactly the same. But the detailed reviews I've seen make it appear that it's almost visibly the same when pixel peeped, which is a great thing. I do wonder what difference it makes when using DXO Photolab4 from raw vs cRaw?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
We've had a few people try to methodically narrow down the circumstances under which the freezes happen. This has been very unsuccessful, largely due to the fact the freezes are so infrequent. From reports, we do know that there are some factors that are not responsible for all freezes, as listed in the above link, as we have examples where cameras have frozen with different settings.

One thing that *appears* to be somewhat consistent is that people tend to see freezes more often when they first get the camera, and then less frequently as time passes. This may be anecdotal (everything here is anecdotal). :)
Anecdotally, I haven't seen a freeze in 3 months now... or maybe once - maybe (not sure) - and turning off/on fixed it.

Upvote 0
Thanks, my questions was not clear, so I just updated it. What I was asking was whether or not the 1dx iii will see a similar firmware update that will allow it to have additional bit rate options for recording in 5.5k raw. Right now the 5.5k raw (50/59.94p) bit rate is approx. 2600 Mbps, which is 341 MB/s, where as the c200 footage is 125 MB/s. The c200 in 4k uses 10bit raw recording when shooting at 60fps rather than 12bit (It does do 12 bit in 24/30fps). It would be nice to see a 10bit raw option in both the r5 and the 1dx iii.
The R5 manual has 2600Mbps for 8k/30 DCI raw so about the same as 5.5k/60 raw. Hopefully Cinema raw lite/lower bit rates will also come in a future 1DXiii firmware update. Not needed for internal storage speed but to reduce storage space. It should allow external recording of 5.5k/60 raw as well
It only mentions 8 or 10 bit in relation to SD card performance. Raw should be 10 bit in theory.
UHS-II SD cards are rated to 300MB/s but in practice only about 8 cards are above 200MB/s sustained write speed.
10 bit.JPG

Upvote 0
I was going to post — for my first post — that the firmware update that I would like to see is a very firm R5 delivery — when I got notification that my R5 is BEING PREPARED FOR DELIVERY! Ordered from Adorama on July 9th (afternoon) — it’s almost here!

I ordered mine on August 5th from Adorama and my order is processing too! A customer service representative told me a couple of weeks ago that I get it next week. Lol I didn't believe him.

Upvote 0

rinamiele

R5 + 1DX3
CR Pro
Jan 21, 2018
New York
rinamiele.com
"4K raw" isn't possible unless cropped from 8k raw. Reviewers have been very happy with 4kHQ. With CLOG2/3 it should be close to be as flexible as a RAW file in post. Cinema lite should address the storage requirements but processor intensive for compressing/decompressing.

Yea. I understand - makes sense. Can only process so much data! I am certainly happy with the quality of the 4K HQ. RAW would just be more about color grading flexibility. But as you mentioned CLOG 2/3 would certainly help with that. I'm still pretty happy with the R5 as is! Just nit picking - isn't that what we do? HEH! Excited for any updates for sure.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
A few choices of reduced RAW file sizes like... 24mp, 12mp, and 6mp would be nice for us shooters who like the capture features, but find the file size a massive over-kill and a production snail-maker.. I just got it delivered yesterday and was really shocked that Canon didn't provide any kind of reduced RAW file sizes.. Only 45mp..! That makes this camera useless for my agency weddings I get.. and or some of my publishers who do not want anything larger than 12-18mp...max..! Canon Techs, I do hope you are reading this.
Please don't be a hit-and-run critic. Fussing about the minimum file size produced by a 45MP sensor seems a little bit illogical.

Have you read the Advanced User's Guide, as others have suggested? There are several options other than "Only 45mp...!"

Upvote 0
one thing most video user didnt know they really need is the new codec. i hope its h265 10bit 4:2:0 codec . because it support hardware encoding by gpu manufacture such as nvidia & amd. it deliver smoother editing process. it still 10 bit so it still give smoother color gradation than 8bit just less color accurate & most people won't really notice it anyway . Current 10 bit 4:2:2 didnt support hardware encoding which make editing such a pain even editing at 1/4 quality.

For the R6, here is my wishlist:

1. No random freezing when shooting 4K60
2. Clog3 and Clog2 (something with better dynamic range than clog)
3. 10-bit 4:2:0
4. Overheating refinements
5. Autofocus refinements

Upvote 0
Anecdotally, I haven't seen a freeze in 3 months now... or maybe once - maybe (not sure) - and turning off/on fixed it.
I haven't seen a freeze for several weeks now, five or six in first 5 weeks , none in past four weeks despite shooting over 10,000 images on 20 occasions. Only thing I did different was format both cards each time before a shoot

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
ouch! i've never had a freeze. do you have the latest firmware in the camera *and* lens you're using? beyond that maybe it's time for a warranty fix (yikes)?

I do have the latest firmware installed. I see the issue with an RF 28 - 70 lens and several EF lenses with the adapter on. I have platinum CPS and sent the camera in. They ran tests, which didn't indicate any issues, so sent the camera back. I am not real happy with Canon, or Canon CPS right now.

Upvote 0
I haven't seen a freeze for several weeks now, five or six in first 5 weeks , none in past four weeks despite shooting over 10,000 images on 20 occasions. Only thing I did different was format both cards each time before a shoot

That is great! I always format both cards before a new shoot. I have tried using a ProGrade CFExpress and a Lexar CFExpress and still had freezes. I'd try others, but those cards aren't cheap...

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I do have the latest firmware installed. I see the issue with an RF 28 - 70 lens and several EF lenses with the adapter on. I have platinum CPS and sent the camera in. They ran tests, which didn't indicate any issues, so sent the camera back. I am not real happy with Canon, or Canon CPS right now.
Wow - if they can't find any issues, why can't they keep that R5 and send you a new one, or certified refurbished one (at your choice)? That'd make me a lot happier if I were in your shoes. I assume platinum CPS is a add-on service plan, right? You'd really think they could swap bodies to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Upvote 0